• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto and other CN animes on New York Times

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:06 pm Reply with quote
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/15/arts/television/15hale.html

Nice article. Naruto seems to be getting more popular. I wonder if the movies will be shown in theaters just like the Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh movies.

Quote:
"Samurai Champloo" is about a ninja in training.

I just noticed this. This is pretty funny.
2Real

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:17 pm Reply with quote
It is funny they mention ANN in like the 2nd paragraph.

Aprently, CTN's AS is becoming a big hit along with Tunami. Prehaps now people won't be so quick to judge these "cartoons". All in all I felt that was worth rading. It looks like, from that articel, that the difference in "adult" and "childrens" anime is becoming more defiened. Having the New York Times being able to diferenciate between Naruto and Samurai Champloon proves to me that not everyone in the the world is an idiot.

In reference to them talking about the shows, I doubt it they have ever realy watched them. Even so they articel can be informing to an uninforemed, or underinformed, public about these shows. Not about the shows but how and what they can portray.

And congradulations on hitting the Times ANN.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Give a few more years and we may even get nation wide anime movies in theaters. Looks like anime is gettin some good steam goin.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, while toonami's animes are getting great ratings, AS's animes aren't.
2Real

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, I wounder if that has to do with such show, ones I personaly hate, like 12oz Mouse and Squid-billies.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:

Nice article. Naruto seems to be getting more popular. I wonder if the movies will be shown in theaters just like the Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh movies.

Quote:

He probably meant Naruto, but any press is good press.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Naruto's getting great ratings by Cartoon Network standards, but, most weeks, Naruto isn't even listed on the weekly overall top 30 lists with any of the non-adult demographic splits listed on Media Life Magazine's website. (A couple of times in September, it scratched the bottom of the tweens and young teens list, but that was back when most TV shows were still in reruns.)

It's not to say that Naruto isn't doing "well" as defined by CN press releases, but CN has slid a lot in the ratings from the Powerpuff Girls era. Back in Dragonball Z's heyday, it had upwards of 1.7 million households tuned in at its peak, according to old CN press releases, while Naruto, according to all publically-available ratings data I've seen, is doing maybe about half that at best at the present time.

The other bright spot in the ratings for CN is Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, which'll probably be their new cross-demographic anchor, which could potentially build the audience for other shows, including the anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
Unfortunately, while toonami's animes are getting great ratings, AS's animes aren't.

That probably has to do with their (literal) midnight hours.
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Animefan16 wrote:

Quote:

He probably meant Naruto, but any press is good press.

Yeah, I know. I just thought it was a funny typo.
emory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:30 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
It's not to say that Naruto isn't doing "well" as defined by CN press releases, but CN has slid a lot in the ratings from the Powerpuff Girls era. Back in Dragonball Z's heyday, it had upwards of 1.7 million households tuned in at its peak, according to old CN press releases, while Naruto, according to all publically-available ratings data I've seen, is doing maybe about half that at best at the present time.

DBZ did a lot better than 1.7. It usually hovered between 2 and 2.3 million homes during its weekday Toonami days, which is excellent. Right now Naruto jumps around 1.5-1.7. That data is only for September thru November though. I'm waiting to see how the marathon did.
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:58 am Reply with quote
Shame, though, that they couldn't mention the pillows when talking about "FLCL." That's what practically made the anime "brilliantly eclectic".
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:09 am Reply with quote
That article was really good. It's great to see an article that reports so positively about anime's successes, especially when it takes the unique stance that anime is better than American cartoons. Most of these types of articles are usually either indifferent to anime as a whole or just treat it like some foreign oddball niche market that's an amusing way to kill some time but not anything really wowing, outside of Miyazaki-san. I hope this will help lead to more publcitity for anime, either that or that American cartoons will start to get better writers at least.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Animefan16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:32 am Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

DBZ did a lot better than 1.7. It usually hovered between 2 and 2.3 million homes during its weekday Toonami days, which is excellent. Right now Naruto jumps around 1.5-1.7. That data is only for September thru November though. I'm waiting to see how the marathon did.

A lot of people were out celebrating during New Years so I doubt the ratings are high.
NinjaJedi007

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:52 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see anime being exposed a bit more. I like how it mentioned that not everything is like Pokemon and other shows of that nature. More people need to see what anime is really about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
emory wrote:

The numbers I've seen for Naruto are lower than that, seemingly around maybe 900000 if you remove the duplication when you add up the demographic splits (which requires a great deal of estimation because there's so much overlap, especially with boys 9-11).

People with access to ALL the numbers will have a clearer picture, but CN's annual "Upfront" ratings report next month will give the rest of us a much better idea how well it's doing overall. ("Upfront" is kind of a misnomer, since they really only talk about what's doing well.)

Animefan16 wrote:

A lot of people were out celebrating during New Years so I doubt the ratings are high.

Yeah, if there was anything about the marathon's ratings worth shouting about, CN would have issued a press release at TurnerInfo.com's CN/AS press release page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1