• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
thoughts on Fruits Basket

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
hmm ok first off i would like to take this time to say sorry if this post makes no sense whatso ever....i have that effect on people. Anyway just thought i would warn you.

Ok i have recently just finished watching fruits basket and i thought it was amazing and one of my all time favourites. I already want to watch it all over again. However the ending for some reason gave me the impression there is a chance of a sequel. Well no so much the ending just little pieces of the series.

First off i haven't read the manga but i hear some of the characters were missed out, the horse for example. And the way momiji one of my favourite characters wasn't really in the ending at all kinda gave me a funny feeling there was more to it.

The whole story behind momiji and his mother was also not explained all that well. There may have been some explanations but no conclusion.

I think it would be quite easy for the directors to come up with a sequel to fruits basket. Some of the things they can put in it and explain in more detail are stated above (momiji's mother and the other characters from the zodiac). Other elements they could throw in the mix would be more about aikido and his death perhaps, that is if he is to die or not. Another would be Tohru's father who is mentioned only once or twice in the series. All these things can be put together to make a great series. And i was wondering....

What do you guys think, is it possible for another series????

Well hope that made some sense.

Space

EDIT: Oh yea once last idea i thought they can exsplain a little better if they were to make a second seires. Well its no so much an idea but more of a conclustion. With the whole Hitori and his lost life situation. I feel they could most definitly put a little more effort into that.

Last edited by Space_cowboy64 on Thu May 04, 2006 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Asuka

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
The manga is *STILL* being published in Japan, and is up to around volume 20. The US release is somewhere around volume 13 or 14, I think. The anime covers up to about the sixth volume, but the order of some events is changed around, and there are probably some things missing.

As far as a second season for the anime, there aren't any plans for one at the moment. Funi was doing some campaign last year during con season to try to show how much support for a second season there is to the Japanese companies behind it.

I'd imagine if there was a second season, it'd be when the manga ends.
Toucanbird

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm up to episode 24 of the anime series and I'm so far a little disappointed. Well, it doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of these types of animes at all. I favor more action packed animes rather than the touchy/feely animes like Fruits Basket.

But, it does have some funny things about it. Its kept me interested enough to keep watching it but it hasn't done anything to "wow" me.

As for a sequel, I'm sure there are possibilities for a sequel. I'm not a 100% sure on that because I still have 3 episodes to go until the end.

I really don't pay much attention to manga. Is 20 volumes a lot? As I said, I don't read manga at all so I don't know if this is a really long manga series or not.

But for the anime, so far I would give it a 6.5/10. It just didn't "do" anything for me. But, I'm sure there are a lot of other people out there that feel completely opposite about this series.
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Almost the whole series was very, very close to the manga, except for the last episode, in which they had to put together an artificial ending to wrap things up. Because of certain issues involving Shigure and Akito, it would take a little work to get things back on track to move foward with animating more of the manga and there's no sign of that happening.

Only about 1/3 of the projected story was animated, so you're right that there's alot more to it in the manga - yes, including Momiji's story. He's just had major scenes in volumes 11 and 13. As for his mother, he explained the situation himself and there really isn't much more to say about it than what he told Tohru. In the manga, the big issue regarding his immediate family at this point is spoiler[how he and his father are going to handle it when his sister Momo starts wondering why he bears such a striking resemblance to her and their mother...]He's also extremely, extremely close to Tohru - actually just as close as Kyo and Yuki in his own way - and they've had some absolutely beautiful scenes together lately.

In the end, if you want to know what happens you're going to have to cave in and get the manga. Very Happy
opaquescum

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
First thoughts isn't fruits basket a two season series being that its a 26 episode deal. Maybe I am wrong, but I thought the standard was 13 episodes.

I agree with you space on the fact that the series was very nice I just finished watching it tonight, and while I felt the ending was a bit tacked on. I felt it was okay nothing special merely okay. Which I suppose is better then awful.

Though I also think the thoughts of a continuation to the series while intrigueing is not very likely. Just my take, but anime and manga are often too tied together. Net result is that anime sadly gets used alot for what appears to be the main purpose of selling manga. Anyway I have read it enough times on these and other forums. Go read the manga it goes further. So maybe I am wrong, but there feals like alot of marketing at play.

To go out of context its sort of like a franchise like starwars where the point of the movies is less the point of makeing movies, but as a means to merchandise. Watch any of the recent films, and you see that there is a move to make toys to sell to kiddies.

Asfor what Asuka said if Funi did do that, and try to generate buzz for the fans to get more Fruits Basket anime done. Well I suppose I will have to spend more money on Funi products. That kind of corporate attitude I can get behind.

I suppose if your not a manga reader then there just is not much you can do but hope. I have watched too many series lately that feal like they are abandoned. I am starting to think I should avoid series where anyone mentions the manga the net result is you get to peak into a wonderfully deep world. Then you feal like you get the door closed in your face.

Here is hopeing they do decide to bring it back, and do more seasons I would watch them.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
opaquescum wrote:
First thoughts isn't fruits basket a two season series being that its a 26 episode deal. Maybe I am wrong, but I thought the standard was 13 episodes.

No, that was done with Gantz, where they decided to make "two" seasons, each season being 13 episodes. The norm is 26 eps per season.

Asuka wrote:
The manga is *STILL* being published in Japan, and is up to around volume 20.

In fact, volume 20 is coming out the second week of this month in Japan.
x_silversurfer

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
I think that this is one of those series that are practically begging you to read the manga series. Kind of like Berserk. That one for me, really caught my attention and led me to reading the manga.

I suppose that Fruits Basket is to be the worm and hook, to catch your intrest and "reel" (I know, sorry about the puns) you into the manga. Perhaps a marketing tool, or maybe just an after effect. Either way, it was enjoying and I shall be picking up the manga shortly.
opaquescum

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:40 am Reply with quote
Curious then are thirteen episode series to be thought of more like miniseries rather then actual series. Asside from 13 episodes and 26 episodes are there anyother different season counts out there?

Why do I feal like I am getting more confused with the definition of a season.
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:57 am Reply with quote
opaquescum wrote:
Curious then are thirteen episode series to be thought of more like miniseries rather then actual series. Asside from 13 episodes and 26 episodes are there anyother different season counts out there?

Why do I feal like I am getting more confused with the definition of a season.

While 26 is sometimes considered the 'norm', there are a lot of anime with much longer (and shorter) seasons. Take a look through the various seasons of Sailor Moon on the Encyclopedia sometime. There is a wide range of episodes in a season, even within the same show.

Revolutionary Girl Utena has a nice, random, 39 episodes, and I believe that was all considered one "season" of the show. Pretty Cure (*shudder*) has 49 episodes for the first season. On the other hand, the first season of Magic Knight Rayearth is only 20 episodes, while the second season is, I think, 29ish.
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Well Regarding Fruits baskets, I just recently saw the first threee epposides at a friends house. I must say that I was very impressed, it so far has a unique yet sort of similair feel to it. My friends refer to thespoiler[ fact that the family turns into animals the ranma effect. Laughing Yet (keep in mind I have only seen 3 eppys) that's where the similitaries end. Although I found every second of it hillirous, it seemed also to have a real serious note as well. Though I must confess the eppy with the girl who turns into the Boar/pig and is in love with the guy who turns into the cat...sort of reminded me of Akane, since she was so violent. Yet she was different enough that I felt like I wasn't watching a Ranma ripoff. Okay I promise to end the comparisons to Ranma right now.] Yes so it's quite obvious that I am digging this show, and I really want to see more of it. I would recommend it to anyone who is a seroious anime comedy/action fan. Yes just wanted to share my fruit's basket loving with everyone. Oh and this maybe a little weird to think but Iam assuming, that spoiler[ since the family can't have physical interactions with the opposite sex, unless it's someone else that is cursed that the family blood is well sort of pure. What I mean by this is that they only well can be intimate with the opposite sex of their family. I know this will be explained later on, so don't really answer me in too much detail. I was just making an observation. I could be complelty wrong and maybe they have a magic potion or something equally strange, once year or something. That would enable them to umm be intimate with people of the opposite sex that aren't family members. ] So yes overall this is an interesting series and I am enjoying it.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Fruits Basket is one of my favorite anime, but yeah, the question of a second season has been debated quite a bit, and the answer is that it's been too long since the first and the chances aren't very good. It's been mentioned that many anime are promotional tools for their manga, which would certainly describe Fruits Basket. Many of the issues that are speculated about in these posts do get some attention in the manga, such as Tohru's father. (Somewhere in vol. 16-17, IIRC.) One thing that is in the early chapters of the manga but not in the anime is the part about spoiler[Tohru getting lost as a child and being led home by who we find out to be Yuki, receiving his hat in the process.] I also did like the anime ending, as they re-arranged events to make a powerful conclusion in episodes 24-26. If they had faithfully followed the manga, the anime would have ended with some of the boring/filler events about side characters that happen in Vols. 7-8 and anime episodes 19-22. So, I'd recommend getting the manga; it's a worthy read to get additional backstory in the early parts, and the later parts keep up the emotional power levels.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Thu May 04, 2006 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote
Yes, I had been waiting so long to find out about the relationship between Tohru's parents, how they met, and how he died and stuff. That was certainly put together well. I like the way everybody has been turning out, maturing, finding new love, etc. But I still am looking for what spoiler[Shigure's true motives are behind bringing Tohru to the Sohmas].
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:02 am Reply with quote
Mistress9 wrote:
Oh and this maybe a little weird to think but Iam assuming, that spoiler[ since the family can't have physical interactions with the opposite sex, unless it's someone else that is cursed that the family blood is well sort of pure. What I mean by this is that they only well can be intimate with the opposite sex of their family. I know this will be explained later on, so don't really answer me in too much detail. I was just making an observation. I could be complelty wrong and maybe they have a magic potion or something equally strange, once year or something. That would enable them to umm be intimate with people of the opposite sex that aren't family members. ]

spoiler[The series doesn't really get into it (the main characters are only 16, after all), but the manga does touch on the fact that given the difficulties of having sex without holding their partner, yes, for them sex would generally involve another Zodiac member - meaning cousin (or homosexuality, but that's another issue...).

It apparently can be managed for "mixed" couples, though. Late in the series, you'll meet the previous cat's grandson. Since he never mentions that his grandmother was a Zodiac member, I'd guess she was "normal", which implies that his grandparents were able to work something out...]
deedeedee

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:53 am Reply with quote
She loves Kyo or Yuki ? Embarassed
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote
Kyo. She always had a mutual relationship with Yuki. Problem is she doesn't know that she herself likes Kyo yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2