• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Adult Swim Action

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Hagakure wrote:

I'm a huge Rurouni Kenshin fan. (not to be techinical, but its Rurouni, which is a wanderer) Rurouni Kenshin has very little chance of being shown on CN. Why? Because CN has a close relationship with Bandai, and it is difficult for them to afford the cost of addtional contracts with other States lisencers.

In addtion, Rurouni Kenshin would get some serious cuts of blood, despite the fact the the lead character, Kenshin, uses a reverse-blade sword which cannot kill, whereas other characters do not.

I completely agree with you though, it wold be cool to see some new anime on Toonami. DBZ shouldn't be removed (even though I don't particularly like it, I must admit it has a huge following) but we certainly don't need so much of it. And remove Batman Beyond and The Powerpuff Girls. I guess they figure that there is enough anime on Adult Swim Action so they can put other things in the Toonami block. I still don't think they have a place there.[/i]

*L* Who said I had a strong feeling that CN will pick it up. Razz I said "Kenshin won't cut on (it) Toonami, but on Adult Swim, it'll do pretty good.", but I should have put a big "If" in front of Kenshin. Razz Besides, they grab Tenchi and have Fun's 3 out of 4 anime shows.

That why I said it'll be better for SW. Less cuts and no need to change the change the diolog.

*L* PPG has got to go. They show it way too friggn' much. In the morning, afternoon, and the evening. Now it's 2 times in the afternoon. I'm all "Puff"ed out. *L* They should send the Toonami censored Gundams' and PC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:08 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, folks, the Toonami block was never really meant to be anime only; remember how long Thundercats was on that damn thing?

We've got our Adult Swim action block showing nigh-uncut anime, so let the suits have their fun with the 2 hours that garner them the most ratings.

bb smith: BATHTUBCLONE, IS THAT YOU?!?!!? WE'VE MISSED YOU!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bb smith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:08 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

To be fair, folks, the Toonami block was never really meant to be anime only; remember how long Thundercats was on that damn thing?

We've got our Adult Swim action block showing nigh-uncut anime, so let the suits have their fun with the 2 hours that garner them the most ratings.

bb smith: BATHTUBCLONE, IS THAT YOU?!?!!? WE'VE MISSED YOU!!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
sorry friend i am new here
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 6:55 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

Wasn't that last week. Razz The earlier Toonami was Moltar (1,000 times better host then Tom.) It's Thundercats, Jonny Quest, and Super Friends. I think DBZ was in there too, but I can't remember.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 8:25 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

*nod* ever since the beginning, it's been promoted as an action cartoon block.. with a dose of anime on the side.

In fact, it wasn't until ... uhm.... 1999, i think... that the entire block became anime, if only for a few months.

and now it's struck a balance between domestic and foreign animation.. it's a shame, though, because there's only so much Batman Beyond ... but what would be a quality domestic animated show to replace Batman Beyond?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Case

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:11 am Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

and now it's struck a balance between domestic and foreign animation.. it's a shame, though, because there's only so much Batman Beyond ... but what would be a quality domestic animated show to replace Batman Beyond?

<OT>

I have been championing for The Centurions to join the Toonami lineup for quite some time now. It fits the "action 'toon" qualification, it has that unique twist on the ever-popular mecha theme, it's about the same age as Thundercats, and is just an all-around good show IMHO. It hasn't been on the air in at least five years, and really deserves a revival.

</OT>
ani-cleo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 1:28 pm Reply with quote
hello, Thundercats and Batman Beyond are animes! Thundercats is an amine from the 80's and Batman Beyond is from Japan which makes it an anime!!

While Toonami might not have been ment as an anime thing, they let it become that!!

Besides , One of the best animes on adult swim
is Yu Yu Hakishio (spelling?) becuase it is different!! All the other ones are good but they all seem the same!! Example: Bebop and Outlaw Star!!
Vicious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Thundercats animation was done in Japan(Or by Japanese at least), but the show is a american production. Concept, characters, story etc. all from the US. People think it's anime because they see a few Japanese names in the credits, but it's not.

And I really, really doubt batman beyond is anime. It's a damn fine show, but it's not anime.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:47 pm Reply with quote
ani-cleo wrote:

hello, Thundercats and Batman Beyond are animes! Thundercats is an amine from the 80's and Batman Beyond is from Japan which makes it an anime!!

While Toonami might not have been ment as an anime thing, they let it become that!!

Besides , One of the best animes on adult swim
is Yu Yu Hakishio (spelling?) becuase it is different!! All the other ones are good but they all seem the same!! Example: Bebop and Outlaw Star!!

Oh, CRAP.

We aren't going into another one of those "What is and isn't anime" flame wars, are we?

Well, let's look at the facts:

In Japan, Bugs Bunny is considered anime.

According to most video stores, Aeon Flux and Spawn are anime.

Batman Beyond was written, directed, voiced, edited, broadcasted, and marketed in America. Most of the actual animation was produced in Japan and Korea.

Somebody already mentioned Thundercats, so I won't regurgitate anything.

In short, we can go back and forth debating what the hell anime is and isn't, but I, personally, don't want to.

--EDIT--

And for THE LAST F***ING TIME, Outlaw Star and Cowboy BeBop are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT shows. Outlaw Star is a goofy, anime cliche-laden adventure show. Bebop is something of a modern masterpiece that I love dearly. THEY'RE NOT THE SAME. NEITHER IS TRIGUN. PLEASE STOP.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ramen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 7:08 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

In Japan, Bugs Bunny is considered anime.

Very good point. Remember, "Anime" is the Japanese word for animation. To be absolutely technical, anything that is animated is "Anime." This would be anything from Bugs Bunny to Gundam to Snow White to Ren and Stimpy, etc. We are the ones who give the word "anime" the connotation that it has to be Japanese animation.

Given that, most people feel that anime is animation that was originally marketed and distributed for the Japanese audience. The actual animators are irrelevant. Heck, some things we consider anime are animated in Korea and India, right? Following this definition, Thundercats and Batman are NOT anime.

Now, regarding Pilot Candidate (aka Candidate for Goddess, aka Megami Kouhousei) I originally saw it subbed and have not watched it on AS. I didn't think it was that bad, but I was definitely not too impressed. It also left me with a "What the heck!?! Where's ther rest?" reaction at the end of the series. It did seem like it is an intro to something bigger, but I have seen no indication that there is to be any continuation.
Thrush

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:50 am Reply with quote
CN added Mobile Suit Gundam to their adult swim lineup. Hopefully they wont yank it midway through its run like they did last time.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:11 am Reply with quote
Thrush wrote:

CN added Mobile Suit Gundam to their adult swim lineup. Hopefully they wont yank it midway through its run like they did last time.

I haven't seen MSG on CN yet, but wasn't on Toonami at first, but the bigger question, did it fall under the "knife".
ashram12

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 11:54 am Reply with quote
Personally, I don't really care as to how much anime is on Toonami, however I question whether the shows they have there now belong there. Like "Hamtaro". The overall happy look of the show sort of clashes with the whole mood that Toonami has.
Then there's the "Powerpuff girls". My biggest gripe concerning the show is that it's aired many times during the course of the day, so is it really necessary to put it in Toonami? I can understand they want to promote the new "PPG" movie, but sheesh...
And lastly "Batman Beyond". It belongs in Toonami's line-up, but god, do I hate this show. I've tried several times to watch it, I just don't like it. I hate the extremely geometrical look of the show, and the storylines really don't grip me. I prefer "Batman: the animated series" a million times over both "Batman Beyond" and "Superman".
Hagakure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:

I haven't seen MSG on CN yet, but wasn't on Toonami at first, but the bigger question, did it fall under the "knife".

Have you seen Mobile Suit Gundam on DVD/VHS? I have the first three DVDs, and its pretty knifed even without CN's editing. 79's violence paranoia, I suppose. Or perhaps hwen it was brought here.

Nevertheless, it is one of my favorite shows.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Hagakure wrote:

Have you seen Mobile Suit Gundam on DVD/VHS? I have the first three DVDs, and its pretty knifed even without CN's editing. 79's violence paranoia, I suppose. Or perhaps hwen it was brought here.

Nevertheless, it is one of my favorite shows.

*L* I forgot to mention that I didn't have the DVDs yet. The only odd thing I notice was the revamp opening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4