• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Do you feel that this year's releases were better overall?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:06 am Reply with quote
Do you feel that this year's releases of anime series and movie were better overall?

On the US (R1) side, there were a lot of good releases this year, mostly from Samurai Champloo to FMA to Genshiken. A lot of cool concept and hype behind each show as they were being release in japan that really peak my interested. I think I bought more anime this year than last year and there were a lot of hidden gem like Planetes and Fighting Spirit.

On the japan side, there wasn't a lot of new show I was really intersted in this year--well not as much as before. Probably Speed Grapher and Basilisk were the two main show I thought was great and I'm looking foward to their R1 release next year. The rest like Mai-Otome, Gundam Seed Destiny etc was a dud. Other shows like Shuffle and Karin didn't catch my attention. So I'm probably gonna cut down on buying new shows in 2006, but continue the on-going show I already have.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I want to say it wasn't great but when I look back I remember re/buying a lot of old titles that I really enjoyed when they were re-released (Eva Platinum, Nadesico, Sorcerer Hunters). Not only that but there's also Adult Swim's line up and I did buy a few new titles. I would like to say 2005 was above average simply because it seems like more good titles are much more accessible (i.e. I didn't have to purchase every title I wanted to see...Samurai Champloo is a good example).
Pleroma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the japan side, there wasn't a lot of new show I was really intersted in this year--well not as much as before. Probably Speed Grapher and Basilisk were the two main show I thought was great and I'm looking foward to their R1 release next year. The rest like Mai-Otome, Gundam Seed Destiny etc was a dud. Other shows like Shuffle and Karin didn't catch my attention. So I'm probably gonna cut down on buying new shows in 2006, but continue the on-going show I already have.

Wow, I know this is a matter of opinion, but this year has brought an amazing amount of awsome shows to say it was a poor one. Just this season we have Mai-Otome, (which, I'm sorry, but owns all) Shakugan no Shana (pure cool), Blood+ (just oozes quality) and the fairly amusing Karin and Hell girl. I am also hearing good things about Black cat and Paradise kiss. We also have had Air, Shuffle, Honey&Clover, Suzuka and the hilarious Pani Poni Dash.

This year has OWNED.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
As far as DVDs goes this has been a really good year. I think I bought about 26 series, 9 new titles, and the rest older titles. This was also the first year I started following fansubs so I have nothing to compare it to, but I am enjoying several titles at the moment such as .Bleach, Blood+, Monster, and Shuffle.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gauss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
The year started off fairly well but then the quality releases became few and far between, a letdown from 2004 which was a strong year. However, after months of drought October showed what is meant by the saying when it rains it pours. Basically you can try out any show that began airing that month and chances are you'll like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1