• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga before the anime, or vice-versa?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rektagunn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:05 am Reply with quote
I know that typically, the manga version extends the storyline more so than the anime. But if you were in a situation where you haven't seen either version (manga or anime), which one would you see first, and why?

I'm just wondering if there is a general rule of thumb out there that I'm not aware about. I haven't been exposed to that many anime vs. manga dilemmas, so I'm trying to see the best way of "taking in" the storyline.

Thanks.
Gauss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:23 am Reply with quote
The rule of thumb is that whichever came out first is the better. Occassionally an anime is better than the manga it is based on, but I can't recall any manga that was better than the original anime.
Angelcake

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
It can be a really hard decision at times, because sometimes the anime and manga are both really good, but for different reasons.

Take Rikdo Koshi's Excel Saga, for example. The manga is mostly a parody of Japanese life, whereas the anime basically parodies every anime and film under the sun.

They're both really funny, but for different reasons.

However, I myself usually check out the manga first before the anime.
beast

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I would watch/read whatever came out first since the original intention/message/design of the author is really important to me.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I prefer anime more because: it has color, it's got music, it's got awesome seiyuu, it's got animated fight scenes, etc.

One exception is Naruto. The manga is great, the anime sucks.

Another important factor for me is that anime is easier to get than the manga. So I kind of go with "ignorance is bliss" by ignoring comments about the original manga of an anime. Self-denial is so bad. Sad
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
It varies. Sometimes I read the manga first, sometimes I watch the anime first. I don't really have rule that I follow on that.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
My first experience with anime was Sailor Moon, then I read the manga. While the characters are the same as is the basic story line, the actual stories are woven very differently. This I like. I really don't like it when the anime follows the manga exactly and vice versa. I think that you get more nuances or information from each if they are a bit different from each other.

Ceres was another where the anime wasn't exactly like the manga. Two story arcs were left out of the anime and one major character became a minor one. But, I still enjoyed both types.

Another example is Saiyuki: spoiler[Didn't guess from the anime that Kannan was Hakkai's sister! Got that from the manga!]
Master_J

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
There are cases were the manga comes out after the anime as well (Big O). In my opinion, the anime was better, so I guess the "whatever comes first is best" theory holds true in this case Smile. But I would always watch/read both before forming an opinion as to which is better.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote
I think the only manga I read before the anime was Chobits, and it definitely affected my perception of the anime's ending, because spoiler[the anime ending pulls its punches and omits the "Hideki chooses to be a virgin forever since "going all the way" would press Chii's switch and reset her memory" plot from the manga.] (**NOTE: This spoiler block contains manga and anime ending spoilers for Chobits**) Other than that, I check out mangas to see how the story continues, or just to get an alternate take on things...wow, I really need to catch up on some manga reading.
rektagunn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:47 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the insight folks. It helps in trying to figure out whether I should hold out on the anime and buy the manga first, since it seems that whatever came out first should be seen first (based on some of the responses here).

Azathrael wrote:

Another important factor for me is that anime is easier to get than the manga. So I kind of go with "ignorance is bliss" by ignoring comments about the original manga of an anime. Self-denial is so bad. Sad

Yeah, I agree. In my case, it's a bit of a struggle when they're showing, say, Saikano at my anime club knowing that the manga came out first and it's different from the anime version. But then I've heard so many good things about the anime that I'm really tempted to see it right then and there (I caved in, by the way Smile ) And now that the live action movie's coming out, I'm faced with the same issue (I've only read the first 2 volumes of the manga).
camelot187757

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I read the Love Hina manga before I watched any of the Love Hina Episodes and I liked the manga about 400 times more. The anime was too drawn out and strained and it wanted to more focus on Naru than Keitaro in my opinion. That and I read that they added more charcters and plots and such which I thought was unnecessary and killed the anime. And no I didn't finish watching it so I can't make that much of a call but after reading the manga i really wanted to see the anime but the anime sucked. Plus Kitsune had a really overdone accent.
NyuuChan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
I read the Love Hina manga before I watched any of the Love Hina Episodes and I liked the manga about 400 times more. The anime was too drawn out and strained and it wanted to more focus on Naru than Keitaro in my opinion. That and I read that they added more charcters and plots and such which I thought was unnecessary and killed the anime. And no I didn't finish watching it so I can't make that much of a call but after reading the manga i really wanted to see the anime but the anime sucked. Plus Kitsune had a really overdone accent.

same here. they were 100% different.

the manga, was a very cute love story. I loved it, made me laugh, really nicley drawn as well.

now the anime.....

to understand the love hina anime, you must grasp the basic theme. And the theme here is: naru's boobies.

that's why i didn't like the anime. Too much focused on teh girls, not the story; they shoulda saved me some time and just made it a big hentai. Then i would have expected it to be crap.
KittiCat1031

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote
From my experience, I think it's better to see the anime first and then read the manga. Since the anime is adapted from the manga, it sometimes does not follow the storyline. The anime leaves some storylines out so the manga fills those gaps. There are also times when the anime ends when the manga is still being written. Therefore, after watching all of the anime episodes, the story still continues on in the manga.

Because of the gaps and endings that could leave you hanging, you might expect a lot more from the anime if you read the manga first. The anime deserve their own artistic credit even if they don't completely follow the manga.

If you can't be satisfied with one, then you always have the other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1