• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
China bans Live-animation

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru393

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:25 am Reply with quote
sounds pretty stupid to me to ban that but china bans alot of stuff

http://www.cgfocus.com/NewsDetails.cfm?NewsID=2189
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:31 am Reply with quote
So they'll never know the horror of Looney Toons: Back in Action?
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:13 am Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
So they'll never know the horror of Looney Toons: Back in Action?
Or the love of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?". But yeah, we can also save them the pain of "Space Jam" too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The reason, the order said cryptically, was that such films jeopardize "the broadcast order of homemade animation and mislead their development."

Does anyone understand what they're saying here? I'm totally stumped.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:55 am Reply with quote
It seems that even the author of the article didn't understand what they meant - after all, he did use the word, "cryptically". However, if I'm going to take a stab at it, I'd assume it means that China feels that live action and animation shouldn't mix.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hikaru393

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote
Now they wont be seeing the death note movie since the death gods are animated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
omnistry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:49 pm Reply with quote
This means no Gorillaz; since their recent videos featured live versions of De la Soul and the rest.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I saw this on Yahoo! a few days ago and sent it in to the ANN newsroom, so it kind of surprises me that they haven't posted it. But what I got from the article was that China doesn't want it's animation industy sidelined by outside infulences. Confused Confused

But what REALLY struck me is that they DID NOT say what the punishment would be if someone did broadcast the live action/anime combos.

(at least I THINK I e-mailed it correctly. I'm beginning to think that I didn't <sigh>)

Just discoverd that I did not e-mail correctly. (Lydia no BAKA!)
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
This was on AOL news, too.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/tv/article.adp?id=20060223165709990002

I loved Blues Clues as a kid... Steve was a way better host than the new guy. >.<
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:52 am Reply with quote
Both of these articles seem to have their facts mixed up. I thought this sounded strange as soon as I read both of them so I did a quick search on Chinese google and found this article.

I will quote some here:

Quote:
指出,近期一些电视台在播出动画片的频道、时段或栏目中播出了以真人演出的所谓动画片。这些所谓的动画片绝大部分内容均以真人演出,仅有极少量的电脑特技内容作为点缀。以动画片的名义播出这些剧目,将会扰乱国产动画片的播出秩序,误导国产动画片的创作方向。禁止在动画频道、时段或栏目中播出以真人演出的所谓动画片。

What this roughly translates to is "Recently there have been a lot of recent cartoons involving live-action that have been aired on the animation channel. Those 'animations' are mostly live action with tiny bits of animated special effects, still called animation. This misleads the Chinese animation producers. So these so-called 'animations' will be categorized as live-action and not shown in the animation time slot."

It seems the shows they are aiming at are mostly live-action series involving special effects animation (or none at all, just with puppetry and suits - like Godzilla) that are shown in TV time slots meant for animation. It's the categorization that is the main focus of this rule, not if these titles can be shown on Chinese TV at all. My fiance tells me that before a TV series is aired, it must get some kind of a license (?) that has different categorizations, and therefore will lead to different time slots and stations for airing and what not. Nothing I read here states anything close to "Live-action mixed with animation is banned from TV now." That's ridiculous. It's just that live-action/animation mixed movies or shows can't be shown on a channel dedicated to 100% animation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:56 am Reply with quote
Thanks, Cloe. I was in the middle trying to find out the source news, and you beat me. Wink

It's like FDA banning "healthy food" claiming to have medicinal effects.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1