• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wolf Children, SAO, Kuroko's Basketball Win Tokyo Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote
This should be renamed the best selling anime award because that is what it really reflects.

It is a shame to see Wolf Children in the same category as SAO but Wolf Children happened to sell well and be a quality piece of work.

So yes popularity can=quality but it shouldn't be the only measure.

I wish this commitee would explain its reasoning for awarding SAO & Kuruko no Basket best series of the year. I would like to know what they did for anime besides make money?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I also think this best anime series award is all about popularity and sales numbers. To me the best anime series of 2012 were Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! and Kids on the Slope.

I definitely thank Japanese fans for strengthening the anime industry by spending a lot of money on inconsistent series like Sword Art Online. But every time I read about awards like this, I wonder if there are any people in the Japanese fandom with critical eyes to distinguish between crappy and good anime series.

I wish I could give Japanese fans the benefit of the doubt by convincing myself that Aniplex bribed the selection committee of the Tokyo Anime Awards to grant a recognition to SAO.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I definitely thank Japanese fans for strengthening the anime industry by spending a lot of money on inconsistent series like Sword Art Online. But every time I read about awards like this, I wonder if there are any people in the Japanese fandom with critical eyes to distinguish between crappy and good anime series.

It's a fanbase that on the whole cannot remember any anime past five years ago with minimal exception, so I'm pretty sure that most of them just consume these series blind. Remember how unbelievably huge Haruhi was? I foresee SAO falling to the wayside in time, just like that franchise did.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
It's a fanbase that on the whole cannot remember any anime past five years ago with minimal exception, so I'm pretty sure that most of them just consume these series blind. Remember how unbelievably huge Haruhi was? I foresee SAO falling to the wayside in time, just like that franchise did.

Madoka too. For all of its current momentum, its going to expend the limits of what GRIMDARK SUPERSURIUS magical girl can do. Beyond that, it just becomes a more serious Nanoha.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
A medium that has to depend on people still enjoying older stuff would be a weakness, since it shows that there isn't enough new anime for people to watch. I'd rather have it like it is now, where we get over 100 new shows a year and theres always new and exciting stuff to watch, instead of having very little anime to watch and needing to depend on old anime I've already seen before to give me entertainment.

Last edited by RyanSaotome on Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnimeDuelist15

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe so many people are hating on Kuroko no Basket.

I totally understand the SAO hate, but Kuroko? I loved that series to death and I am beyond hyped for the second season. I was under the impression that Kuroko was actually a "Good" series.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Wolf Children deserve it and Kuroko's Basketball deserves it (hope they dub it and bring it over)---on the other hand SAO being there is funny and sad

BarCho66

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Wolf Children deserve it and Kuroko's Basketball deserves it (hope they dub it and bring it over)---on the other hand SAO being there is funny and sad

Neither of them did. Hosada movies to awards are becoming non-Cars Pixar movies to the Oscars regardless of actually quality.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Kuroko's deserves it if only on the basis of being a series that has survived as much bullshit as it has.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Kuroko's deserves it if only on the basis of being a series that has survived as much bullshit as it has.

Well this argument I can agree with lol

Anyways I don't put Kuroko on the same level of disappointment that SAO is but I also don't think it offers anything unique for anime as a whole. Again it won because it was a top seller.

Wolf Children however won important awards besides this one and ones the clearly don't just have to do with popularity & sales.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:29 pm Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:
Neither of them did. Hosada movies to awards are becoming non-Cars Pixar movies to the Oscars regardless of actually quality.

I disagree
BarCho66

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Well this argument I can agree with lol

Anyways I don't put Kuroko on the same level of disappointment that SAO is but I also don't think it offers anything unique for anime as a whole. Again it won because it was a top seller.

Wolf Children however won important awards besides this one and ones the clearly don't just have to do with popularity & sales.

I'm not sure what you can consider "important" awards anymore.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
BarCho66 wrote:

I'm not sure what you can consider "important" awards anymore.

It won the Japanese Academy award for best animated film
It won two awards at the Oslo Film from the South (an International award)
It won an audience award at the NY Children's Film Festival (again competing against international films).

So yeah it won several awards that have nothing to do with "sales". And I would be surprised if it didn't win more awards.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote
RagnaVII wrote:
Why did Tintin win the International Award? It's better than having Cars winning, but it wasn't that good. The best non Belgian Tintin is the 1991 Canadian/French series, which was accurate to the books and was entertaining and dark.

It's only competition was Madagascar 3, Brave, Kung Fu Panda 2, and Frankenweenie. Maybe Cars 2, but I'm not sure if that was before the cut-off date or not. For the record, most of those movies (sans Frankenweenie) made more money than Tintin in Japan, so it wasn't much of a popularity vote. Tintin was definitely the most creative out of all of those choices.

RyanSaotome wrote:
A medium that has to depend on people still enjoying older stuff would be a weakness, since it shows that there isn't enough new anime for people to watch. I'd rather have it like it is now, where we get over 100 new shows a year and theres always new and exciting stuff to watch, instead of having very little anime to watch and needing to depend on old anime I've already seen before to give me entertainment.

Pretty much this. I don't see how you can fault the industry and medium for always having a constantly flow of new work for people to enjoy. It's better than old guys sitting around complaining "Man, remember this 10 year old show? They don't make em like that anymore" as if there's anything really left to talk about.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
This should be renamed the best selling anime award because that is what it really reflects.

It is a shame to see Wolf Children in the same category as SAO but Wolf Children happened to sell well and be a quality piece of work.

So yes popularity can=quality but it shouldn't be the only measure.

I wish this commitee would explain its reasoning for awarding SAO & Kuruko no Basket best series of the year. I would like to know what they did for anime besides make money?

If it merely was a matter of "best selling anime" or "most popular", we'd see Fate/Zero Second Season, Nisemonogatari, and possibly Girls und Panzer in there.

For that matter, if a popular series that you like was there in the place of SAO, would you be complaining?

Really, just because you don't think a series was all that, doesn't mean other people don't have good valid reasons for thinking that it was. I'm totally disinterested in Kuroko's Basket, considering it to be just another yaoi bait series. I have no objection to it's placement on the list, obviously the people doing the voting for it see merit in it I do not.

As for the "Best Original Work" I surprised as anyone at the outcome, as my first assumption was also that the "original work" award would be for an anime original series. However, upon further inspection it was awarded to the author Reki Kawahara. Assuming they mean something like originality, or most original story, it makes much more sense. The simple fact of the matter is that Japan has a dearth of series placed in VR settings, and exploring any the implications of it. The last that I can think off offhand is .hack, and that goes a very different direction. For that matter, judging by this article on the awards which mentions his successive hits, it's unclear if they're giving Reki the award for SAO, or giving him the award for all of his works and using SAO as an example. Remember, Accel World came out in 2012 as well. Haruyuki is an unusual choice for a main character. It also used VR as a setting, and went a different direction with it than SAO. Furthermore, it uses man-machine interface computers in a casual, everyday life way I can only recall seeing(in anime) in Ghost in the Shell.

So yeah, before you start bashing something for it's presence, and claiming it is only there because it sold well, stop and consider what merit the people giving it the award might see in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5