• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NIS America December 2012 Solicitations

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
via TRSI... | Note: there are no anime release planned for November.

TITLE: Umineko WHEN THEY CRY Volume 1 Premium Edition
MSRP: $79.99
RELEASE DATE: December 4, 2012
LENGTH: Approx. 413 mins/18 eps
FORMAT: 2 Blu-ray discs
LANGUAGE: Japanese audio, English subtitles

TITLE: Umineko WHEN THEY CRY Volume 2 Premium Edition
MSRP: $49.99
RELEASE DATE: December 4, 2012
LENGTH: Approx. 191 mins/8 eps
FORMAT: 1 Blu-ray disc
LANGUAGE: Japanese audio, English subtitles
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
Someone's crying somewhere, I know that much. I take it that the single Blu-Ray disk comes free with the bonuses in part 2?

Did anyone there think this one through? "Well, we could make it a single set since we're not adding the DVDs this time?" "No, no, packaging. It's essential to mask price inflation." "But it looks silly..." "Not as silly as your face when it meets my fist."

Put it all in one set, combine the bonuses, charge, I don't know, 99 to 119.99, it's not that hard to come up with these things. I wouldn't buy it anyway but I'd like to see some common sense in this side industry every now and then.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:51 am Reply with quote
@ Animegomaniac - I'm not sure what you're bitching about - except that you seem to bitch about everything. Rolling Eyes Anyway, for people who don't whine about everything, I'll point out that the overall cost of these two sets from TRSI will be $96. Normally, NISA's BD/DVD combo sets go for $52 each which means if NISA had done it's usual 1-13 and 14-26 episode split, you'd be paying $104 instead of $96.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-: You're point about looking at the total cost of the show is valid, but keep in mind this is a BD-only release, the $52-per-set price you're quoting is for BD/DVD combo sets (like Katanagatari) so Umineko isn't really cheaper. The only other BD-only release was Occult Academy at $48 at TRSI, so multiplying that by 2 for a 2-cour show gets $96 which is what they're charging for all of Umineko.

It's a strange breakdown, true, but it's not like NISA is the only one doing multiple sets on initial release-even FUNimation still does that on 2-cour shows as does Sentai Filmworks.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
@OldCharlie - valid point. The 18/8 split is strange insofar as it is not entirely clear why they are doing that way as opposed to the more usual half and half split. However, splitting a 2 cours show into two sets is totally consistent with their usual release strategy. The exception so far is their upcoming Natsume release where, thankfully, they are putting S1 & 2 in the same set, thus we only have to buy two sets to get the first four seasons of that title.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
@Blood- I was under the impression that they split it like that to keep the arcs intact on each set. Of course, this loses some validity since both sets seem to be coming out at the same time so if there's a better reason, I've not heard it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I heard the arc thing, too. My guess is that it is probably true. They wanted to stick to their 2 sets per cours release strategy, but wanted to break it in the story where it made the most sense. I tend to treat the two sets of the same title as a single purchase, but not everybody does.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I guess I can't really understand whining about not getting certain discs because I don't use them after the initial rip anyway, but it really isn't expensive to get a BD player anymore even if you don't have an HDTV to take full advantage of it yet (which would be odd considering how cheap they are.. but if you don't value image quality you don't value it I guess)
WTK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote

Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Looking sharp, I must say. Cool
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
NIS America Online Store listing
Exclusive Bonus Item (while supplies last!)
Quote:
- Umineko WHEN THEY CRY Card Game
Click here to view bonus item

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
*whew* When I saw this thread had a new WTK post in it, I was worried it was a warning that another NISA PE title was going oop.
Judge Of Toyama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Have they said if they are going to put anything in the Umineko - When They Cry Part 2 box to take up the space where the second blu ray case would have fit in like some kind of filler piece or something else extra?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1