• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I think Yui is the Missingno. of SAO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
But how would they be targets in the first place? If they never leave then no-one can do anything to them.

They have to leave to survive. They need some money for basic food/shelter needs.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
jayrome25 wrote:
i have never scene such hate for one anime other than the usual naruto,one piece bleach fans. Seriously if this is so good why are there so many haters. Cause duh ,this show sucks, Compared to clannad and k-on haters and such theres atleast 80% of people who enjoyed there shows, unlike SAO where half their viewers think this show is terrible.

Welcome to the forum! Here's what facts look like compared to your opinion: Sword Art Online. That doesn't include all of the users that will end up rating it favorably after it ends. SAO is currently ranked #113 out of over 5000. With an average of "Excellent."
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Here's the thing: do they even need shelter and food? Players may feel cold and may feel hunger but can they die from them?

Even if you can die from hunger and cold, in safe zones your health can't go down. So I'd imagine you can't die from hunger or from the elements as long as you remain in a town or city.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Here's the thing: do they even need shelter and food? Players may feel cold and may feel hunger but can they die from them?

Even if you can die from hunger and cold, in safe zones your health can't go down. So I'd imagine you can't die from hunger or from the elements as long as you remain in a town or city.

Well, since people can still feel hunger, depending on just how far the game goes with simulating the effects of starvation, they'd start to suffer pretty badly after a while.
underlock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Do I hear about holes in the mechanics? How about the strongest players dying to a much weaker one just because of a mere poison. Apparently he can solo a giant Minotaur, but not resist a simple paralysing poison.

If we turned this into a drinking game, we'd get to drink all night long.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
@Mad_Scientist:

Well see, this is what I wished the series expanded on. Game mechanics like hunger, temperature and pain are important, especially considering that players are trapped in a game that could actually kill them.

Maybe we'll learn more next episode about how the Army enforces their rule. I sure hope so, because at the moment there's a lot to be explained about how you successfully threaten someone when you can't physically damage them. The only way to do it that we know of is spoiler[sleep P.K.,] and I doubt the Army guys have the nous to pull that off.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
@underlock I can see your point there, but your point itself is flawed. Despite Kuradeel (or whatever his name was) being weaker in combat: what if his apothecary skill was maxed? In reality, do you think a really strong guy wouldn't be afflicted by poison just because the person who poisoned him was physically weaker?

Hunter x Hunter spoiler: spoiler[Uvogin is a perfect example. He was unable to move after being poisoned, despite being ridiculously strong.]

Last edited by Rhyono on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
underlock wrote:
Do I hear about holes in the mechanics? How about the strongest players dying to a much weaker one just because of a mere poison. Apparently he can solo a giant Minotaur, but not resist a simple paralysing poison.

If we turned this into a drinking game, we'd get to drink all night long.

paralysis potions and being able to solo a boss that has lost at least one hp bar with a unique skill only known to him are two entirely different things
underlock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
[...]what if his apothecary skill was maxed?

He didn't make it.

Rhyono wrote:
Hunter x Hunter spoiler: spoiler[Uvogin is a perfect example. He was unable to move after being poisoned, despite being ridiculously strong.]

Perfect. I didn't want to drag this to Hunter x Hunter, but did you notice how much poison they had to use on him? That's right, not a couple of bites.

getchman wrote:
Paralysis potions and being able to solo a boss that has lost at least one HP bar with a unique skill only known to him are two entirely different things.

It's called proportionality.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
sure, but paralysis potions are going to work on everybody, regardless of level or strength. if he had his antidote stone, he could have cured himself, but the Rider lookalike took it, so the only thing he could do was to wait for the effect to wear off.
underlock

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Sure, but paralysis potions are going to work on everybody, regardless of level or strength.

Better be careful then, or else high level players will start dying to level 1 spiders.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
underlock wrote:
Rhyono wrote:
[...]what if his apothecary skill was maxed?

He didn't make it.

Uh, says who? He stated he acquired the technique from Laughing Skull, which strongly implies he did make it, and also possibly that it is a rare technique. Given that we see Laughing Skull associated players use paralysis to try to kill another player in the past, it''s quite possible it's an especially effective method of player killing.

Keep in mind, MMOs don't have perfect balance. Not at all. Often, there are extremely overpowered and broken techniques that have to be fixed by patches... and Sword Art Online has been running for two years with no patches.

There are a lot of things to complain about in SAO, but you seem like you are just pointlessly nitpicking. Is it so shocking that a former member of the most infamous player killing guild in the game would know a good way to player kill a trusting ally? Is it so shocking that after two years, certain effective abilities and techniques were discovered?

Quote:
getchman wrote:
Paralysis potions and being able to solo a boss that has lost at least one HP bar with a unique skill only known to him are two entirely different things.

It's called proportionality.

I'm not totally sure what point you're even trying to make here.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
underlock wrote:
getchman wrote:
Sure, but paralysis potions are going to work on everybody, regardless of level or strength.

Better be careful then, or else high level players will start dying to level 1 spiders.

sure, if the game has spiders that inject people with paralyzing venom that can effect players of all levels and strong enough to incapacitate a player long enough for the spider to chip away at the players hp.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I think Yui is the Missingno. of SAO.
So They wave at old man which changes the current encounter data into their name, and going into the forest which does not have set monster encounters will use their name data which make the girl appear. The next thing they need to do is to feed her candy and see if she turns into a kangaroo dinosaur thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 51 of 274