• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
False, this is only the case in Japan, globally FF13's numbers are not even that good, even for a game in a franchise that has been built up for decades longer than Mass Effect. Man, even your numbers now are skewed by your anti-west soapboxing. Dear god man, you ever going to step off that soapbox?

You know, despite what you may want to think, pointing out something Japanese performed better than a Western thing doesn't make it a 'anti-west soapbox'. One could easily turn that around into a pro-western soap-box in your case, especially when you don't list a source for this claim but still feel it's enough to to insult people over it.

http://gematsu.com/2011/06/final-fantasy-xiii-shifted-over-6-million-copies

Meanwhile, Mass Effect 3's boasted about half that at 3.5 million shipped.

So yes, 13 out performed any ME game, the original point still stands, which is why it's silly if someone wants Square to copy a less-successful game or company. Maybe they just want FF to be an FPS now, who knows.

Regannator wrote:
I just wanted to let you know, but you'd have more credibility making random numbers up than posting anything from VGChartz. So, those little comparisons of yours are completely worthless.

While VGCHartz is hardly concrete, they do use actual equations and confirmed sales figures to project sales figures, and they usually aren't that far off. Obviously any statement from a company rep would supersede their projections, but it's hardly more accurate to 'make up a random number' as you put it. They actually put some method to their projection estimates. I doubt the average gamer trying to bother with math and averages.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Mass Effect 3's the highest selling one so far, and it boasted about half that at 3.5 million shipped.

So yes, 13 out performed any ME game, the original point still stands, which is why it's silly people want Square to copy a less-successful game.

If you're going to call someone's numbers skewed, it's good to have some evidence when doing so.
"Shipped" is the operative word here. Obviously Keonyn's off about FF13 being a poor seller, but FF13 is also only available physically. Mass Effect has a probably massive number of digital sales that no one outside of EA has any data on, which is what Regannator was talking about. VGChartz can't account for those sales.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Who cares how many games it sold, all that tells me is that you made a game that a lot of people liked.

I have flat out stated that the biggest problem effecting the video game industry is that variety doesn't guarantee sales, sure occasionally you will see something like MineCraft but alot of times you are going to see something like Vanillaware were the developer makes barely any money, despite creating games that have fantastic stories with good drama, solid gameplay and the most unique art in the business.

Thats why the video game industry is swamped with generic shooters all starring men with shaved heads.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
"Shipped" is the operative word here. Obviously Keonyn's off about FF13 being a poor seller, but FF13 is also only available physically. Mass Effect has a probably massive number of digital sales that no one outside of EA has any data on, which is what Regannator was talking about. VGChartz can't account for those sales.

That's debatable. ME is primarily a console game, which always do better on consoles than on PC (and why devs keep jumping ship from PC to console) I doubt it sold even half those numbers on the PC (especially when EA limited it to Origin and not putting it on Steam) EA announced how much money Origin made for them in that year, and it would be less than 3 million copies even if we say every single purchase on Origin for that year was for ME3. Digital sales are unaccounted, sure, but in this instance it's not really a big factor.

Charred Knight wrote:
I have flat out stated that the biggest problem effecting the video game industry is that variety doesn't guarantee sales, sure occasionally you will see something like MineCraft but alot of times you are going to see something like Vanillaware were the developer makes barely any money, despite creating games that have fantastic stories with good drama, solid gameplay and the most unique art in the business

Well Minecraft is just a clone of Infiniminer so calling that variety is a bit questionable, but yes; variety is overrated. Mario and Pokemon sell millions but have essentially been the same game since they started with maybe a new power-up or gimmick thrown in. Doesn't mean Mario isn't fun to play, though. I find 64 far more enjoyable than Sunshine or Galaxy even if their 'waterpack' and 'upside down walking' gimmick is more varied.
Regannator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
While VGCHartz is hardly concrete, they do use actual equations and confirmed sales figures to project sales figures, and they usually aren't that far off.

I can confirm to you 100% that that is certifiable bulls**t - trademarked even.

They can't make estimates based around equations involving variables to which they have absolutely no access to, and all around, aren't allowed to have access to. At the very best, they can ask estimates from retailers. But guess what? More often than not, that's off the press books as well unless the company themselves issues it out. At which point, the whole...erm, point, of VGChartz is completely moot. They'd be nothing more than a sales archive database. But, once again, seeing as that information is confidential more often than not, that will be one godamn tiny database. Ergo, there is only one road: Make random s**t up.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:48 am Reply with quote
Have any of the KH Games after 2 continued the main story?
Kurohei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Have any of the KH Games after 2 continued the main story?
The answer is yes. http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww116/valkyr09/KHTimeline.png This is the timeline.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote
@ SereneChaos

Indeed, I am still surprised that Square Enix still hasn't gotten any manga based worlds involved in Kingdom Hearts because since they've played a big hand in making the Kingdom Hearts series and that they own Shonen Gangan, why haven't they done anything with it since they own both of them?

There's so much possibilities if they included manga-based titles into this series. If any of their popular titles like Fullmetal Alchemist and Soul Eater involved, it would so get more mainstream recognition that it deserves and non-anime fans would be intrigued by them and what better way to show them in than Kingdom Hearts?

Since The World Ends with You is the first non-Final Fantasy/non-Disney title to show up in a Kingdom Hearts game, there's probably hope that more will show up soon.

If Fullmetal Alchemist, Soul Eater, and the Marvel Cinematic Universe were to appear in a future Kingdom Hearts game, what is the famous term? Oh yeah...

TIRED IMAGE MACRO THAT WE'RE ALL SICK OF
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:01 am Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
@ SereneChaos

Indeed, I am still surprised that Square Enix still hasn't gotten any manga based worlds involved in Kingdom Hearts because since they've played a big hand in making the Kingdom Hearts series and that they own Shonen Gangan, why haven't they done anything with it since they own both of them?

There's so much possibilities if they included manga-based titles into this series. If any of their popular titles like Fullmetal Alchemist and Soul Eater involved, it would so get more mainstream recognition that it deserves and non-anime fans would be intrigued by them and what better way to show them in than Kingdom Hearts?

Since The World Ends with You is the first non-Final Fantasy/non-Disney title to show up in a Kingdom Hearts game, there's probably hope that more will show up soon.

If Fullmetal Alchemist, Soul Eater, and the Marvel Cinematic Universe were to appear in a future Kingdom Hearts game, what is the famous term? Oh yeah...

Even though it'd be awesome to see Soul Eater or FMA in KH I just don't want that to happen. It's too late in the game and there's so much going on already. Maybe another series lol.
Magna_Lilly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Myaow wrote:
When is the Kingdom Hearts where they go to, like, The Black Cauldron and Oliver And Company? They've GOT to be running out of generally-well-liked-and-memorable Disney pictures soon, right?

Eventually they'll get desperate and go to Home On The Range and Pocahontas II.

Shocked Good Lord, anything but "Home on the Range"!

KENZICHI wrote:

You thought this game was EASY!?? I was just saying to a friend that I knew no one would complain about the easiness of this game because it wasn't Anime hyper At least for me. This has to be the KH game that I died the most during boss battles. I beat the game at level 34 btw. Next time I play I'll make sure to level up more Anime hyper

LOL well I think it was just me. Most of my friends who've been playing were giving me dirty looks for saying it was easy. Honestly I just tend to have no trouble with things others found difficult (but I usually have trouble with the things most people find easy, so it evens out in a weird way Rolling Eyes) But I know I would not have leveled up that high if I didn't kill every Dream Eater I saw while Treasure hunting. I can't complain too much about difficulty though, I've unlocked Critical now and it does give you an "No EXP" ability right at the start.

Lycosyncer wrote:
@ SereneChaos

Indeed, I am still surprised that Square Enix still hasn't gotten any manga based worlds involved in Kingdom Hearts...

I'd prefer anime in Kingdom Hearts be left to fanfiction...
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Why didn't this review mention the musical score for this game. It's so good. Anime cry

I can't really say I agree with all of this review. I'm just too much of a fan of the series, on the whole, and while it definitely has issues, some of the ones this review pointed out don't ring true for me. Especially with KH3D, I feel like Nomura et al. have really stepped things up a notch. So far the greatest weaknesses I've encountered are the entirely predictable things like uneven incorporation of Disney characters/elements and some godawful voice acting from anyone who isn't named Haley Joel Osment or David Gallagher (or Aaron Spann jesuswhyishesogood). I also don't really like the Dream Eaters, even if I don't hate them (personally, I'd much rather fight alongside Quasimodo, or Neku Sakuraba, or Quorra; the crossover casts feel pretty much irrelevant to me otherwise).

However, I don't see the plot as being "meandering and inscrutable" and the insinuation that this game is somehow filler kind of stings, considering how much DDD moves the plot forward while also tying up a lot of loose ends. It kind of does everything a bridge game is supposed to do; obviously it's not going to give us the end-game, but that's like expecting the final face-off between Harry and Voldemort in The Goblet of Fire. DDD is just one installment in a larger story, and the plot really isn't all that complex or difficult to understand if you just, you know, play all of the games.

I do feel like Dave gave credit where credit is due, though, and I respect their impression of the game and series. Thanks for writing this bit all the same. :3

spoiler[On a side note, I didn't remember how uncomfortable The Hunchback of Notre Dame makes me until I played this game and was reminded of how casually and insensitively the word "gypsy" is tossed around in that film, by everyone. In fact, I think Frollo's characterization in this game is even worse than in the movie with regards to his antiziganist predilection; hardly a scene goes by without him outright condemning the "wicked, vile gypsy vermin" as if we didn't hear him the first time. Eeeuggh. Mad]
Red Joker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Seriously i was put off of playing any sort of Kingdom heart game a few years back because it just seemed too intimidating. But i went out and bought a copy of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days and i must say that i fell in love with the story. I shed a tear for Xion at the end of the game. The story was just that meaningful and beautiful. spoiler[I was hoping for a romance at the end between Roxas and Xion but i dreams were dashed.]
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Correl wrote:
Keonyn wrote:

False, this is only the case in Japan, globally FF13's numbers are not even that good, even for a game in a franchise that has been built up for decades longer than Mass Effect. Man, even your numbers now are skewed by your anti-west soapboxing. Dear god man, you ever going to step off that soapbox?

Looking at www.vgchartz.com, the games break down as follows:
Mass Effect 2:
Japan - .06 Million
Non-Japan - 4.25 Million
Total - 4.31 Million

Mass Effect 3:
Japan - .04 Million
Non-Japan - 3.77 Million
Total - 3.81 Million

Final Fantasy XIII
Japan - 1.88 Million
Non-Japan - 4.86 Million
Total - 6.74 Million

So, Final Fantasy XIII sold 610K more units outside of Japan than Mass Effect 2 and 1.09 million more units than Mass Effect 3 has (admittedly, Mass Effect 3 hasn't been out nearly as long). This runs counter to your claim that Final Fantasy XIII has sold poorly outside of Japan (admittedly, it sold much better in Japan comparative to the ME games).

Did you seriously quote vgchartz? Wow, what is largely considered the most unreliable numbers site on the internet and scoffed at by consumers and industry analysts alike and you cited that? The numbers vgchartz lists are laregly based on estimates and calculations which are questionable at best and do not even come close to accounting for digital distribution. Frankly man, you'd have been better off quoting a wikipedia article that you had edited to say what you wanted just 2 minutes before hand; I would find that more reliable than vgchartz.

Of course, this should have never been another "east versus west" thread and this is off-topic and irrelevant. TitanXL has this nasty habit of derailing every thread in to "east versus west" BS arguments and he's about a hairs width from moderation if I have to clean up one more of these. This makes almost a dozen this week alone.

Quote:
You know, despite what you may want to think, pointing out something Japanese performed better than a Western thing doesn't make it a 'anti-west soapbox'. One could easily turn that around into a pro-western soap-box in your case, especially when you don't list a source for this claim but still feel it's enough to to insult people over it.

http://gematsu.com/2011/06/final-fantasy-xiii-shifted-over-6-million-copies

Meanwhile, Mass Effect 3's boasted about half that at 3.5 million shipped.

So yes, 13 out performed any ME game, the original point still stands, which is why it's silly if someone wants Square to copy a less-successful game or company. Maybe they just want FF to be an FPS now, who knows.

You're dead set on turning this thread in to a discussion on Mass Effect III even though it has nothing to do with this. Shipped numbers are meaningless; you'd be surprised how many colossal failures in retail could still look good if you looked at the "shipped" numbers. If you're going to soapbox then provide valid information, otherwise you're just derailing yet another damn thread with your incessant prejudice. Frankly Titan, you have no credibility as you've proven time and time again that you see what you want to see in your Japan-centric world, and your citing information that not even an amateur analyst would cite just because it supposedly supports your theory is laughable at best. There's a such thing as a fan and one that is overzealous. Maybe that's fine for you, but the damage you keep doing to discussions is getting out of hand. I mean, way to go, you managed to get a thread about Kingdom Hearts talking about the sales numbers of Mass Effect and Final Fantasy, neither of which are Kingdom Hearts. Now, I'm going to say one more time, stop turning threads in to your crusade against the west, especially when you have next to nothing to even add to the discussion or as support.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
spankminister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:01 am Reply with quote
Regannator wrote:
Correl wrote:
According to your acquaintances, where would I get more reliable sales figures?

Lol, you can't. Unless a particular company openly discloses sales numbers, that stuff is kept confidential.

Usually, though, big companies like to release sales numbers in quarterly reports as, I dunno, a sign of pride or something.

So if a company is publicly traded, that is, if you can buy shares of its stock openly, it reports those sales figures not as a matter of pride, but because it must accurately disclose its earnings according to rules set by the SEC. Not sure how it works in Japan, but basically, every quarter, stockholders need to know which of management's choices worked, and which didn't. Without this data, it would be impossible to tell if the company was being well managed, and no one would buy its stock

Anime companies can keep sales figures confidential because if you are not publicly traded, you only need to tell a small group of people how your company is doing.

Edit: here's an earnings call from 2009 http://www.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/news/20090622_01en.pdf

The sales are in an image in there, rather than front and center, because investors care if the entire company made or lost money, franchise performance is a secondary concern.
paradise13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:38 am Reply with quote
I'm looking to drop off my first project this weekend (hopefully Friday). It's called Dream Drops because it's basically me rapping about imaginary scenarios, eventually waking up. http://www.dotmmo.com/dream-drops-3009.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4