• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Who likest to Write Fanfics?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeEnthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:50 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'll move it if you want.

I'm curious who likes to write Fanfics? I see so many artists, but so few writers. Not suprising afterall Anime is a visual medium, So anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Hideyuki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I do actually Anime smile;;

I don't write a lot, infact I've stopped working on one (that I rather liked working on too), but they're just generally fun to play around with the characters. I did a couple shorts based on Samurai Champloo..... those where fun Anime smile
Hideyuki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
That was more complicated to read than it needed to be. You also don't seem to know what you're talking about -_-.

Some people like fanfics, some don't, so it's just kind of a whatever thing.

I personally like comedy fanfics. Anime hyper
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
AnimeEnthusiast wrote:
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'll move it if you want.

I'm curious who likes to write Fanfics? I see so many artists, but so few writers. Not suprising afterall Anime is a visual medium, So anyone?

That's why they create their own manga or doushijhi.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Only GI Joe/Transformers slash fanfics.

Cobra totally gets it on with Optimus Prime.
Hideyuki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, I want to read some of that.

Hoe does a giant robot and a little human.... thing, get it on pray tell? Exaust pipe and umm.... whatever the equivolent to a wang is on a truck?
camelot187757

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
http://www.fanfiction.net/

Their are tons of anime fanfics there as well as american cartoons including the lesser known animes and what not.
Even better they have their own anime section.
If you want my opinion the Escaflowne fanfics are they best from what I've read.
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:47 pm Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
Only GI Joe/Transformers slash fanfics.

Cobra totally gets it on with Optimus Prime.

HOT! Wink Nothing defines "bishounen" like Optimus Prime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mexicanime86

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually working on a Rurouni Kenshin fic, a back story of Kamatari. Even though I'm not a big fan of shounen-ai, Kamatari's just a fun character to write about, so why not?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Hideyuki wrote:
Sweet, I want to read some of that.

Hoe does a giant robot and a little human.... thing, get it on pray tell? Exaust pipe and umm.... whatever the equivolent to a wang is on a truck?

The image will haunt my dreams forever. Thanks.

Anyway a friend of mine writes TONS of fanfics as well as hosts her own site at dreamersisle.com. I edit her work, unfortunately most of it is Gundam Wing . . . and highly yaoi *sounds of heaving in the background*.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Meh, I like using fanfiction to practice other genres with someone else's characters, but otherwise I think it's a waste of time. I recently did an Inu-Yasha parody called "A Day in the Life of Naraku," but that's the only recent one.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I kind of do, or did. Who knows, I might start MSTing again someday. It depends if I find fanfic that needs a good riffing, although... *Makes a mental note about Joshua's GI Joe/Transformer fanfic.*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Angel_Renegade_Mage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:07 am Reply with quote
sure do love a fanfic... provided if it's written well... did a few fanfics one time, but i had to end up deleting the whole lot because very little people were reading it...
Ryuji Dicey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I like fanfiction and I do like to write it but right now, I'm wrapped up in my original stories. I still read fanfiction from time to time. Right now, I'm an avid fan of the author Legend Maker and her Teen Titan fics (She's amazing).

The problem with fanfiction seems to be you have to wade through a mountain of s*** to find some really good ones. And Fanfcition.net is starting to get runned down.

In one day, I had 7 stories removed...

7...WTF?!?!

The first 4 was because they where is screenplay format. Now, some might not know this but FF.net banned Screenplay Format as a way to prevent MSTing of other authors work. I was planning to take them down and resubmit them the normal way but I just didn't get around to it. But the others 3 where for some trumpted up "Poor Grammar" problems. The thing that annoys me the most is that they allowed screenplay all the time but suddenly it was like "Sorry, after 4 years of letting you do this, your not allowed anymore."

Before that, they banned NC-17 fics which they used to have a lot of. The reason for this? (This is strictly hear-say, so I'm not sure of the accuracy).

When I went to Katsucon 11, I went to a Yaoi Panel and the Panelist said that the site got in trouble when a kid clicked on an adult Harry Potter Fic. The mother threatened to sue or something so they pulled the plug.

After that, they added more and more bans. I guess this is suppossed to be some hakneyed way of cutting out all the crappy writing that floods into their servers but to no avil. I am still swarmed with terrible writing.

I've decided to avoid anymore problems to pack up and move everything to my new account at (www.Ficwad.com)

Sorry for my rant but I just got all those notices today and I'm still quite mad.
Jake3DTrains

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I like to read fanfictions from time to time, because there are times when I find a fan's visions of a certain one anime or game series very intriguing - sometimes even moreso than the original work. I wrote a few fanfictions in the recent past even, but I found that they were difficult to maintain in quality, because.. to be blunt they're not my creation. I cannot determine the characters just because I want to; even if I happen to lable my story as an "alternative universe"... there are still guidelines I have to follow, and that's to not overblow proportions. This includes adding of Mary-Sues, horribly warped out-of-character personalities of existing characters, impossible plot twists... and just about anything that could disrupt the nature of the original franchise. And I have done a few tame out-of-character tactics before... but on a couple of occasions they did not work well.

I later switched to original full-length stories, and needless to say I have much more freedom in them. I can develop my own universe... my own characters... without the concern of somebody coming up to me and insisting that these in-story personas are outofcharacter or are mere just there to fulfill my personal desires for a franchise that doesn't belong to me. The only criticisms I have to face range from grammar, writing styles, plausibility, etc. ... Criticisms that are credible to that work alone, rather than the need to compare that story to the franchise it was based off of. Not to say that fanfictions are bad - as I pointed out above I am able to enjoy them commonly... but rather, they are not within my preference of writing. Still, to me, fanfictions are more difficult to write, jor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2