• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
American One Piece sucks...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Anybody been watching One Piece? I totally like the Japanese version better. Why? Because for one thing, there's not really any emotion coming from the voice actors for USA OP. Another thing, they've cencored way too much stuff (blood, humor). Last, they've left out too many details from the story. It's just too much for me. I don't even watch it anymore. I think it was a mistake to release it as a Saturday morning TV show.

Your turn.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
In other news the sky is blue...

Ok, I should probably say more then that so... um... Cardcaptors was also an extremely butchered anime. I think One Piece and Cardcaptors are considered to be the worst dubs in anime.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
American One Piece sucks...

Wow, big surprise. Hey Marge, here's another shocker: I like beer!!!
beast

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I read that the butchered version of One Piece is considered a flop in the USA, well glad to hear that. I heard they payed a lot for the license, too. Wink
RedComet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen the normal One Piece but I still slightly enjoy it meaning that I would really enjoy seeing it in it's original form.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't you think of something more interesting to talk about? Pretty much the majority concensus is that the One Piece dub sucks. I on the other hand don't really mind dubbing and editing. Main reason why they made all those edits:

1. It was licensed by 4Kids - The company doesn't really shout out 4 teens does it?
2. They air it on Saturdays - Usually teens are out and about while kids are at home watching saturday morning cartoons.
3. It was unavoidable to take out the blood for little kids. Blood equals disapproval of parents which limits the number of kids watching which means bad ratings which causes the tossing out of One Piece for someone else to grab..........wait that'd be a good thing.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to let out about it because I have all 40 One Piece Manga Volumes to date, have watched all the Japanese One Piece Anime, and think that it just couldn't meet my expectations (which isn't really A LOT).
hikaru393

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quote
never seen the japanese version of one piece but what did they cut and what arc or eps did they skip?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:11 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I just wanted to let out about it because I have all 40 One Piece Manga Volumes to date, have watched all the Japanese One Piece Anime, and think that it just couldn't meet my expectations (which isn't really A LOT).

Well consider that you've seen the fansubs which i'm assuming you pretty much have no right to complain about a dub as you viewed the original for FREE. Just think of it like this, you got it for free and the english dub is like a slap on the face to you for downloading the FREE fansubs. Besides we all know that FREE fansubs is the "legal" way to watch it right?

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Don't like American One Piece? Then don't watch it.
Just stick to your "original" One Piece fansub and manga scanlation.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:30 pm Reply with quote
hikaru393 wrote:
never seen the japanese version of one piece but what did they cut and what arc or eps did they skip?
One Piece Uncensored is the only I could find. It's a Tripod page, and almost all the images are broken, but hey, it should give you a genral look at was cut. If someone has a better site, please, by all means.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Really? Ya don't say. I wonder why no one has mentioned this before.

Anyways, I'm all for domestic releases and have no bias against them but yes, One Piece is one of those titles that was just butchered beyond belief. But it is 4kids so it should be expected. As people have already said though, this is old news and has been beaten to death a hundred times over. At any rate, I've never even seen the american version but I have seen the original and I thought it sucked anyways so I'm pretty sure an horribly edited version would just be that much worse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:58 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
One Piece Uncensored is the only I could find. It's a Tripod page, and almost all the images are broken, but hey, it should give you a genral look at was cut. If someone has a better site, please, by all means.

Ah yes, good times... *my site*

opguide.bravehost.com/ is a more up to date one though.

Quote:
Well consider that you've seen the fansubs which i'm assuming you pretty much have no right to complain about a dub as you viewed the original for FREE. Just think of it like this, you got it for free and the english dub is like a slap on the face to you for downloading the FREE fansubs. Besides we all know that FREE fansubs is the "legal" way to watch it right?

Seeing as how most people are actually willing to buy the uncut DVDs if they ever come out (which 4Kids has promised us many times, so don't pull this "Lawl they dont care" crap, any company who jerks around their fans deserves to be ridiculed), and that the main fansubbing group has reportedly said that they will indeed take off fansubs progressively if the uncut DVDs are released, I fail to see how this statement holds any ground.

You know, if the 4Kids dub wasn't a steaming pile of shit, do you think people would be bootlegging?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:

You know, if the 4Kids dub wasn't a steaming pile of shit, do you think people would be bootlegging?

Yes, but not in the same quantity.
Kaidou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote
I'd just wish the dubbers and translators would use a little common sense when doing these things. I know some of these anime's are geared towards younger kids, but for the other ones like naruto, there's no need to make all the characters sound like immigrants fresh off the boat...is fluidity in speech so much to ask for? -__-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2