• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do Europeans keep up with anime?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lachesis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm based in the UK, and am currently into about three shows at the moment - there's Blood+, Trinity Blood and Bleach.

Now I know there's literally hundreds of fansubs out there, because I have to download them for the latest series - I see a lot of people asking if others are watching these shows on TV; are these all primarily based in the East, or do some Western cable channels show them as well?

I guess it's a moot point anyway as even if they were aired they wouldn't be subbed or dubbed..? I find it hard that there's some great shows that if they were on DVD I'd be itching to start collecting but I have to do with fansubs which are illegal.....I don't like getting them (who likes waiting for d/l's anyway?), but I see no other alternative apart from waiting and hoping they will get licensed some time soon.

I'm slowly building my anime collection up but you can only afford so much per month out of your salary, and would love to catch some episodes on TV - I'm just curious as to how many people on here keep up-to-date with anime etc.

One last question, it looks like a lot of anime is aired in Japan (I would not know though; having never been or asked), shows like Blood+ are these aired about 6pm i.e. like the simpsons slot, or a mature time like 9pm onwards etc....
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:23 pm Reply with quote
i know exactly what u mean!

i come from the east of england and find it exstremely hard to find any anime on tv at all. there used to be a channel called cnx which in my opinion was the greatest channel ever invented it mixed anime such as (cowboy bebop, outlaw star, spawn) with cartoon comedy (such as aqua teen hunger force) with classic tv drama series (kung fu with david carradine) and once every night they would show a fantastic martial arts film like way of the dragon. it was a great station because it was the only one. however i have recently heard from a friend that if u have digital mainly sky, then on a channel called Rapture which i believe is normaly an exsteme sports channel. they show on tues and thurs anime at 8 o'clock this i was told includes tri gun, samurai champloo and others. i have yet to check this out so it could be all false but i really really hope it isnt.

anyway i hope u find something cause i know how it feels. i myself just end up buying the dvds and have forked out way to much money.

if u hear anything then can u give me call.

thanks and good luck Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
As for time slots, I think many of them air in "shinya" (深夜) or latenight, like 12 AM - 2 AM--if you watch the announcements on fansubs, they will often talk about time slots in this range. Some of the popular ones air at 7:00 or so (like Bleach and Naruto), and I know that Full Moon wo Sagashite aired at 7:30 AM on Saturdays (you can see at least the time on one fansub version).

I've heard some Europeans say that it can be cheaper to import R1 discs and "somehow" get multiregion DVD playing capability, but I suppose this varies with different series and countries. But other than that, I would guess that it's downloading fansubs or DVD rips.

EDIT:
As far as "keeping up" with anime, I will admit that it's easier to do in the U.S. --I go off DVD trailers, conversations with people at anime club about various shows, and I read various lengthy forums posts about "favorite anime" or "saddest anime" or "cutest anime" or "most bad-ass anime", or any other general threads where people talk about appealing shows. I also watch the various major fansub torrent sites, and when I see new stuff coming down the pipeline, I seek out other information. Some shows I've gotten into just because they had been subbed or were being subbed by fansub groups that I like.

That's how I learn about / keep up with anime, and I don't think I've ever made a recommendation thread in any forums to look for opinions, aside from a few threads about specific shows that I was considering.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dagger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I usually scout on sites and messageboards for animes that I could like. And then I download fansubs.

Most of the dubs that are native to some countries are rather poor.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I live the UK, and I have my anime supplied from the USA, i.e. DVDs.
If I buy from my country, it would cost around 40-100% more than the USA imports. E.g. $35 in the UK, as opposed to $18-$20 in the USA (per disc).

I read reviews online, watch anime trailers on DVDs, read descriptions and view pictures of the series on the internet, and then if it interests me, I'd order it online.

Then there are the several fansubs I obtain which are not licensed.

If you're trying to find a title which is already licensed, don't find it online and download it. Don't settle for second-best, or watching sleezy fansubs (of licensed titles) or DVD rips on your tiny PC monitor or what have you.
Go for the genuine DVD experience on your large TV.

Sorry for that off-topic paragraph there.
So yeah, reviews, pictures, trailers, DVDs from online orders, and some fansubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
Kusanagi-Kei wrote:
I live the UK, and I have my anime supplied from the USA, i.e. DVDs. If I buy from my country, it would cost around 40-100% more than the USA imports. E.g. $35 in the UK, as opposed to $18-$20 in the USA (per disc).

That bites. UK citizens seem to get screwed on so many things. I'm not even talking about VAT, just the base prices. You folks pay the same high prices a US citizen might have to pay in Hawaii. Maybe it's the island charge? Wink

Kusanagi-Kei wrote:
Don't settle for second-best, or watching sleezy fansubs (of licensed titles) or DVD rips on your tiny PC monitor or what have you.

Computer monitors have gotten larger recently. In fact, I'm actually typing this on a 26" LCD monitor right now. I tend to avoid fansubs not because they look bad, but because I prefer to support anime with real cash. Even just renting most of my anime is more supportive than simply bumming it off someone else. Netflix probably buys more anime than just about anyone, possibly thanks to early-renters like me who had most of their early anime in our mailboxes.
Qvalster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
I live in europe Sweden, and if I should watch anime on TV, I would only be able to watch like one serie now...
On Carton Network now they show Naruto, and they are on episode 15 or something..
Wow ! I just download my anime all the time with torrent xD
Have just watched the newest episode of Naruto, ep166

So, in europe you dont buy anime if you dont know its realy realy good !
I have bought some anime movie, Mononoke Hime, Akira, Robotech, X The Movie, Gundam SEED...

In europe we download first, watch, buy after Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:20 am Reply with quote
I never download anything that is a bootleg, or fansub. I get all the information I need either here at ANN, or here. This one has a person in Japan who regularly sends in reports of what's new and hot on the Japanese tele and what to keep an eye out for in future. The young are so impatient. I rent lots of titles and only purchase thoses I like best and I've yet to catch up with all that is now available in the UK. So by that time I'm sure that these new productions now only on Japanese tele will be available dubbed here in the UK like the ones I'm watching now. One gets no gongs for being the first kid in the UK to have seen a title by fansubs, or bootlegs and boosting about it only proves what a prat you really are. Wink
Urb'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:34 am Reply with quote
I get quite alot of fansubs, and recently bought a few titles because they were at a 'decent' price..

The pricing is the main issue i have in UK. and so i will aquire fansubs before i even consider buying..
Anime is the most expensive dvd's you can buy, for one volume/dvd with 4 episodes on, your paying more than a 1st day release of a new hollywood blockbuster.. this really puts many of us off buying it imo, because you have to buy the whole series, its an expensive commitment if they dont come in a box set at a price that is comparable to other TV/film box sets..
Full metal Panic Region 1 = £25
Full metal Panic Region 2 = £54
I would never consider buying such a series on a "will i like it" coz £54 is ALOT for a series..
If i wanted to watch Bleach anime, it would cost me £238.89(up until EP64)(when its released) thats almost a months mortage for me. I wont buy bootlegs though.

Fansub releases and checking on here about them, is the only way i will know about new series.. and if i like it, im more inclined to buy it than going on a simple review, because anime you can either love a series or hate it, i know many people who loved Air, and i know many people who hated it. its an expensive risk because things can always change halfway thru a series, for better or for worse..
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:37 am Reply with quote
Urb' wrote:

The pricing is the main issue i have in UK. and so i will aquire fansubs before i even consider buying..
That's just bollox. As high as it is in the UK it's still a darn side cheaper than what the average Japanese would pay, and we get more on a disc as well so there's no comparison there. For £10 a month you can get 6 to 8 discs a month sent to your house, so you rent the series and find out that way if it's any good, or not, at least the originator still gets his part of the deal. Same with a long series, renting is far cheaper than owning unless you just have to have that on your shelf as a trophy of some sorts. You can always buy it when you're not so strapped for cash should that time come. It should still be available at that time maybe even cheaper. There is no acceptable excuss for fansubs, not anst impatients, or lame bragging rights. But I digress.
Urb'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:25 am Reply with quote
Ok heres my opinion, Fansubs arnt that great, the quality isnt that good always and the subs are ok.. If i was to rent a "finished" product,(the originator only gets part cost of the sale price to the rental place and not to each individual rental...) its like closure to me, I've seen it, move on..
if i dont take that route, I purchase the boxset instead.. its better for the originator, because if 3 people do this, they get more money from the boxset, than from the sale of the 1 dvd to the rental place where 15 people watch it. more people would be tempted nowadays to copy a rental dvd, than to buy a fansub bootleg, or settle for poor quality fansubs they did themselves, theres a certain amount of pride in having a anime collection, if not for fansubs, i wouldnt have been remotely interested in anime & none of the studios wouldnt have got a penny from me. no-one but the studio profited from that one fansub that got me hooked.
Were not talking about TV shows that we see day to day, or a film with celebrity actors we see in newpapers.
Anime is in a different league people & rarely take a risk to try something new(especially if it costs) or you dont need it.
Anime needs various ways to advertise and express itself, it needs to branch out in numerous ways to entice people into watching it. any way that can support that imo is beneficial to the studios. Half the people I know have never watched an Anime, and they wont, unless I lend them a dvd(which in itself is illegal)

If i purchase either of the 2 examples i listed, £25 compared to £54, would the originator get any more money? where is that £29 extra going(that would pay for GITS Box set) this price difference is what im talking about.

Last edited by Urb' on Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:52 am Reply with quote
Urb' wrote:
Ok heres my opinion, Fansubs arnt that great, the quality isnt that good always and the subs are ok.. If i was to rent a "finished" product,(the originator only gets part cost of the sale price to the rental place and not to each individual rental...) its like closure to me, I've seen it, move on..(other people would probably copy the dvd's or something), if i don't take that route, I purchase the boxset instead.. its better for the originator, because if 3 people do this, they get more money than from the sale of the 1 dvd to the rental place.

If i purchase either of the 2 examples i listed, £25 compared to £54, would the originator get any more money? where is that £29 extra going(that would pay for GITS Box set)
You miss the point entirely. The originator gets his share whether his disc is rented or not because the rental shop has to purchase the discs the same way anyone else does. After that it is up to the rental shop to get his share by the ammount of rental orders he gets. The originator then gets a percentage of that as well. I 'm not arguing about the cost of Region 1 to Region 2. That's importing. If you want to import legit R1's and be able to get them cheaper that way, good on ya mate. But either way the originator gets his share. A fansub of the samething is nothing more than a bootleg given away for free. That's not going to give the originator one yen for his effort.
Urb'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:59 am Reply with quote
edited the above..^^

The Rental Place i knew, payed 1 price for the DVD, and the subsequent rentals are in the kitty of the store. this is why rental DVD's are more expensive to buy for the rental place.. they pay £5-10 more than highstreet i think..

you just have to look at this topic
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12511&start=210
and realise the same opportunities dont exist nowadays for everyone in uk, because anime is not shown on terestrial tv.. certainly not the anime that would get people hooked.. if i had to go by Yu-Gisomething, i would be put off anime for life.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:21 am Reply with quote
Urb' wrote:
edited the above..^^

The Rental Place i knew, payed 1 price for the DVD, and the subsequent rentals are in the kitty of the store. this is why rental DVD's are more expensive to buy for the rental place.. they pay £5-10 more than highstreet i think..
The above it still bollox. Wink Not all rental shops are the same but respectable ones will have to pay a royalty for evey time a disc is taken out. These things are kept on record for that reason. They pay the higher price because they get permission to lease it to anyone afterwards. The operative word there was "permission". If you were to do the same you would be breaking the copyright laws because you only purchased the permission to view it in your home. That's all explained at the head of any disc, or VHS. So what if it's not on Terrestrial TV in the UK? You can still rent, or buy what you want legally.
Urb'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote
Why would i rent or buy a kids cartoon?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2