• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
XXXHolic Manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ParadoxCafe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Do you think that the anime will be as good as the manga? I love the manga. Watanuki is so funny. Anime smile
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:50 pm Reply with quote
The original version of a story is typically best, so the manga will probably be better. Also, I generally am a bit skeptical of anime that is made of a manga before said manga is finished, but we'll really just have to wait and see.

I need to read more of XXXHolic.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Even though I agree with Marie-Antoinette in that the manga will be better than the anime...I want to see it... I want to see it NOW!!!! Wink Laughing
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I think the quality of the anime release is going to be fairly heavily dependant upon who is working on it and how they decide to approach the story. The amount of material available is probably enough for at least 26 episodes, but there isn't any real story conclusion to work with since the manga is ongoing.

It will be interesting to see how they approach the anime production, but I have to agree with the others who have posted in that the manga will most likely be superior.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I read in the encyclopedia that the characters from Clamp that appear in XXXHolic and Tsubasa are alternate versions. (with the exception Sakura?) I've read a few Clamp titles but is it particularly necessary to read them all to get a better understanding of the books or since their alternate versions, their completely different from their original character?
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
I personally don't think so. While I have read several of CLAMP's manga, I haven't read all of them. One of the really great things that Del Rey has done, in the back of the manga, they tell you which story a character came from and what they were like in that storyline. So if you're not familar with a character it really helps.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote
outlawwolf wrote:
I read in the encyclopedia that the characters from Clamp that appear in XXXHolic and Tsubasa are alternate versions. (with the exception Sakura?) I've read a few Clamp titles but is it particularly necessary to read them all to get a better understanding of the books or since their alternate versions, their completely different from their original character?

I think that knowledge of Clamp's other works really do help fully appreciate the massive cross-over of alternatives (I'm fairly certain they are all alternatives...at some point in XXXHolic at least it is made clear that Sakura and Syoaran are alternate versions from the characters in CCS) in Tsubasa, I don't think you really need to worry too much when it comes to XXXHolic, since it relies more on original characters than new versions of old characters.
apple pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
xxxholic is the only CLAMP manga I love.

i have read tsubasa and own chobits... but they are only "OK". xxxholic has a real style to it and the stories are quite simple yet engaging. i think it's a work of beauty.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:43 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I don't think you really need to worry too much when it comes to XXXHolic, since it relies more on original characters than new versions of old characters.

Right, and aside from the Mokona thing (I like xxxHolic better than Tsubasa, but Mokona-Black sucks...), the only CLAMP crossovers in xxxHolic except for Sakura and Syaoran (and cameos from the two lead characters from Legal Drug - who may or may not be in the anime) are eyecatches of CLAMP stuff, such as Sakura's staff and the Chobits ears. Unless they extensively cover the whole Clow Reed aspect in the xxxHolic anime, all you will miss out on in some inside jokes.
happymoose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:46 am Reply with quote
snip

Last edited by happymoose on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:49 am Reply with quote
happymoose wrote:
However, having read the XXXholic manga.. I find myself somehow wishing that Doumeki and Watanuki end up together. I don't want to see anything particularly lewd or in your face, but somehow I'm rooting for their relationship above and beyond everything. I am doubtful it will actually happen, but I have to ask... Is swaying me like this Clamp's doing? Is it the artwork or the strong bond formed through the writing? I really can't figure it out! Does anybody else share a similar disposition? It doesn't really bother me.. I just find it interesting.

CLAMP is very good at doing this sort of thing to girls like us then, I thought I was the only one. I don't like yaoi or shonen-ai in general, but while watching X I found myself... rooting for some things. And then there was Cardcaptor Sakura with Touya and Yuki who were just too adorable not to like. And now with XXXholic I find myself loving the interactions between Doumeki and Watanuki and they are... very very cute. Embarassed I think it's CLAMP's ability to write out their bonds, because like you said, CLAMP is never lewd about it. If a series starts getting lewd with a couple relationship, same sex or not, I get bored with it. To this day they still have written my all time favorite couple and that's Sakura and Syaoran from Cardcaptor Sakura. ... so cute. Can't get enough of them. Shame Tsubasa doesn't have the same actual duo.

Still to this day with all my anime viewing no other show has made me like a suggested same-sex couple more than the CLAMP crew.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
I seem to be one of the few people who really don't pick up on anything slashy between Doumeki and Watanuki. I really haven't been big into shipping anyone until vol 10 IIRC, when the Himawari arc ended with me suddenly jumping onto the Himawari/Watanuki ship.
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I seem to be one of the few people who really don't pick up on anything slashy between Doumeki and Watanuki.

I think that's because of Doumeki's personality. He's not flirting, partly because he knows in his gut that Watanuki's not ready for it yet and partly because that's just not the way he is. But I think we can put two and two together based on the fact that Doumeki has shown zero interest in Himawari, or the twins he and Watanuki briefly dated, or any other girl in the vicinity and seems totally focused on keeping Watanuki safe, added to Yuko's fairly blunt hints to Watanuki to get a clue. CLAMP also has a history of having a shounen-ai couple as either their main characters or major supporting characters in most of their works. So granted they both survive through the end of the series (CLAMP can occasionally be very cruel, so I never take it for granted that anyone's safe in their works), I'd be somewhat surprised if they're not at least leaning towards becoming a couple in the end. It just might not happen until the last volume.
illustrata

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:34 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I seem to be one of the few people who really don't pick up on anything slashy between Doumeki and Watanuki. I really haven't been big into shipping anyone until vol 10 IIRC, when the Himawari arc ended with me suddenly jumping onto the Himawari/Watanuki ship.

Yeah. I don't see anything either, or at least nothing of much mutual relevance if only because Watanuki seems far from interested. Besides, in recent chapters Watanuki's interests lies way waaaay elsewhere (I wouldn't call it romantic, but it's also hard to say if it's purely platonical or maternal).
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read any of the latest chapters, so I have no idea if they've become close, but I don't see anything sexual in Watanuki and Domeki's relationship. I just think they're "cute" together, not necessarily as a couple. In fact I prefer not to think of the sexual aspect of same sex groups (I am SO not a yaoi fangirl), but Domeki does go up and beyond saving Watanuki's butt. They can stay platonic (Does CLAMP even do platonic anymore?), I'll be happy, but either way, platonic or not, I love the duo's interactions with each other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1