• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Steins;Gate BD+DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
levonr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Even with Dr. Pepper references gone I think this might be my favorite dub of 2012.

It would appear the voice of Mayuri(Jackie Ross) that this is her first & only role(so far). I look forward to more from her in the future. A little surprising they gave a newbie a main role, usually FUNi will go with Monical Rial or Luci Christian for such a big role. So its a little refreshing.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
I have only seen a few dub episodes of this on funi's youtube, and I kinda have been anal about continuing it subbed anywhere else since in general once I start off dub first I don't feel like transitioning back to japanese unless it theres no other choice of if its a really, really, REALLY bad dub (lookin at you needless). besides everything uttered by okabe was funny to me even if it made him look like a mad man, but thats the appeal right?

The episodes left me pretty confused but I am still interested so if anything I'll rent the DVDs first to try them out then consider buying it if I like it enough.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
Just a note the Doctor Who (and I believe Star Trek) references are only in the dub of course.

The jokes in the original are more based on 2ch humor.

Personally I prefer the dub script but as someone else mentioned no one can top Miyano for me.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Just a note the Doctor Who (and I believe Star Trek) references are only in the dub of course.

The jokes in the original are more based on 2ch humor.

Personally I prefer the dub script but as someone else mentioned no one can top Miyano for me.

I didn't know that was how they chose to equate the jokes. Did they not think that 4chan-related meme humor would be as accessible so they chose things slightly more mainstream (Doctor Who, Star Trek)? There are places were references like "Trololol" or "We are Anonymous. We are Legion." could have worked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:18 am Reply with quote
Is it true they removed all the anime references like Zero no Tsukaima as well? Kind of stupid if they remove anime references in an anime, but add in Dr. Who ones. Kind of makes Daru being an otaku moot, I guess he's a Trekkie in the dub or something? I wonder if they're trying to market this to more 'mainstream Sci-fi' fans than anime fans.
Etrien

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
generally unlikable characters

I came in here wanting to take issue with this, but then I realized that, no, that's really pretty much right. I'd forgotten just how much my final opinion of the show (pretty high) had colored over my ongoing opinion of the show (middle-road). Many of the characters grew on me by the end, especially Okabe, but I'm not sure if I liked any of them in the beginning.

Mayushi was the worst - she grated my nerves badly in the beginning. But then I found a different way of looking at her character - she's actually mentally handicapped. Mentally or emotionally stunted in some way that probably leaves her socially isolated from most people her own age. Of course, exaggeratedly childish "airhead" characters are a staple of anime, so I don't know if this was at all intentional by the writers or merely my own interpretation. But, once I considered that possibility, her character actually felt highly justified and made a lot of sense in the context of the story. It explained all her strange behavioral quirks, as well as why she spends so much time with Okabe and Co.

Okabe was slightly similar, in that my eventual affection for his character required a perspective shift. Originally, I felt like he was too over-the-top, even for anime. Everything he did felt so forced (and I hated his laugh). But then I realized that this was all intentional. (Though the awfully-acted laughing should have been a tip-off, given the pedigree of his seiyuu.) I've personally known people who try to behave like anime characters, and they tend to grate on me. But they also tend to act like Okabe. The behavior they're emulating comes off as really forced and over-the-top in real life and frequently annoys those around them, but they just keep on at it. Okabe is socially inept and too awkward to be himself, so he has an exaggerated false persona he invokes. But, still unable to get along with most people, he hides himself away with his other fellow outcasts. Unlike with Mayushi, I DO feel that this interpretation was intentional in the writing.

So, once I was able to see the main cast as a group of genuinely socially-dysfunctional outcasts instead "omg waaacky anime characters", I grew to like most of them. (IE, they were no longer anime characters acting like anime characters; in Okabe's case, it was an anime character acting like a real person acting like an anime character. Wink )
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
Mayushi was the worst - she grated my nerves badly in the beginning. But then I found a different way of looking at her character - she's actually mentally handicapped. Mentally or emotionally stunted in some way that probably leaves her socially isolated from most people her own age. Of course, exaggeratedly childish "airhead" characters are a staple of anime, so I don't know if this was at all intentional by the writers or merely my own interpretation. But, once I considered that possibility, her character actually felt highly justified and made a lot of sense in the context of the story. It explained all her strange behavioral quirks, as well as why she spends so much time with Okabe and Co.

Wow. That's actually a really awesome theory. I mean, you're right. There's no way this is intentional. Still, if you choose to interpret it this way it makes the show significantly better.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
*terrible, terrible sentence*
This sentence needs a rewrite.

Holy crap, does it ever! Sorry - it's been a rough week. Embarassed

I suspected that my assessment of the characters as annoying would get some discussion, and I think JesusOtaku summed it up pretty nicely with the "quirky for quirky's sake" point - had the plot moved a little faster, I think this would have substantially reduced the irritation factor of the characters and improved my overall assessment of the first half. My general feeling as I was watching these episodes was that as a 12 or 13 episode series, this would have been amazing, but it's taking too long to get to the point.

Most of the otaku references were replaced by western sci fi ones, although a "Back to the Future" reference was in both the dub and the sub and at one point Daru has a BRS notebook. Despite all that, I loved the over-the-top speech patterns for Okabe, though I would have really liked them in Miyano's voice. Very Happy

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for this first half - which still had its great moments, and I do love time travel stories - I'm looking forward to the second because that last episode made things heat up very quickly and it looks like we're finally going to get to where the show wants to be.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

I suspected that my assessment of the characters as annoying would get some discussion, and I think JesusOtaku summed it up pretty nicely with the "quirky for quirky's sake" point - had the plot moved a little faster, I think this would have substantially reduced the irritation factor of the characters and improved my overall assessment of the first half.

Most of the otaku references were replaced by western sci fi ones, although a "Back to the Future" reference was in both the duband the sub ... Despite all that, I loved the over-the-top speech patterns for Okabe, though I would have really liked them in Miyano's voice. Very Happy

I was so grateful for them keeping that reference; one of my favorite 80's movies.

I felt the same way watching the series the first time around with the quirky characteristics. I honestly thought I wouldn't like Feryis because "She's a maid with cat ears so she's adorable" but, in the second half, I found her more tolerable. Although, near the end, spoiler[only Okabe and Kurisu have the most character development ] so I can't help but feel that the other characters were just extras to fill in more space.

Fencedude5609 wrote:

Also Ruka's situation is vastly more complex than you are giving it credit for.

He likes Okabe. Okabe doesn't like him. spoiler[He uses the time machine to turn into a girl. Okabe still doesn't like him. He turns back into a guy.] End of Ruka's subplot.

Having women voice male characters is nothing new (for example, male characters who are young and haven't hit puberty yet & female voice actors known for voicing guys) but, in older shows such as Stop! Hibari-kun, the joke is for incredibly effeminate man to look and sound like women so that when they develop a romance with the main male lead, the audience finds their romance less threatening.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
Most of the otaku references were replaced by western sci fi ones, although a "Back to the Future" reference was in both the duband the sub ... Despite all that, I loved the over-the-top speech patterns for Okabe, though I would have really liked them in Miyano's voice. Very Happy

I was so grateful for them keeping that reference; one of my favorite 80's movies.

I think somewhere in the second episode when one of the characters introduced herself, in the dub, another small reference was added from The Goonies which I actually just watched on iTunes over the weekend (really fun movie btw considering I grew up in the 90s and haven't seen much 80s stuff).
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Is it true they removed all the anime references like Zero no Tsukaima as well? Kind of stupid if they remove anime references in an anime, but add in Dr. Who ones. Kind of makes Daru being an otaku moot, I guess he's a Trekkie in the dub or something? I wonder if they're trying to market this to more 'mainstream Sci-fi' fans than anime fans.

they didn't make him trekkie and he still talks about his 2-d harem and stuff. i think there is an all your base joke in there somewhere
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

He likes Okabe. Okabe doesn't like him. spoiler[He uses the time machine to turn into a girl. Okabe still doesn't like him. He turns back into a guy.] End of Ruka's subplot.

Having women voice male characters is nothing new (for example, male characters who are young and haven't hit puberty yet & female voice actors known for voicing guys) but, in older shows such as Stop! Hibari-kun, the joke is for incredibly effeminate man to look and sound like women so that when they develop a romance with the main male lead, the audience finds their romance less threatening.

Ok, and what do those older shows have to do with this situation? Ruka's efiminate and unsure of his sexuality and even gender.

spoiler[and yes, while your spoiler is correct, the show handled it fantastically well. Okabe's actions in regards to Ruka were very considerate and respectful. The show gets points for not making Ruka into a "comedy gay"]
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:

I think somewhere in the second episode when one of the characters introduced herself, in the dub, another small reference was added from The Goonies.

Nice. I'm going have to check it out; always in the mood for a good movie.

Fencedude5609 wrote:

Ok, and what do those older shows have to do with this situation? Ruka's efiminate and unsure of his sexuality and even gender.

spoiler[and yes, while your spoiler is correct, the show handled it fantastically well. Okabe's actions in regards to Ruka were very considerate and respectful. The show gets points for not making Ruka into a "comedy gay"]

The point is that using a highly effeminate guy (who likes guys or unsure of their own gender) for a joke or fetish fuel is nothing new. It's an old form of humor that I didn't find funny in a 1970's, 80's, 90's show and I don't find it funny in a 2010's show.

It wouldn't surprise me if the whole point of Ruka's character is to be a tool for pandering that has been used in anime (or in general) for quite a while.

He's not the only character that was meant to appeal to a fetish (rich maid/cat girl; smart tsundere; genki girl; quiet type who uses cellphones to communicate; tomboy/spoiler[time traveler from the future]) but he, personally is my least favorite character in the show.
Also, you say the show doesn't make him a spoiler[comedic gay], and yet.

Also, spoiler[didn't Okabe grab Ruka's crotch in the later episodes because he thought that the text to make him a girl didn't work?]
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

The point is that using a highly effeminate guy (who likes guys or unsure of their own gender) for a joke or fetish fuel is nothing new. It's an old form of humor that I didn't find funny in a 1970's, 80's, 90's show and I don't find it funny in a 2010's show.

It wouldn't surprise me if the whole point of Ruka's character is to be a tool for pandering that has been used in anime (or in general) for quite a while.

He's not the only character that was meant to appeal to a fetish (rich maid/cat girl; smart tsundere; genki girl; quiet type who uses cellphones to communicate; tomboy/spoiler[time traveler from the future]) but he, personally is my least favorite character in the show.
Also, you say the show doesn't make him a spoiler[comedic gay], and yet.

Also, spoiler[didn't Okabe grab Ruka's crotch in the later episodes because he thought that the text to make him a girl didn't work?]

It's not entirely used for comedy, like later in 2nd half of the series: spoiler[Later on Rukako, now a girl, remembers that she was once a boy (which btw is a key fantasy element to let the characters remember fragments of their alternate personalities, kinda-sorta like a pseudo Reading Steiner). Okabe explains the situation and she agrees to have the changes to her past undone, under the condition that they go on a date. Near the end of their date, she cries and regrets being a girl because of the feelings she now knows, since she could be closer to him than ever before (which I hope the dub will execute well, the emotion is pretty raw there).

Anyway, this raises interesting questions of how people react to one another, depending on their sex. Love seems to transcend the boundaries of sex, but how about other feelings? It seemed as tho Ruka was more comfortable feeling unrequited love compared to the way he felt as a girl. Perhaps because the social norms against homosexuality made him feel that way? It's an interesting thought experiment that goes beyond the "what ifs" in everyday life.]
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve gave a time travel story a passing grade? And an A- at that?

Had you the decency to actually respect our other discussions, this wouldn't be a surprise to you. I even mentioned this title by name when I said how it was better than that other fairy tale story.

Even still, I have to admit I had a snarky note to you in my pre-post reply with "And dtm42 should take notes on how time traveling is done".
Razz

Cheers, mate. See you around, as we both know this isn't over.

Dun. Dunn. Dunnnnnnnn. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6