• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Madoka Magica Film Strip Auctioned for US$8,300+

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

On the contrary, they recently released a huge set of production sketches, storyboards, etc. in the form of several giant hardcover books. One for episodes 1-3. One for episodes 4-6. One for episodes 7-9. One for episode 10 ALONE (including some of the stuff they cut out). And then one for episodes 11-12. I've seen them (too expensive to buy and ship alone) and looked through the episode 10 one. Between previous production books and these new ones, they barely have anything left to show us about the original anime...

I'm talking about actual production artwork, not the reprints that you would find in books Smile
These are the actual sheets of paper that were drawn by production artists, and then scanned into the computer for coloring and animation purposes. These are usually sold on Japanese auction sites, and depending on the scene and anime, can sell for hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. A lot of people, including myself, collect these pieces of artwork, and many of us display them online at places like Rubberslug.

A 30 minute episode usually has around 250-310 cuts (sequences), and the sketches for those could easily be enough for a book. A cut is usually defined by the number of backgrounds used, and each cut consists of anywhere from one to a couple hundred sketches (bank sequences). Some of my Kobato backgrounds are numbered into the 330s, so if you average every sequence as having 10 individual drawings, that's 3300 sketches for that episode alone.

...You have background cuts from Kobato? The Madhouse anime based on CLAMP's work? ._.
My jealousy is impossible to quantify right now.

But yeah. That makes sense. These things take so much time and money to create. I kinda feel bad for the artists who do a lot of the work and only get so much money for each thing they do... It's considered "slave work" in Japan, even more so for an individual than being in charge of a manga.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
Are they really "snuggling" or simply quasi-Eskimo kissing? It's hard to tell just from the images given.

dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:23 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the .gif, they're just so adorable together. What a cute couple.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
...You have background cuts from Kobato? The Madhouse anime based on CLAMP's work? ._.

Yup, that Kobato. I don't own all of them though, just around 550 or so. The majority of my backgrounds come from either episode 7 or 19 (my personal fave) While most of them came with copy layouts, a good portion of them came with partial copy layouts (some original artwork) or an original layout. There are some episodes, like ep 23, where I haven't seen any artwork. And like other Madhouse productions, Kobato's artwork was farmed out to a few other studios.

I'm really behind in scanning my Kobato stuff, but what few I have scanned are online here - http://cutiebunny.rubberslug.com/gallery/master_query.asp?SeriesID=44825

I also have an original sketch of Kobato & Noelle from Tenshi Ni Narumon drawn by the Kobato character designer, in that same gallery as well.

It's always nice to find another Kobato fan. I feel that series doesn't get the love it deserves. Very Happy

I agree with you about how little the underling animators are appreciated. If you're interested in collecting production artwork, send me a PM and I'll point you to some sites where you can buy it. There is a lot of artwork out there, still, and a lot of it is very reasonably priced.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Thank you for the .gif, they're just so adorable together. What a cute couple.

That's one of two major adorable parts of the opening video. The other part being right before it, with animated clips of Madoka as an infant, learning to walk, being with her newborn brother, and just before the series, etc.... Personally, while I would take these adorable snuggling strips above the ones I got... I think I might like a growing-up-Madoka one more. Seriously. It is ADORABLE. Never expected to see anything like it in the movies, but I'm glad they put it in. Just seeing her growing up with her family puts her background and character into perspective. And, again, it is ADORABLE. I can't emphasize enough. It. Is. ADORABLE...!!!

@cutiebunny: I replied in a PM to not detract the topic here. Thanks for all that~ =3
Though I just thought about it and maybe the reason they don't have a lot of production sketches out for Madoka is because they are/were still using them for these movies. Not all of them, but enough of them.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:06 pm Reply with quote
better than people who paid millions for stamp or baseball card
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
better than people who paid millions for stamp or baseball card

I don't get this. Its their money, they can pay what they want for it.

Is this some sort of bizarre reverse-elitism or something?

As for the people saying it was "robbery", it was a goddamn AUCTION. You know how those things work, right?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I have a film strip from Brave Story. Which doesn't even have the main characters in and is at night so doesn't come out very well. I'd be lucky to get a fiver for it.

I have sets of Kiddy Grade settei and one pack of Kiddy GiRL-and genga, although most likely copies if not copies of copies other than possibly the odd sheet with pencil marks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Guess you're not that much of a Madoka fan then...

I do like Madoka enough to save enough money to purchase the three Box Sets and, maybe, the three films that Aniplex might release.
But to pay that much money for one piece of film that was a gift for those who saw the movie? Then, no, I'm not.

@ dormcat: Diamond jewelry? Yes, to me they are nothing more than expensive, shiny, pretty rocks.
Diamonds for industrial, practical uses? No, those are actually important.

@kazenoyume: Yes, I understand that everyone can use their money for whatever they want. But the price for this product just seems unreasonably high. If people don't mind paying that much for Homura and Madoka snuggling, then they might as well try to get the autographs of the entire staff while they're at it.

@Fencedude5609: I've seen the series.
I already know what they had to go through. I'm not trying to be some heartless jerk saying that no one should buy this. I'm saying that, Madoka or not, it's ridiculous that someone bids that high for one strip of film. For the whole film reel? It might be more expensive than $8300+ but I can understand that.

So, pardon me for my frugal money habits.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:

@Fencedude5609: I've seen the series.
I already know what they had to go through. I'm not trying to be some heartless jerk saying that no one should buy this. I'm saying that, Madoka or not, it's ridiculous that someone bids that high for one strip of film. For the whole film reel? It might be more expensive than $8300+ but I can understand that.

So, pardon me for my frugal money habits.

NO ONE IS SUGGESTING YOU SHOULD PAY THAT MUCH FOR IT

Christ.

The fact that one person bought one strip of film for a huge amount does not mean that everyone should, or that its a normal thing!

Stop acting like this is some actual product being sold for 8 thousand dollars. Its an auction dammit. If the person wanted it that much, well, more power to them.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how much this scene by itself is seen as TOTAL YURI among American otaku versus Japanese otaku. From the words of a definite probably-American otaku and huge Madoka fan that was in Japan for the movies, who did a comprehensive (and obviously "spoiler"-filled) comparison & contrast between the film and the TV series...

"Yui" wrote:
This type of behavior is common between friends in Japan, and is nothing sexual.

Interesting. Very cute and "D'aw" inducing, nonetheless-- albeit it's the same vibe of "D'aw" that I get from watching a couple kittens play with each other in a video or babies/little kids do cute innocuous things (that's not so strange, is it?). Though to kinda echo Juno016's sentiments, I think I would be most D'aw-struck by the scenes of Madoka herself growing up.

Last edited by Animerican14 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dan9999

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
And the obsessive breed of hardcore fans of this era attack once more, no wonder anime is infested with content targeted exclusively to milk them to death right Fencedude5609 and company!! Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
And the obsessive breed of hardcore fans of this era attack once more, no wonder anime is infested with content targeted exclusively to milk them to death right Fencedude5609 and company!! Laughing

I doubt these kinds of fans didn't exist in precious, infallible, no-cute-girls 80s.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
I wonder how much this scene by itself is seen as TOTAL YURI among American otaku versus Japanese otaku. From the words of a definite probably-American otaku and huge Madoka fan that was in Japan for the movies, who did a comprehensive (and obviously "spoiler"-filled) comparison & contrast between the film and the TV series...

"Yui" wrote:
This type of behavior is common between friends in Japan, and is nothing sexual.

Interesting. Very cute and "D'aw" inducing, nonetheless-- albeit it's the same vibe of "D'aw" that I get from watching a couple kittens play with each other in a video or babies/little kids do cute innocuous things (that's not so strange, is it?). Though to kinda echo Juno016's sentiments, I think I would be most D'aw-struck by the scenes of Madoka herself growing up.

Yui knows a bit more than me about Japanese friendship, but I also know that the crew intended to put those two characters on the border of "best friends" and "yuri friends," leaving the rest to our imagination. It surely wouldn't be surprising for friends to do that with each other, but the calm playfulness of that entire few-second scene could be taken in a more romantic light, even in Japan. Either way, if there's anything to get out of it, it's "They're comfortable and quite happy with rubbing their cheeks against each other." Whether or not it's "yuri" doesn't matter as long as those feelings come across to us, the audience. =3
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Yup, that Kobato. I don't own all of them though, just around 550 or so. The majority of my backgrounds come from either episode 7 or 19 (my personal fave) While most of them came with copy layouts, a good portion of them came with partial copy layouts (some original artwork) or an original layout. There are some episodes, like ep 23, where I haven't seen any artwork. And like other Madhouse productions, Kobato's artwork was farmed out to a few other studios.

I'm really behind in scanning my Kobato stuff, but what few I have scanned are online here - http://cutiebunny.rubberslug.com/gallery/master_query.asp?SeriesID=44825

You sure have a lot of layout drawings.

Unless I know which animator or painter drew which scene, I don't get tempted its prettiness. Beauty is eyes of beholder, right? I try to maintain curatorial knowledge when buying anime production drawings. I don't think it's worth spending tens, hundreds or thousands of dollars on an artwork which I can't feel some kind of connection with artist.

Besides, it's impossible to reconstruct animatics (Called "pencil test" in industry term) when drawings are scattered to four corners of the world.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3