• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Licentious Licensing

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I can name so much stuff where Blu-Ray wouldn't improve hardly at all. Older sitcoms wouldn't benefit at all, and older cartoons from the 60s to the early 2000s would see zero improvement as well. There's a reason why not a single series in either category have yet to see the Blu.

While I don't own a Blu-Ray player, my living room TV is an HD TV with an HD DirecTV receiver, and I know what HD looks like, so please don't try to talk me down like that

Except you were categorically incorrect about older shows not benefitting from an HD remaster. Whether or not you would particularly like to see them in HD has no impact on the resolution of photography. That you would suggest otherwise and continue to do so deservedly earns you incredulous responses.

And he doesn't even own a Blu-ray player...you know there's an appreciable difference between the strangled bandwidth of televised HD and a proper HD file on a disc, right? And you're still indignant? Confused

This has nothing to do with what I WANT to see, I just can't see any benefit of Blu-Ray for some shows. Can you honestly see shows like "I Love Lucy", "Happy Days", "Giligan's Island", and "The Adams Family" looking any different on Blu-Ray? The only benefit they would see from Blu-Ray is the extra storage space.

I assume my DirecTV HD would look exactly the same as a Blu-Ray player.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
16mm film can give a BD-worthy picture(hence why DBZ and One Piece's older episodes can be remastered in HD); 35mm(which was used for I Love Lucy) has about twice the resolution of the current standard. So yes, older shows shot on film can benefit, though Full House is going to look like crap no matter what you do.

On another note, your DirecTV feed is almost certainly little better than the ATSC standard, which allows about half the bitrate of a typical Blu-ray encode.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Though it's possible the original masters might not exist. I Love Lucy looks extremely blury in the Hallmark Channel reruns, even through an HD feed. "Happy Days" reruns on The Hub look pretty bad as well. It's the same for 80s/90s sitcoms like "Full House", "Roseanne", "Home Improvment", "Threes Company", "Fresh Prince", and the like. They look decent when they're on TV, but they're not available in HD. Plus, they're SITCOMS. It's not like you're watching some big, epic motion picture.

My parents have a DirecTV HD receiver with a DirecTV HD satellite dish, all hooked up to an LG HD TV. It looks amazing. I can't imagine it looking any better. Regular DirecTV feed wouldn't be as good, but when it's through an HD receiver, and you're watching an HD channel, and an HD show, I'm pretty sure it's on-par.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
This has nothing to do with what I WANT to see, I just can't see any benefit of Blu-Ray for some shows. Can you honestly see shows like "I Love Lucy", "Happy Days", "Giligan's Island", and "The Adams Family" looking any different on Blu-Ray? The only benefit they would see from Blu-Ray is the extra storage space.

I'm guessing that you haven't seen the Blu-ray releases for THE TWILIGHT ZONE or STAR TREK, then? Classic TV shows shot on film will look just as good as anything shot today, so long as the materials still exist, and the restoration process is handled properly. We're getting The Dick Van Dyke show on Blu-ray later this year, so the likelihood that any of the shows mentioned above will get a new HD master could be higher than you think.

Shows like Full House, Roseanne, Alf, Three's Company, and Fresh Prince - most sitcoms from the 80s and 90s, with a few stretching back to the 70s - were shot on video. They're never going to look better because they were shot on a fixed low-resolution format to begin with. You can upscale them, but it makes even less of a difference than it does with animation, because at least a digital algorithm can replicate solid outlines slightly better than live action footage.

The reason I Love Lucy and Happy Days look like crap "in HD" is because the shows haven't been remastered yet. Any HD broadcast is an upscale of the same SD masters the channel's been sitting on for the last 15 years.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
Shows like Full House, Roseanne, Alf, Three's Company, and Fresh Prince - most sitcoms from the 80s and 90s, with a few stretching back to the 70s - were shot on video. They're never going to look better because they were shot on a fixed low-resolution format to begin with. You can upscale them, but it makes even less of a difference than it does with animation, because at least a digital algorithm can replicate solid outlines slightly better than live action footage.

Which brings me to my point... not everything can benefit from Blu-Ray. Wink
Kakugo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Which brings me to my point... not everything can benefit from Blu-Ray. Razz

Not everything, no. Just the four titles you mentioned by name. Wink

And as for 4K being The Next Big Thing... I'll believe it when I see it. Even modern day blockbusters like THE AVENGERS were "finished" at 2K, making any 4K presentation little more than an over the top upscale. Even then, every single home format has been the victim of chroma subsampling, which would defeat at least some of the idea behind going beyond 1080p to begin with unless they were going to sell 4K 4:4:4 DCP hard drives... and I just can't see the theaters who have been forced to upgrade over the last several years taking kindly to any of that.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
And people who watch shows digitally say we should get with the times, and to forget DVDs because it will diminish.

As a recent event showed, if you rely on the "cloud" always being there, you will get screwed in the end.

RyanSaotome wrote:
Trying to watch some old VHS or something on a big HDTV looks terrible. Its all stretched and fuzzy, and it hurts any enjoyment that might be had from it.

"Stretched"? You're doing it wrong.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Which brings us back to the main point -- which walw6 and everyone else were refering to -- that anime shot on flim, not tape, greatly benefits from being remastered into HD and almost entirely too. Having the original film strips reshot into a higher resolution means details aren't lost like they were in lesser formats. It's like how you can take photo negatives and blow it up nearly as big as you want without a high to the quality, but try that with an average digital cam? Hello artifacts. Not to mention better colour balance and grain. There's plenty of evidence of that up on Youtube with all the Sunrise remasters and even here on an old ANNCast.

The only ones that don't benefit as much are shows that used digital effects or painting, and are thus locked in at whatever resolution they were made at. But that's exceedingly rare for pre-2000s animation.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:15 am Reply with quote
Hell, I think the best benefit for seeing old anime on BD is so that it can compete visually with modern anime. The only thing holding them back tends to be poor degraded and old audio. Even when watching a film like Nausicaa on BD, you still notice the limited SFX. If not quite BD, seeing remastered anime on dual-layer DVDs is fine too; Genmu Senki Leda, Windaria, Cleopatra DC, BAOH, Birdy the Mighty, and the Dirty Pair OVAs all showed how good that can look. The importance here is on having high resolution transfers, but having it in actual HD is preferred over upscaling.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:27 am Reply with quote
Giant Robo is going to get the 4K treatment...I wonder if that factors into the asking price? It surely must I'm guessing.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:
Sorry if I sound ignorant, but do people who record their shows counted in the tv ratings?

Good question. Unfortunately I don't know the answer, but if I had to guess, I would guess that they probably don't since "this many people recorded it" isn't the same as "this many people watched it." Some people might not watch everything that they record, or don't watch it immediately (within the week).

If the rating system works the same way in Japan as it does here in the US, it would not count DVRed shows. Here in the US, Neilson Media Research does all of the TV ratings (among other things). They way they do TV is by having a box next to the TV of a "representative statistical sample" of the population. When someone is actively watching the TV, they press a button and it records how long and what channel(s) the person watched, then sends the data in nightly. If a show is DVRed, there is nobody there to press the button. It would be better if the system were automatic and would record when a show was being recorded or when someone was watching, but it would have to be able to deal with too many different types of recording systems from TiVo to cable/satellite set-top box DVR systems to stand-alone DVRs like the one I have (it functions pretty much like an old-fashioned VCR, you set it for a time and a channel and it goes. It doesn't have a service that I have to pay for, but it also has no program listing to pick the shows from). It would even have to deal with those old-fashioned VCRs, I would think...

I don't know how they do the ratings in Japan, but that is how it works in the US and Canada.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

RyanSaotome wrote:
Trying to watch some old VHS or something on a big HDTV looks terrible. Its all stretched and fuzzy, and it hurts any enjoyment that might be had from it.

"Stretched"? You're doing it wrong.

Yeah, I'm sure some simple setting changes would fix the issue.

When I switched cable companies I couldn't figure out why my video quality looked so bad. It turned out that my box was preset so I had to find the right setting to make it look better (that's my best way of putting it).

Of course, this is only my experience, I have no idea how it would transition from VHS to HD without having imperfect video quality.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Which brings us back to the main point -- which walw6 and everyone else were refering to -- that anime shot on flim, not tape, greatly benefits from being remastered into HD and almost entirely too. Having the original film strips reshot into a higher resolution means details aren't lost like they were in lesser formats. It's like how you can take photo negatives and blow it up nearly as big as you want without a high to the quality, but try that with an average digital cam? Hello artifacts. Not to mention better colour balance and grain. There's plenty of evidence of that up on Youtube with all the Sunrise remasters and even here on an old ANNCast.

The only ones that don't benefit as much are shows that used digital effects or painting, and are thus locked in at whatever resolution they were made at. But that's exceedingly rare for pre-2000s animation.

I was mostly talking about other types of media, and while I do think most animated titles would benefit, if the original masters don't exist (which in is often the case), then a Blu-Ray release wouldn't be beneficial. An upscale would certainly be better than nothing, but... it's an upscale. Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
Any production made before 2003, (unless it was done on HD prototypes), will not be finished on HD format. Anything old and on tape, but not on film, re-released on Blueray will not be true HD, but up converted SD. It will have a slightly higher resolution in detail, but not as good as a production done on 1080i from the first frame. High Definition, is about the resolution detail in the picture. The Holy Grail of television is to gain resolution and detail as crisp, sharp and clean as 35mm film, a format over 100 years old in existance. Anybody who works in the industry, and/or goes to the shows like E3 knows HD is still a work in progress. and to date in broadcasting there still isn't a "grade 1" or "broadcast quality" display monitor to replace the high resolution detail quality of broadcast CRTs left behind after the HD upgrades. Nearest one so far is the O-LED screen, but even that is still underpar to the CRT. The last CRT came off the assembly line in 2007 and now even new-old-stock is hard to find for replacements if at all. Blue ray is great in an HD upgrade for DVD, but it's still hindered by a lack of pure HD content, but as the months and years progress that will naturally increase, however having said that it could get left behind by increased bandwith and bit-rate speeds of the internet and increased popularity of simple downloading content, in short, steaming like DVD is being threatened with, but it's still not enough to force me to give up my CRT tele and DVD player, but I'm an old git who remembers the days of 405 line TV in monochrome. Wink
Farix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The simulcast is just like a TV airing. I don't see why everyone NEEDS to be able to own everything when its easily viewable at any time through the simulcasts. Having it be a "premium option" for the most hardcore fans, like in Japan, is probably the way the Japanese companies would make the most money.

You do realize that all streaming media have expiration dates. So if you want something to be truly "viewable at any time", you need to own a physical copy of some sort.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 11