• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation Fall 2012 Survey

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
https://s.zoomerang.com/s/funimationfallsurvey
Quote:
Hello!

This survey is SUPER important to us and we appreciate your help.

To prove this: From the survey results, we'll select 10 people to get an early Christmas present. One DVD/Blu-ray of your choice and another for a friend (or you can keep the second one for yourself)

All of this info will be safe and secure. These answers will shape how we go forward in 2013 and beyond...

This survey is a little long -about 30 questions, but please stick with it! There's a progress bar up top to keep track.

Thank you for participating in our survey. Your feedback is important to us.

This survey will close around November 20th. We'll announce the people selected to get the DVD/Blu-rays a few days after.

Lance Heiskell
Your Friendly Neighborhood FUNimation Guy
SeigiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I wanna see where the subbed-only part goes, like if they're talking about fighting back against Sentai's licensing spree, I'm all for it as long as it's not the same awful DVD-only stuff as well, but looking at how this year was rampant with Dub/DVD releases, it probably will be.

Also noticed there was virtually nothing about simulcasts. I would have loved to put my two cents in about the "simul" part, but they've probably heard enough about that by now.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm interested in seeing where the sub-only part goes as well. I wouldn't mind having another company do sub-only releases for series that wouldn't otherwise likely earn a dub.

Chihayafuru, Chihayafuru, CHIHAYAFURU!

Maybe if I say it enough times it'll finally come true.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:

Here, I'll help...

What'd you all put for your top 5 buys in the last 3 years?

Mine were: Princess Jellyfish, Toradora, Natsume's Book of Friends, Kimi ni Todoke, and Detroit Metal City.

After I typed in my choices, I totally laughed at DMC. Oh Krauser, sneaking into my quiet, emotional anime.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Mine were Aria, Utena, Pantsu Witches, Clannad, and Madoka. If Bakemonogatari had shipped out already, I probably would have put that in there, and if I had remembered that I bought Toradora in 2010, I'd have put that in there too. The section that was relevant to my interests was the part about what I'd do if a DVD was released and a BD was released up to a year later. I'd like to see them just straight up say at times that due to licensing demands, they just plain have to wait on a BD, that it is coming, but if you just plain can't wait, here's the DVD to tide those people over.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
@Kyokun

Man, it was hard to sort out what was bought in the past 3 years to some degree, but I went with: Simoun, Tekkaman Blade, Digimon, Fist of the North Star, and Martian Successor Nadesico.
Those are things I'm sure I bought in the past year or so, some things I wasn't sure if I'd bought them 2 or 3, or 4 or more years ago. Digimon is clearly massively nostalgic, but the other 4 are great shows that I wish more people knew of. Three of the five releases were sub only series (and with Nadesico, I watched it sub, Digimon was obviously dub, for nostalgia and the set only having dub)
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
CHIHAYAFURU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kyokun703 wrote:

I chose: Garden of Sinners, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Natsume's Book of Friends, Serial Experiments Lain.

While Lain hasn't been released yet, I do have the Geneon release (which I'll end up selling), and seeing how the visual elements were a big draw for me, I'm very happy to be able to own a remastered (in true HD, no upscale here!) version of the show, so I put it on there. And to all you gals who talked up Natsume, a big thank you. I bought it because of you (and for the backpack if you buy it through NISA) and I'm thoroughly enjoying the show.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Yeah, I'm interested in seeing where the sub-only part goes as well. I wouldn't mind having another company do sub-only releases for series that wouldn't otherwise likely earn a dub.

And as a dub fan I hope that sub-only question goes nowhere, just like it always does. It's nice knowing there is at least one company out there that I can rely on to put out a dub 100% of the time; good ones at that. I really don't think we need another company throwing out sub-only stuff when Sentai seemingly grabs everything and NISA picks up what's left from them. Between those two companies there's a really good chance Chihayafuru will come out, and so there's no need to hope Funimation tries out sub-only stuff so it has slightly better odds. Oh, and lets not forget Discotek. If Love*Com goes well they could try to grab more recent stuff.

kyokun703 wrote:

I was scanning my shelves trying to figure out what I had bought in the last years, and then I remembered pretty much my entire collection is from the last three years and that I could put down most anything. I went:

Panty and Stocking
Madoka Magica
Highschool of the Dead
Gurren Lagann
Moribito

I didn't do it on purpose, but I ended up putting shows from different companies. I do kind of wish I would've put AnoHana instead of Moribito now that I think about it, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Botan24

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
willag wrote:

Here, I'll help...

One more time!!!! CHIHAYAFURU!!!!!!!! ...please?

kyokun703 wrote:

Mine were: Princess Jellyfish, Toradora, Natsume's Book of Friends, Kimi ni Todoke, and Detroit Metal City.

I put Princess Jellyfish on my top five list along with OHSHC (blu-ray complete collection), NANA, Paradise Kiss (which I just finished collecting last month. It was pricey but worth it), and Tiger and Bunny (I'm getting episodes as they come out on itunes.)
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
I don't think I would mind too much them releasing a few sub only shows if they released them on Blu Ray and not DVD only.

My top 5 buys in the past 3 years are:
Toradora
Hayate The Combat Butler
Maria Watches Over Us
Kimi Ni Todoke
Bunny Drop
Lady_Sage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
My top five anime I've bought in the last three years:

Revolutionary Girl Utena
Now and Then, Here and There
AnoHana
Natsume's Book of Friends
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

I guess what they can surmise from that is I'm a supporter of the releases from Nozomi and NIS America, though I still buy more mainstream anime as well.

I also wrote that I'd rather they be honest when they need to wait to release titles on Blu-ray. After all, any anime fan who's had access to the internet has likely heard about all the reverse-importation fears between Japan and the U.S., so most fans would probably be more understanding with Blu-ray release delays if FUNi were just upfront about it from the start.

willag wrote:

To be honest, even if FUNimation were to start releasing sub-only sets, I'd still rather see NIS America get Chihayafuru than FUNi. Chihayafuru deserves some special treatment, and the NISA packaging for it would likely be gorgeous.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
They wanted me to list the first DVD I ever bought? Which was when I was in high school, over 12 years ago?
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:19 am Reply with quote
I went with these five:

Fantastic Children
Bunny Drop
Toradora!
Azumanga Daioh
Princess Jellyfish

That was such a hard question.

willag wrote:

Same here. There are a lot of shows like that out there, like Wandering Son and Hanasaku Iroha (I honestly have no idea why these still haven't been licensed).
potatochobit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
Kannagi was my #1 and K-on #2

they didn't ask what I would like released this time
because I was gonna type BEN-TO in caps lol
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
I found that first DVD I bought question hard also. I've been buying since VHS days. I shifted to DVD as soon as I could. I have no idea what the first purchase was. Anyone know what was the first anime to come out on DVD?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4