• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost In Shell 2: Innocence DONE RIGHT on DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
http://www.ghostintheshell2.co.uk/innocence_high.html

Official website for the Manga UK edition DVD release.

Here are the OFFICIAL region 2 UK DVD specs:

Quote:
DISC 1
•Aspect ratio 1.85:1
• The Making Of Innocence Featurette
• Commentary by Mamoru Oshii (Director) and Toshihiko Nishikubo (Aimation Director) with subtitles
English Dolby Digital Surround Sound 5.1
• English Stereo 2.0
• Japanese Dolby Digital Surround Sound 5.1
• Japanese Stereo
English Subtitles
• Forward by Jonathan Clements

*GASP*! Shocked ENGLISH SUBTITLES! WHAT ARE THOSE?! Dreamworks/Go Fish Pictures certainly didn't see fit to provide us with those.

AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE TRACK! Featuring the VA's from the ORIGINAL movie and the TV series?! OMG! Shocked Dreamworks wouldn't give us that either.

Quote:

DISC 2
•English DTS
• Japanese DTS
• English Subtitles
• Manga Trailers
• Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2ND GIG Volume 2 “Sneak Peak” at Episode 5
• UK Exclusive “Face To Face Interview With Mamoru Oshii”
• Japanese Trailer

My feelings on this situation that Dreamworks/Go Fish Pictures forced on us is rather harsh. Here's what I have to say:

Oh and Dreamworks, you suck. Screw you and Go Fish pictures. This is the DVD we should've gotten. You don't care about the fans and you don't care about Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence. If you were smart, you'd port this DVD to the US and give us a proper version. But you won't because you are stupid.

I pray that you never get a hold of quality anime ever again, because you don't know what to do with it, and you don't deserve it. You are totally clueless.

In addition, here are links to clips of the English version:

http://onlinemoviepromo.com/player.php?id=556

It makes me weep how badly American Ghost In The Shell fans got screwed over like this. All because of the baka at Dreamworks/Go Fish Pictures. It just ticks me off.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
The R4 is going to remove the 2.0 tracks, and also have a 5.1 DTS track for the English (which is only using TV cast, since the casts between the movie and TV series are slightly different), and is also going to contain an Australian-exclusive interview with the producer aswell as other features from around the world.

It's good stuff!

Quote:
baka

Um.. uh.. no comment Rolling Eyes
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:

Maybe it's just the poor quality audio on the clip, but that didn't really sound like Crispin Freeman as Togusa. It sounded too bassy. I hope it is Freeman doing the voice, though. I'm used to his Togusa.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
The R4 is going to remove the 2.0 tracks, and also have a 5.1 DTS track for the English (which is only using TV cast, since the casts between the movie and TV series are slightly different), and is also going to contain an Australian-exclusive interview with the producer aswell as other features from around the world.

It's good stuff!

Quote:
baka

Um.. uh.. no comment Rolling Eyes

Um, whatever. Idiots alright. Does that make you feel better?
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:
TheVileOne wrote:

Maybe it's just the poor quality audio on the clip, but that didn't really sound like Crispin Freeman as Togusa. It sounded too bassy. I hope it is Freeman doing the voice, though. I'm used to his Togusa.

http://www.ghostintheshell2.co.uk/innocence_high.html

You can watch a second English clip on this website. And yes it is Crispy.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:13 am Reply with quote
The real question is whether or not my R1 DVD player will play it. If it will maybe I'll care, otherwise I will continue to fume about how Dreamworks screwed up royally. Mad

Of course none of that actually stopped me from picking up the crumby sub only release when I found it used in a bargain bin for $5 at a rental place near here. I wouldn't be opposed to buying this better version if it will work, I'm guessing it won't though.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:17 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
The real question is whether or not my R1 DVD player will play it. If it will maybe I'll care, otherwise I will continue to fume about how Dreamworks screwed up royally. Mad

If its the type of DVD player that can play multiple DVD regions than yes.

If its a region free DVD player, then yes.

If its strictly region one, then no.

Quote:

Of course none of that actually stopped me from picking up the crumby sub only release when I found it used in a bargain bin for $5 at a rental place near here. I wouldn't be opposed to buying this better version if it will work, I'm guessing it won't though.

I wouldn't buy it unless you know for certain that its compatible with your DVD player. That's all I can really tell you.

Seriously, screw Dreamworks/Go Fish Pictures for forcing this situation on us.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:32 am Reply with quote
Man, I'm sorry, but Innocence was one of those movie's where it was hard to keep reading the subs because of how much talking there is. Also, you miss so much eye candy because of it. Usually I don't mind if I have to watch something in Japanese, but I love the Ghost in the Shell dub. I was saddened that it wasn't put on the second movie, I honestly don't see what Dreamworks/Go Fish productions was thinkin'. I had to resend in my DVD so I didn't have those annoying captions in it awhile back, so thankfully they're gone now.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:51 am Reply with quote
Same here probabally why it was in the bin in the first place, I think. I also really like the SAC cast and was really disappointed in the release itself. Not only the lack of an English dub and screwed up subs, but the overall cheap-bare-bones feel to the release, like they rushed it or just plain didn't make the effort. The extras were sparring and the coverart was crap, not to mention there wasn't even a chapter guide insert. Sad
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:56 am Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:
Man, I'm sorry, but Innocence was one of those movie's where it was hard to keep reading the subs because of how much talking there is. Also, you miss so much eye candy because of it. Usually I don't mind if I have to watch something in Japanese, but I love the Ghost in the Shell dub. I was saddened that it wasn't put on the second movie, I honestly don't see what Dreamworks/Go Fish productions was thinkin'. I had to resend in my DVD so I didn't have those annoying captions in it awhile back, so thankfully they're gone now.

GoFish's logic was that since they were appealing to a foreign/art film crowd, they wouldn't want to include a dub, plus they said that overall they disliked the quality of dubbing in the US.

Now whether this is a real sentiment or just being cheap, we'll never know.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:59 am Reply with quote
DarkTenshi90 wrote:

They weren't thinking, that's the point. They are a bunch of dumbass idiots. They know nothing about handling quality anime.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:01 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

GoFish's logic was that since they were appealing to a foreign/art film crowd, they wouldn't want to include a dub, plus they said that overall they disliked the quality of dubbing in the US.

And yet they didn't include ACTUAL sub-titles either. Even though the box says it contains them in addition to English closed captioning. Its called a PRODUCT DEFECT.

Quote:

Now whether this is a real sentiment or just being cheap, we'll never know.

Either way, they are moronic dumb asses. I pray they never license quality anime that I actually care about ever again. They truly suck at it.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:05 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:

And yet they didn't include ACTUAL sub-titles either. Even though the box says it contains them in addition to English closed captioning. Its called a PRODUCT DEFECT.

Yet it didn't happen in Millenium Actress, but it's not like I am them, or defending what they did, it's just what they said, that's all.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:07 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Yet it didn't happen in Millenium Actress, but it's not like I am them, or defending what they did, it's just what they said, that's all.

It proves that they truly don't care about this property or the fans at all. And they suck. What they said was wrong and idiotic. It proves their dim-wittedness when handling anime.
DKL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:25 am Reply with quote
Wait... what was this thing about their (Dreamworks... I think) catalogue being sold or something?

I heard about this a while back... so yeah, anyone remember that?

Well... I'm a little disappointed with the release too... I totally wanted a dub to go along with this.

That reminds me, it's Richard Epcar doing the adaptation, right? I wonder why Kevin Seymour isn't directing...

EDIT: Oh, it seems that his (Epcar) company is the one that actually got the job, not animaze
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4