• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Worst" Anime Villain

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
[It's customary, when starting an opinion thread, to give your own opinion first to start things off. -Nagi]
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Every, single, villain from Excel Saga.

I forgot what those little bears were called...and then, Pedro's enemy, what was his name..."that guy"? Lol.

The series was a little much for me at times, but some of it was very funny.

Hm, for another, the sax player from Trigun. I like music, I like jazz, but that guy was just over the top a little bit. There were some really awesome villains in Trigun and he just seemed so out of place.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't really like "pointless" villains that exist for the sole purpose of saying "Gwar! I am the ultimate evil and I will destroy everything!!" (Although sometimes, their personalities are interesting enough, like Kefka from FF6.) Villains like this would include the villains of Arc the Lad, Final Fantasy Unlimited, Lodoss War OVA, and pretty much any season of Sailor Moon.

Incognito from Hellsing also gets an honorable mention for derailing the plot and leading to the insufficient ending that most people criticize the Hellsing anime series for.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:42 pm Reply with quote
My nomination goes to:

spoiler[Fuma] from X: The Movie, had absolutely no vilanous motivation whatsoever. spoiler[He was a good person and just suddenly "became" evil because Kamuwi decided to be a Dragon of Heaven and it was his "destiny." ] But one of the films many faults, at least he was a better character in the series.

Also most of the villains from Ninja Scroll TV would fit the bill too.
rajamitsu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Fudou from GetBackers. Rolling Eyes He's got potential, actually, but it's really hard to take him seriously with his limited vocabulary. Particularly when he's going on about spoiler[how his desire (to kill Midou) is throbbing.] The lack of detail in his back story doesn't help.

I second Incognito from Hellsing, too. For the same reasons and the fact that he's just so ugly.

With Trigun, I actually liked Midvalley (the saxophone guy). He's my favorite Gung-Ho Gun. E.G. Mine gets my vote for worst Trigun baddie. He's so pathetic. X3 I got a kick out of him, but, yeesh, spoiler[he got his butt kicked in, what, ten seconds?]

...cripes. Fixed my tags.
jousha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:47 am Reply with quote
The commander of the Blue Whales in Berserk. He's funny at times, naming off his moves as passed on from generation to generation, but his routine pride-mixed-with-cowardice got old fast. I couldn't wait until he was gone.

In Hunter X Hunter, the teammate of the main characters who played like he was a nice guy, but was only a coniving cheapskate. I wanted him gone from the start!

The villain in Black Lion. He's so bad and, dare I say, stupid that's funny. But that's just a humorous movie from the get-go.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:47 am Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
Every, single, villain from Excel Saga.

I forgot what those little bears were called...and then, Pedro's enemy, what was his name..."that guy"? Lol.

The series was a little much for me at times, but some of it was very funny.

LydiaDianne wrote:
Let me start off by giving you my description of "worst" Villain.

This is the guy where you say to yourself, "Oh...my...God! Tell me this idiot is not the villain."

Since Excel Saga was meant to be a little off the hilter and a comedy 99.99999999999999999986% of the time, your choice is null and void. ACROSS will shortly come to your house and blow it up in accordance with the ACROSS Act of 1979, Section 56.98.

Hercule/Mr. Satan also shouldn't be listed here in this thread, or even hinted at it. He just screams "Comedic Relief" or "Blubbering Babboon." As a villian, he never ever shows it. He switches from Powerhouse Egotistical Blowhard to Caring idiot that is in allance with some Bubblegum monster.

In fact, given the circumstances, some villians don't deserve to be "Worst" Villans. Their apperance could be simply just a comedic relief of some sort, or their in there just for the hell of it.
CyberViper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:37 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

This is the guy where you say to yourself, "Oh...my...God! Tell me this idiot is not the villain."

Well according to that I would definitely go with Ilpallazzo and Excel from Excel Saga. They were supposed to be villians because they were trying to take over the city. I think they were both really bad at it, sincespoiler[ pretty much every experiment failed.] Even thought it was a comedy, it still has villians, although they were really bad at being villians.[/quote]
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:49 am Reply with quote
CyberViper wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:

Well according to that I would definitely go with Ilpallazzo and Excel from Excel Saga. They were supposed to be villians because they were trying to take over the city. I think they were both really bad at it, sincespoiler[ pretty much every experiment failed.] Even thought it was a comedy, it still has villians, although they were really bad at being villians.
[/quote]

Excel can't be the villain because she is the protagonist/hero/main character. I thought this was already cleared up in another thread. Ilpallazzo can't be considered a villain either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1