• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Recomend Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if anyone knows of any mech anime movies that have complex looking mechs and a good plot. If you have any titles that match this vague description do not hesitate to post them.

Also I think that a sticky should be made for people to post what kind of anime they are looking for. I think this would avoid clutter in the forum and keep things centralized.

Thanks.
Alucard27

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:19 pm Reply with quote
If you want mech anime with good plotlines, you're going to have some good company.

RahXephon and Neon Genesis Evangelion have 2 of the most complicated poltlines out there, but there's no denying they are 2 of the most dramatic anime ever. Plus with EVA you get a good amount of fanservice, but twice as many headaches with its convoluted plotline, especially towards the end. RahXephon has some fanservice too, and also some good romance in it, but Rah's plotline will also give you headaches.

If you want something on the lighter and more freindly (and less confusing) end of the spectrum, go with Full Metal Panic. The anime is a little bit of everything. Mechs, romance, comedy, sometimes all 3 in one scene. The best action comes from the mech fights, so Panic is something to check out.

I would also advise you to check out any Gundam anime you can find.

Happy Hunting! Anime smile
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
For a good anime film with the things you want I suggest Voices of Distant Star, it's way too short but very good. The animation is top notch and the story and characters are great. That's the only film I know that may match up. It's about a female mech pilot who joins the millitary and goes on a campaign to deal with an alien threat leaving behind her boyfriend. They are only able to comunicate through text messaging on their cell phones, but as the distance between them grows so does the lag time between messages.

As far as series go:

Blue Gender is a good show if a bit violent and gory. The mechs are interesting especially the Double Edges which come into play later. I found the characters somewhat annoying at first but the shows character devopment fixes that aspect, so don't worry. It's about a chryogegenically frozen guy named Yugi who is suddenly awakened to find the world he knew has been overrun by giant insects know as the Blue. What little that remains of humanity now resides in a series of space stations and Yugi and others like him may be the key to taking back Earth.

Last edited by Kruszer on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vortextk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote
There are about a million gundams...I've seen Wing personally and thoroughly enjoyed it though. A lot of people swear by the older gundams.

I'm getting the Robotech collection. It's a americanized series, bringing 3 different anime and combining them. Originally, you would look for anime having to do with Macross. I'm not too sure about mechs being in all of Macross, but you can do some looking or get someone else to go more indepth.

I don't know how prominent the mech work is but since no one's listed this one either I'll go ahead:

http://animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=3870

Fafner. From what I gather, it seems to be a good show that somewhat mirrors Eva and Rah as well. Ratings show that it has done well, just seems to not be that popular.
Greennunu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Well another good one that I don't see many mention is Infinite Ryvius I only saw it once and haven't been able to revisit it, but its a pretty good pyschological one, Not to much of a spectacular mech show-wise, but the idea for it is intresting.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
I really like Infinite Ryvius as well. It has cool technology also, and pays attention to things like physics and other scientific aspect of space. Not really a spoiler but spoiler[I especially enjoyed the scenes of how they'd move arround the ship when there was no gravity.] Anyhow, there's a mech but the show is definitely more character focused than action although there's plenty of that too. It reminds me a little of the book "Lord of the Flies" in some ways.
Greennunu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:56 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I really like Infinite Ryvius as well. It has cool technology also, and pays attention to things like physics and other scientific aspect of space. Not really a spoiler but spoiler[I especially enjoyed the scenes of how they'd move arround the ship when there was no gravity.] Anyhow, there's a mech but the show is definitely more character focused than action although there's plenty of that too. It reminds me a little of the book "Lord of the Flies" in some ways.

Yeah it does resemble lord of the flies probably because spoiler[the "kids" created their form of governemnt and it went through alot of the types of government from deposit(sp?) to anarchy they covered alot of them.]

Some of the less famouse anime with mechs are:
Dual - spoiler[Dimensional story]
Vandread - spoiler[Good anime with descent CG/Actio]
Godannar - Haven't actually seen myself but looks kinda funny.
2Real

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:18 am Reply with quote
Yea, I think I will second the Vandread series for a meca show. With a unique story line to it with some decent anime it makes a show worth your time. I will say it is very origanl and when I 1st read the revies/overviews of the show I was kind of turned away. Later then sooner I ended up watching it. I was greatly suprised at how well done it was. I can't rember what I rated it off the top of my head, but I would say if you like mecha shows yea its not a popular one realy, it is worth your time to watch. As I already said, dont like to repet but this is a fact I have to stress about this show that makes me say these thing, the story to it is a one of a kind thing. In th eend, at the end of the show, I don't think you will be disapointed in watching it.

I belive it has 2 "stages", you realy have to watch both to get the full apresihiation ( think I spelled that horibly worng) for the show. About half way throught the 1st stage ( both stages are about 25 so atound 50 episodes total) I was hooked on the show and wanted to see m ore.

In MOST of the reviews it says " men and women live on seprate planets". That is the basic them throught all 50 episodes, don't get me wrong, that turned me off in some ways at 1st, but then story around that is EXCLENT!!! LOL I keep saying some of the same things because I dont want to spppoil the show for you if you do chose to see it.

My basic point of this is, this show is worth the time and money you put into it. Not only will it last you a while, it will also provide you with quality entertainment for that time. It has good mumor in it and some romance, kick ass action, and suspence. The only complaint I have about it would be......the animation itself lacks in some areas, but that is too be expected when you get into long series, or budget.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Vandread is easily my favorite Mech-anime. Really fun characters, and some of the most amazing art in any anime.

RahXephon was pretty good too. Really, really cool looking mechs are a giant plus.

Evangelion is a bit of a convulted acid trip. But it's a good trip, no doubt!

Full Metal Panic! is really a great combo of...everything Very Happy . Comedy, Romance, Action, Plot, Drama...it's all there. However, If you just want mechs, then steer away from FumoFFu. It's extremly funny, however i have yet to see any mechs come up (im on episode 13 now) and i don't predict any coming any time soon. It's basically a really entertaining spinoff focusing more on the characters high school carrers, the romance, and the humor of the story. There's also some interesting action in there...spoiler[like the bouta-kun croth stomp!] Very Happy
The Lance

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:44 am Reply with quote
2Real wrote:

I belive it has 2 "stages", you realy have to watch both to get the full apresihiation ( think I spelled that horibly worng) for the show. About half way throught the 1st stage ( both stages are about 25 so atound 50 episodes total) I was hooked on the show and wanted to see m ore.

Vandread doesn't have 50 episodes dude, the two stages are representing two seasons. So you're looking at about 12-13 episodes per season. It has exactly 26 episodes.
maskedninja

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:37 am Reply with quote
I personally don’t like very many mech anime’s but if I had to choose I would defiantly pick EvanGelion it’s got an excellent story line pretty awesome art and... A really confusing ending rofl Anime smile + sweatdrop
ryu_hito

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:29 am Reply with quote
You should check out Bleach. Good characters, great storyline (IMHO) and lots of actions, well only a few episodes are lacking in the action part.

Also another good one, again IMO, is Onegai Teacher!. I know some people haven't been impressed by it, but I really liked it. Nice little storyline spoiler[alien comes to your planet, becomes your teacher and you have to marry her to keep it a secret].

there are more, just don't feel like listing them all now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote
ryu_hito wrote:
You should check out Bleach. Good characters, great storyline (IMHO) and lots of actions, well only a few episodes are lacking in the action part.

Also another good one, again IMO, is Onegai Teacher!. I know some people haven't been impressed by it, but I really liked it. Nice little storyline spoiler[alien comes to your planet, becomes your teacher and you have to marry her to keep it a secret].

there are more, just don't feel like listing them all now.

I see no mechs in these series.

However, I do suggest you look into a few series without mechs. Even though that's one of my favorite kinds of anime (Gundam, fullmetal panic....) there's alot of other stuff out there that has plenty of action, and im sure you'll love.

two that come to mind, That i've recently started watching, are Gankutsuou: The Count Of Monte Cristo, and maybe Turn A Gundam. Thy are both very good, each for their own reasons. As you may expect, Turn A is mecha anime. But it is good mecha anime. Very Happy
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I am very open to any good anime, but I was looking for mech because my collection is slightly lacking in that genre. I have not yet seen Bleach because it is not lisenced and I do not want to download it, as I do not support downloading.

However thank you very much I appreciate the quick replies and all of those sugestions are great. I have seen Neon Genesis Evangelion and Rhaxephon and pretty much all the gundam shows, though I want to stay away from gundam to see a broader range of mech anime. I have also seen Full Metal Panic as well as Fumoffou and TSR. So if you could keep the recomendations coming please do!!
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Kyle Smyth wrote:
I am very open to any good anime, but I was looking for mech because my collection is slightly lacking in that genre. I have not yet seen Bleach because it is not lisenced and I do not want to download it, as I do not support downloading.

However thank you very much I appreciate the quick replies and all of those sugestions are great. I have seen Neon Genesis Evangelion and Rhaxephon and pretty much all the gundam shows, though I want to stay away from gundam to see a broader range of mech anime. I have also seen Full Metal Panic as well as Fumoffou and TSR. So if you could keep the recomendations coming please do!!

vandread sounds to be right up your ass...er i mean alley, sorry. It deff. gets points for being unique, which is rare with mech anime. Also, for more recent series that rock (and contain mechs) i would have to say try Eureka Seven and Fafner. Both great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2