• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is it the end?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ro-zu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Okay, Full Metal Panic TSR seemed, to me, to have a very open ending. Is this the end or are they going to make another one as well?
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
Many anime series will have endings that feel open or incomplete. Most of these series will never have sequels, so you probably don't want ot get your hopes up. There is still quite a bit of material from the novels that hasn't been animated yet. While I would definitely like to see Dancing Very Merry Christmas and Continuing On My Own and any subsequent novels animated, I won't count on it happening. But if something will happen, it should be announced within the next year or two, but not anytime very soon. It's still too early after TSR.

Last edited by one3rd on Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Ro-zu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:58 am Reply with quote
Okay. Thank you.
2Real

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:25 am Reply with quote
Basicly I'm agreing with One#rd, His/Her views are prety much to the point.

I have watched all 3 FMP series (the 3rd is Full Metal Panic: Fumuffu). While Fumuffu has realy nothing to do with the series it's self it is basicly a filler made into a series. The posabilities of a 3rd stage, or a sequle to The Second Raid, is posable, that dosent mean it will happen. The only thing i can say is start looking for other series, shows, to watch and keep track of.

Although it would be nice to see a new FMP, the reality is what is left to tell. If they do continue it on would it just lose its' content and become overly boring, a repeat, or prehaps just a flop in every way posable. that is something you have to look at aswell. These are just my oppinions, as stated above, and this as well.If the show did air a new series of FMP, i don';t know too much about this best to consolt a manga read on this topic, would it follow the manga? Would the show end up being too drawn out, such as DBZ was, in my oppinion, or would it actuly be a good idea? Would the manga have potential of being made into another series, as far as content and story gose. Also, would the companies that produce the show benifit from making another FMP series, or would most fiewers look at is like i stated befor, are they struguling to make profit or this show?

*these are just my oppinions on this I'm not actuly asking these questions because I belive them to be retoical, I don;t expect an ancer. Although it is posable for a new series of FMP to premier that is something we, anyone, can realy predict at this time because the company that produces the show has made no coments on this subject. If you would like to see a continuation of FMP the only thing i can sujest is to write an email to the producers/company of the show and request it with legitamet resoning as to why they should make another series. If you are looking for the website of the company that made FMP Personal Mesage (PM) me and I can get it for you. other then that, I don;t know what to tell you, sorry.

*side note: my Email is: [email protected]

This is incase you wish to get in contact with me other then this Forum. Later!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:54 am Reply with quote
2Real wrote:
I have watched all 3 FMP series (the 3rd is Full Metal Panic: Fumuffu).

No, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu was the second series created, especially considering that the first DVD of Fumoffu was released in R1 before TSR started to air.

Will there be a sequel? I'd say it's a strong possibility, just keep watching ANN's news page and the normal fansub lines of communication, because you know that any 4th series will be picked up by about 6-7 groups.
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:11 am Reply with quote
2Real wrote:
Although it would be nice to see a new FMP, the reality is what is left to tell. If they do continue it on would it just lose its' content and become overly boring, a repeat, or prehaps just a flop in every way posable.

I can't express how wrong you are here. Starting with TSR, the story only gets more intense. In the Continuing On My Own novel, all of the progress made in TSR gets turned upside down. spoiler[Amalgam makes their big move to take down Mithril and to capture Chidori.] TSR is only the tip of the iceberg. Shows like DBZ are long and drawn out because nothing changes. New super-powered villian comes to destroy everything. Heroes super-power-up to defeat villian. Rinse and repeat. I'm really excited to see where FMP is going and how things will end. Hopefully, we'll all be able to see it animated.
daristar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I think there's quite a bit more to tell, without becoming a rinse/repeat cycle of new super bad guys (ala DBZ).

I can always hope for more anyway and it does give me time to catch up with other series.
The wreckoning

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:04 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
I can't express how wrong you are here.

I echo those sentiments. There are quite a few novels still to be animated (and I believe more novels still to written and published) so I can't see how they would run out of material to base the animation upon.
Sure you can question the quality of the material it is based upon, but the animators won't have to resort to 'filler' arcs to fill out the length of a series. In fact in some part TSR seemed rather rushed.

I too am hopeful that all the subsequent novels will be animated and licensed *looking at you ADV*!!!
Vortextk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:52 am Reply with quote
I just finished FMP and Fumoffu, and after reading enough about the show, I am TOTALLY hoping the company decides to continue animating the novels.

And I was wondering, "animating the novels", does this mean they are actually just books? This isn't manga or anything? And are they available in english? The series has amazed me so far but I'm waiting for the licensing/dub of TSR to watch it. If I enjoy the voices of a dub, I stick with it.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:50 am Reply with quote
daristar wrote:
I think there's quite a bit more to tell, without becoming a rinse/repeat cycle of new super bad guys (ala DBZ).

I can always hope for more anyway and it does give me time to catch up with other series.

The whole "fish out of the water" story is getting stale. I don't know if having more FMP is a good idea.
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:38 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
daristar wrote:

The whole "fish out of the water" story is getting stale. I don't know if having more FMP is a good idea.

spoiler[Don't worry. The fish goes back in the water. Or, more correctly, just when the fish begins to appreciate being out of the water, the water forces its way back to him.]
dirtyharry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:08 am Reply with quote
Good explanation one3rd. Yeah, as been said before, the more open ended the series end is, the more possibility there is for a sequel. Just a ploy to continue the franchise
gamemaster5552

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Many anime series will have endings that feel open or incomplete. Most of these series will never have sequels, so you probably don't want ot get your hopes up. There is still quite a bit of material from the novels that hasn't been animated yet. While I would definitely like to see Dancing Very Merry Christmas and Continuing On My Own and any subsequent novels animated, I won't count on it happening. But if something will happen, it should be announced within the next year or two, but not anytime very soon. It's still too early after TSR.

That is one thing that I dont' like about anime the endings are too open ended. Sometimes I like it sometimes I don't. I don't know yet because that series had 3 seasons of the show which many animes don't have more that one.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:53 am Reply with quote
Because continuation probably depends on popularity. If FMP stopped attracting audience, they'd probably conclude that it's not worth animating and simply leave it as is with the novels. But FMP - TSR was a huge success, at least IMO, so I don't see FMP ending anytime soon. I wouldn't be surprised if they animated ALL of the novels, seeing as how they're so funny yet provides a good story.

Same with Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars. I don't know if it's a novel/manga to begin with but I sure hope it doesn't end with BotS III. There's lots more to be done with that anime and it's far from being "over".
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:07 am Reply with quote
The novels aren't available in English, afaik. There are some translations that you can track down online, but of course, I can't give you the link, because FireFox acted stupid and wouldn't let me start it as the original user, thereby destroying all my bookmarks & other stuff. Oh, and it is against Teh rules, as well Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2