• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live from Anime Los Angeles 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
BonnKansan wrote:

Hilarious that the guy who's made himself infamous also comes and publically bugs you for a job - could well be the Dunning-Kruger effect in action Laughing

I would just say the guy wants to be the center of attention, with the Yugioh! thing he wanted people to cheer with him, and with this thing he just wanted view on his blip videos. He didn't care how he got them so he was willing to disrupt Zac and Justin to do it.
shukero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
Hey guys great show, must say that the guy trying to self promote is very very disrespectful but anyway onto why I posted.

Zach you said that subscription people cab view the new site, how can we do this? Could you put up a little tutorial how to view it? Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
@shukero

Go to the community forum and check out the top sticked thread: new beta layout.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
I do agree the medium needs another big mainstream hit, hopefully the Sailor Moon 2013 reboot will get decent international distribution and do well. Play on some older fans nostalgia and drag a few back in.

Define 'need'. Anime on TV is largely outdated; with stuff like Crunchyroll there's little point to getting anime on TV unless it's a horribly dubbed/butchered merchandise show to push toys like Beyblade or something; and kids aren't exactly ignorant about the internet. Studies are starting to show kids and teens surfing the net more than watching TV. I doubt you'll ever get a mainstream hit like the mid 90s ever again.. back when the only way to watch those shows was either on TV or bad quality VHS fansubs. The internet changed the whole game.

As for nostalgia, what do you mean? I hope not in the sense companies still try to push "Voltron" and "Speed Racer". The nice thing about the rereleased Sailor Moon manga is it throws all that nostalgia in the garbage and actually gives us a faithful translation. The last thing we need is Sailor Moon 2013 on TV edited down and using the 90s dub names like Serena and Darien and changing gay men to girls and lesbians into cousins. This is assuming it even comes here. Given Toei has the original series' rights under lock and key, it remains to be seen if the new series will be just as closely guarded.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Stuart Smith wrote:
I must definitely disagree. Even the most tripe and unoriginal anime that comes out each season is lightyears ahead of those so called 'nerd culture icons'.

..................*snicker*

IDK dude, I have yet to see an anime that's worse than My Little Pony. That's not saying much, as a lot of anime is terrible, but MLP is TERRIBLE.
shukero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@shukero

Go to the community forum and check out the top sticked thread: new beta layout.

Fantastic! Thanks that does look amazing Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Not having anime on at captive audience times (4-6PM every weekday after school) is a big reason you'll never see another megahit. That's just a perfect time, most kids arrive home before those hours, and other obligatory requirements in a stereotypical American home environment is that dinner and homework come later, after the block has ended. Those are the absolute peak times to get a show some exposure, aside from Saturday Mornings, which barely exist in the same 80s and 90s format a majority of us grew up with. On top of this, the other requirement be that anime must widespread, nearly ubiquitously offered by providers on basic cable setups. Not everyone gets the Hub, but Cartoon Network, since the mid 90s, is as common as Nick or Disney. Having a semi-popular anime on at 10PM or later is doing nothing.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
BonnKansan wrote:

Hilarious that the guy who's made himself infamous also comes and publically bugs you for a job - could well be the Dunning-Kruger effect in action Laughing

I would just say the guy wants to be the center of attention, with the Yugioh! thing he wanted people to cheer with him, and with this thing he just wanted view on his blip videos. He didn't care how he got them so he was willing to disrupt Zac and Justin to do it.

I did not realize that this was the same person as 4Kids Guy... Forget any & all credit I gave him at the beginning of this topic. I'll take Princess Knight Guy over 4Kids Guy any day; PK Guy, at least, was passionate about something positive.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
@Titan: Need as in something that can appeal to the mainstream and pull people in like DBZ & Naruto did.

@Galap: If you mean Terribly Awesome, then yes. *if not I could easily name 100 or so anime much worse then even the most lack-luster episodes of AT, MLP, Regular, etc. But again in the end it all comes down to a conflict of preference & bias, so meh.

Getting back on topic a bit though *sort of, I guess, I dunno*, The Mass Effect Direct to DVD feature, decent or a dud? I've heard people give it mixed reactions. And have yet to rent it myself, not really sure if I should or not at this point. *Never played any of the games admitingly, but always willing to give a new scifi flick a chance*

Also, I agree that one guy that asked about the job position, seems to me like he was just trying to pimp his own online reviews, some people, sheesh.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

The first series has a major character coming back as an upside down head on a bears body (and this character was meant to be dramatic) .

Are you assuming that everyone found it funny? Considering that one of the show's main gears was the manipulation of matter and particularly the pitfalls involving living matter. I Saw the upside down head as being more dark, disturbing and perverse than funny. If that character was not crazy enough before that. Metaphorically(?) is it a case of the outside matching the inside? The first series will always have the advantage of having had nothing to compare it to.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
IDK dude, I have yet to see an anime that's worse than My Little Pony. That's not saying much, as a lot of anime is terrible, but MLP is TERRIBLE.

I heavily disagree on that. Each episode of the show I found myself genuinely interested in the characters and what they want to do and how they have to solve whatever problems they go through. There are some flaws to the show, but at the end of the day, I'm interested in what happens from beginning to end amongst the characters. It's being simple about it, but ya know, so did Looney Tunes, MGM and other Warner Bros. shorts. More and more anime I end up seeing don't have much focus in terms of letting me know why I would be compelled to see more of these characters do what they do in later episodes of that show.

If you don't think any anime so far is worse than my Little Pony or that My Little Pony is terrible, then I would much rather know what your definition of "terrible" is.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:

Are you assuming that everyone found it funny? Considering that one of the show's main gears was the manipulation of matter and particularly the pitfalls involving living matter. I Saw the upside down head as being more dark, disturbing and perverse than funny. If that character was not crazy enough before that. Metaphorically(?) is it a case of the outside matching the inside? The first series will always have the advantage of having had nothing to compare it to.

Well I found it hilarious

I just saw it as Shou Tucker not being a very good alchemist which is why I wonder why Dante used him.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Not having anime on at captive audience times (4-6PM every weekday after school) is a big reason you'll never see another megahit. That's just a perfect time, most kids arrive home before those hours, and other obligatory requirements in a stereotypical American home environment is that dinner and homework come later, after the block has ended. Those are the absolute peak times to get a show some exposure, aside from Saturday Mornings, which barely exist in the same 80s and 90s format a majority of us grew up with. On top of this, the other requirement be that anime must widespread, nearly ubiquitously offered by providers on basic cable setups. Not everyone gets the Hub, but Cartoon Network, since the mid 90s, is as common as Nick or Disney. Having a semi-popular anime on at 10PM or later is doing nothing.

Well,what American shows air during those times on Nickelodeon/Cartoon Network/Disney, and are they as big as Dragonball Z and Pokemon were in it's heyday? I just don't feel like it's possible for a cartoon, Japanese or America, to really get that big in America ever again. The times have changed. This isn't the 80s or 90s anymore where something like Ninja Turtles/Power Rangers or DBZ/PKMN can just take the country by storm. I think that honor goes to live-action these days.. shows like iCarly, Victorious, Jessie, and other Disney/Nick teen starlerts seem to be much more successful than any cartoon. When those shows can get 8 - 12 million viewers and animation can't even get half that, I think it's a clear sign to give up the fight. Just look at the current incarnations of the previous American giants: the current Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers. They barely pull in even a fraction of those numbers and are and just a meager husk of their former popularity. Networks value teen actors more than animation, and I can hardly blame them given those numbers and profits. Maybe it'll change in 10 or 20 years, but as of right now it seems like a pointless cause. Can't change what the market doesn't want.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
@Titan: I agree, sadly teenage tenny boopers are whats big with the kids these days, but there are still hits, just, not with the prime demographic, anime like Fairy Tail & Toriko 10 years ago could have easily made it on TV, nowadays, not so much. The popular cartoons like TMNT, Korra, MLP, AT, etc, do most likely have more older teens & adults watching then kids & young teens, sadly kids today haven't been constantly force-feed animation nearly as much as we were on TV when we were young, thus meaning theres not quite as many children getting into animation, be it domestic or anime.... *sigh*

@Hyp: I'd say best just to let it go, haters gonna hate, trolls gonna troll, not much we can do about it. In the end its to each their own. *But if set person has yet to see the true horrors of the anime world, I pray he never does Laughing *
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
That's so weird, I always valued a good cartoon over the live-action shows when I was a kid. Maybe the shows today are constructed more to come off more like cartoons than reality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5