• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - The Diary of Anne Frank

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

It really captures that Anne was just a normal teenage girl.

Nah-ah, if it's anything a slice-of-life show learned on us. Wink
MiwaSatoshi
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Okay, the Overly Attached Girlfriend comparison make me chuckle. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
The DVD of this movie cycles though my local Book-Off every once in a while. I've thought about picking it up a time or two, but have never gotten around to it. I'm glad to read this review and the other comments as well. The character designs don't look bad at all to me, though as others have said, maybe it's more of a problem when they're in motion.

----------------
My pile of shame for the week: "Iriya's Sky, UFO Summer" OVAs and some original "Dirty Pair" OVAs. The former is an attempt to cram four light novels' worth of material into a total of three hours' running time without making any effort to rework the material to play as a film. There's a reason this was never licensed.

The latter is classic stuff, though. Each episode feels about twice as long as it really is -- but in a good way, because they're briskly paced with about twice as much stuff going on per episode as you get in a typical anime. The dialog is fun and the hard SF concepts are welcome. (Trivia: Sasamoto Yuichi (Ariel/Bodacious Space Pirates) is credited as the screenwriter for the second episode). There's a reason audiences are still discovering this series after so many years.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
The DVD of this movie cycles though my local Book-Off every once in a while. I've thought about picking it up a time or two, but have never gotten around to it. I'm glad to read this review and the other comments as well. The character designs don't look bad at all to me, though as others have said, maybe it's more of a problem when they're in motion.

I'm checking some youtube clips and the level of detail is pretty ridiculous.

It doesn't look like a flashy movie, but the treatment is interesting to me since it not all up in my face with everything.

Also, I'm not sure why one would complain about the angles or whatever when a lot of the shots are actually composed really well... it's very pro stuff and I actually kinda wish more anime looked like this and had stories that were told with this kind of sensibility.

I'll probably try to get a fansub to see the rest of it.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Much as I didn't like it, I'm really happy to see that people want to try it regardless. It IS unique, if nothing else.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote
The little I've seen leads me to believe that this movie has some of the best depictions of every day life I've seen in anime in forever.

I actually really like that they keep a lot of distance in the storytelling since it doesn't feel like they're humping my leg to get me to like the work better.
Ian K

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Weirdly enough, Justin's descriptions of long shots, attempts at realistic faces, and unmoving cameras really intrigues me. The various commenters who enjoyed the film aren't helping.

I'm going to have to see this, aren't I.
PipingHotTea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
A litttle surprising to see this featured and the only time I saw this film was just a random search. But anyways, I agree that the animation maybe a bit more of a miss than a swing. But I will disagree with the character designs, Anne Frank's eyebrows are fine and the designs reminds me of a bit of Monster.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
The eyebrows are actually true to life:

You'll notice that she really did have those thick bushy eyebrows, so you can't blame the character designer for that.

However, her hairstyle, nose and the mouth are all wrong.

Of course, I'm less interested in what she looks like and more concerned with how bad the cinematography is.

I have this movie on my computer, unwatched so far due to being too busy, and now I am seriously thinking of just deleting it. Although maybe I'll give it a go anyway, because studying a complete disaster and seeing where it went wrong is actually quite educational.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:17 am Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
Weirdly enough, Justin's descriptions of long shots, attempts at realistic faces, and unmoving cameras really intrigues me. The various commenters who enjoyed the film aren't helping.

I'm going to have to see this, aren't I.

Maybe we both are. I've heard that long, unbroken shots with an unmoving camera are part of Ozu Yasujiro's signature style. Could that be what they were going for? Roger Ebert's Great Movies reviews have convinced me I need to see some of Ozu's films someday.
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:23 am Reply with quote
Oh though you disliked this film I am actually quite interested in watching it and seeing what was the attempt of director.This can be quite an educational experience.
Orange Hollow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:43 am Reply with quote
アンネ is "anne" in romaji, not annu.
Sam1198777

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote
Hey theree
Okay so this review is completely mean
I don't see how a person can bash this movie
You say that it's animation was dull and the characters had no fluidity in their expressions,well,that is utterly wrong. Why were you even looking for style and fluid animation in a 1995 animated movie? :s You want style and you care for no substance? well then,you should totally adore the trainwreck called guilty crown then ._.
you need to understand that not every piece of animation can be as fluid as Fate/Zero or as intensely animated like Hyouka.
This movie adapted the book in a GORGEOUS way,and i will completely go against your sentence "But I can't think of a worse way to experience the story than watching this film",infact it is THE BEST way to experience the diary of Anne Frank,have you even read the book properly? How can you say that then,the book's way drier and weird. and i really don't know why you would put this gem in the pile of shame. I really think you should reconsider,and no,i'm not related to anne frank in any way so people cant accuse me of being biased or anything,but this truly was a moving masterpiece and Nyman's music added beautifully to this movie.
So yeah,not every piece of work is about class,you should worry more about the substance man,and this movie had the most of that.
also one more thing,the characters had to look a bit dull in this movie and the animators really outdid themselves as they created the characters in a non-squeaky eyed way and as realistic as they could at that time,if they closed up at every single character's face in the movie then it would have become much gloomier than it already was,though do note that being gloomy is not a negative here.
So dont just dump this classic into the pile of shame for no reason
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

Maybe we both are. I've heard that long, unbroken shots with an unmoving camera are part of Ozu Yasujiro's signature style. Could that be what they were going for? Roger Ebert's Great Movies reviews have convinced me I need to see some of Ozu's films someday.

There was nothing in the film that particularly reminded me of Yasujiro Ozu.

That being said I agree you should see some Ozu. He is one of my favorite directors.

dtm42 wrote:

Although maybe I'll give it a go anyway, because studying a complete disaster and seeing where it went wrong is actually quite educational.

It wasn't a complete disaster though, it was a very faithful adaption of Anne's diary.

I think Justin didn't like the minimalistic approach but I think that was appropriate for this type of story. It wasn't flashy but it respected its material.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
This was what I thought near the end when they were being carted away:

Yes, I am a horrible human being.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3