• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Clannad After Story Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:

And when a show cops-out like that, doesn't it feel kind of insulting? Like, okay, these are by and large emotional junk food on the level of the soap opera, but there's still GOOD junk food that might even push the boundaries a bit. Like you, I got the feeling this was going to morph into something pretty special, yet at the end of it all I was wondering "do they really think I need this?"

I don't think its a cop-out, its just...non linear.

The game makes you work your ass off for that ending.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
If it wasn't clear, I'm agreed with Key's claim that this is a narrative cop-out. It's interesting about the game, but I'd rather judge the show in and of itself.

Last edited by dewlwieldthedarpachief on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
If it wasn't clear, I'm agreed with Key's claim that this is a narrative cop-out.

Of course you did, thats why I responded to your post.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Kyonai had to rush the ending to do the 3 epiosde kyou arc which is why It could not be properly explained/displayed in animated form.

I thought the Kyou arc was only one OVA episode?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Kyonai had to rush the ending to do the 3 epiosde kyou arc which is why It could not be properly explained/displayed in animated form.

That would be tomoyo's arc or chapter in season one which was so popular that got it whole spin off game. Kyou's arc in after story started and ended on epiosde 24-26. I really hate being a fan-boy for certain series at times .. it makes me look like a dork/loser but what can you do?? lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite series..I think I probably shed a tear or two in spoiler[episode 21 when Ushio died].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Being the emotional sadsack that I am, I cried four times within a span of six episodes. On top of that, I had accidentally skipped the episode spoiler[where Nagisa dies while giving birth to Ushio], which was an experience in of itself.

The ending left a bit to be desired for me. I was ultimately happy with the result, but I too felt like it was a little bit contrived, and that spoiler[Nagisa coming back felt a little forced].

Regardless, Clannad + After Story remains to be one of, if not the best romantic drama titles based off of a visual novel I've seen. I'm going to hold off on that Blu-Ray for a while longer, considering that it'll be the third time I purchased this series. Laughing
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Okay, I have never seen this series and don't particularly want to because it's not my kind of show so I have no horse in this race, but...

...STOP USING THIS EXCUSE. Maybe not you in particular, but any time I see people rushing to the defense of this series, the response is "But in the game yadda yadda." A game is not the same as a TV show. As you point out, a TV show is linear, while a game is not. If you're going to adapt a non-linear game into a TV show, you must make it linear, and that means addressing things that might feel like a cop-out when rendered linear. This means you either have to find a linear way of spoiler[addressing the orb-gathering so that the ending doesn't feel like a cop-out], or you change the ending. Since I imagine that the latter would have lost them massive sales from dedicated fans, then they needed to find some way to do the former.

This goes for anybody talking about any adaptation ever. Adaptation involves changing things, and if the adapted product is flawed then it's flawed regardless of how good the original might have been. Expecting people to accept something because the original explains or justifies it does not work. Defend the anime with the anime, not with the VN.

(To take an example close to my heart, I love the Akira manga, and I can tell people who don't like the movie that almost everything they find wrong with or confusing about it is addressed in the manga -- but in the end that doesn't really have any relevance to the movie, which still has those flaws and that confusion regardless of the manga.)

All that aside, "cop-out" is perhaps impossible to determine objectively, and reset buttons in general are very difficult to pull off. One of my favorite series of all time has a reset button push that a lot of people don't like (spoiler[Wolf's Rain]), and there have been other series that people have loved with reset buttons that I found really lame to the point that they nearly ruined the series for me. So I can't tell you just from hearing it whether Clannad After Story was a "cop-out" or not. But if the only defense you can give of the reset button is to reference the video game... then the TV show has a problem.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
My core problem with After Story is the ending. I've written about it before at length, so I'll try and keep it succinct.

spoiler[The message that After Story was sending to me was that even if Tomoya had been a complete deadbeat for 3-4 years, he could still change and be the father that Ushio needed. After his reunion with his dad (and particularly the moment it hits him about how hard his dad worked and did what he could to provide for him), I was ready to sing After Story's praise. The further touching scenes as Tomoya and Ushio reconnect and slowly form a bond on their trip cemented my jubilation even further. However, this message and all that Tomoya goes through is for naught. Instead of it being a story of how hardship can be overturned and how even in the darkest depths there could still be light, it turned into a fairytale where he was able to re-live from the very moment that Ushio was born (with Nagisa surviving this time). This renders everything, the ups and the downs of the previous few years, absolutely worthless.]

spoiler[And for what? So that there could be a forced happy conclusion? Why wouldn't it have been a happy conclusion if Tomoya had just carried Ushio to the spot that Akio had taken Nagisa many years prior when she had nearly been frozen from the snow and then have the magical orbs bring Ushio back to life and just continuing from there, with new conviction to be the best father he could for Ushio? Such a beautiful story gets tarnished because people can't accept anything other than fairytale mega-happy ending, even at the cost of vital character growth? Sigh.]

Okay, yeah. I fail at succinct. Sorry about that. This was one of the biggest disappointments I have ever had for anime. At least I've already played the Little Busters game so I know what to expect there.

I actually felt very similar to you the fist time I watched After Story. I think the ending is stupid and pointless. spoiler[Tomoya would have suffered a lot being alone, but he would have used his tough live experiences to move on and keep on living.]

Both Clannad series are in my top 40 favorites. But I cannot justify Clannad: After Story as being the greatest anime of all time.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
PFF, more like Clannad: Happily Ever After Story.
Goggen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

That would be tomoyo's arc or chapter in season one which was so popular that got it whole spin off game. Kyou's arc in after story started and ended on epiosde 24-26. I really hate being a fan-boy for certain series at times .. it makes me look like a dork/loser but what can you do?? lol

No, actually, Kyou's arc in After Story was treated just like Tomoyo's arc in the first season - one episode only, and released as an OVA.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:57 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Okay, I have never seen this series and don't particularly want to because it's not my kind of show so I have no horse in this race, but...

...STOP USING THIS EXCUSE. Maybe not you in particular, but any time I see people rushing to the defense of this series, the response is "But in the game yadda yadda." A game is not the same as a TV show. As you point out, a TV show is linear, while a game is not. If you're going to adapt a non-linear game into a TV show, you must make it linear, and that means addressing things that might feel like a cop-out when rendered linear. This means you either have to find a linear way of spoiler[addressing the orb-gathering so that the ending doesn't feel like a cop-out], or you change the ending. Since I imagine that the latter would have lost them massive sales from dedicated fans, then they needed to find some way to do the former.

This goes for anybody talking about any adaptation ever. Adaptation involves changing things, and if the adapted product is flawed then it's flawed regardless of how good the original might have been. Expecting people to accept something because the original explains or justifies it does not work. Defend the anime with the anime, not with the VN.

(To take an example close to my heart, I love the Akira manga, and I can tell people who don't like the movie that almost everything they find wrong with or confusing about it is addressed in the manga -- but in the end that doesn't really have any relevance to the movie, which still has those flaws and that confusion regardless of the manga.)

All that aside, "cop-out" is perhaps impossible to determine objectively, and reset buttons in general are very difficult to pull off. One of my favorite series of all time has a reset button push that a lot of people don't like (spoiler[Wolf's Rain]), and there have been other series that people have loved with reset buttons that I found really lame to the point that they nearly ruined the series for me. So I can't tell you just from hearing it whether Clannad After Story was a "cop-out" or not. But if the only defense you can give of the reset button is to reference the video game... then the TV show has a problem.

However the problem arises when they try to adapt in animation form the exact source following the same exact routes/methods of doing it. I will continue to bring this up in threads on clannad due in part because kyonai dropped the ball on this and they where going for faithful adaption here. This isn't like FMA and FMAB where the creator told them to go off and write their own ending because the source material was still ongoing. Then a few years later we got another anime after the source material was done.

They were legitimately trying to following the routes/method from the game because stay with me on this it came out 2004 and the adapt came out in 07-08. All I'm trying to do is explain this to people because In all honesty.. I don't want anyone here to waste 300hrs playing text based game to get more of a fill in that was axed.

Goggen wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

No, actually, Kyou's arc in After Story was treated just like Tomoyo's arc in the first season - one episode only, and released as an OVA.

I could have sworn it was longer than that.. well you proved me wrong Laughing I really do need to get a life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:31 pm Reply with quote
PFF, more like Clannad: Happily Ever After Story.

LOL! You sir, have just won this thread! That was really good! Very Happy

dtm42 wrote:
...and it is all for naught; the ending is still a massive cop-out.

The Deus ex Machina plot element is lazy writing, regardless how well the story unfolds to deliver it.

Perhaps your opinion would be different if this series ended with time traveling mechanics rather than little white balls?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
The Deus ex Machina plot element is lazy writing, regardless how well the story unfolds to deliver it.

Perhaps your opinion would be different if this series ended with time traveling mechanics rather than little white balls?

Was the ending of Clannad After Story a case of deus ex machina? Mechanically maybe, but definitely yes in a narrative sense. It doesn't matter if it were enabled by little glowing orbs or a time machine, spoiler[resetting everything] was still a deus ex machina ending.

And before you jump all over this as proof that time travel is automatically bad, it isn't. RahXephon and Puella Magi Madoka Magica both had spoiler[time travel and reset endings of sorts], yet narratively they made sense and were even superbly done. Twop of the best endings you will ever see in Anime. on the other hand, Clannad After Story and I guess even My-HiME (I haven't personally watched it) is how not to do that sort of ending. In the latter case it sounds like the writers had simply painted themselves into a corner. While in the former case the writers wanted it both ways, to have the cake and eat it too.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I've got my subbed DVDs (the clips I heard of a dub sounded good but not as good as the dubs for Air/Kanon, so I'll stick to my current sets) of Clannad AS, but still not sure if I'll get around to watching it. Nagisa is the only girl in all of Key I couldn't stand, the only story arc (the final arc of the first Clannad series) which made no sense from a logical perspective (she blames herself for what was obviously her parents' mistake of leaving a small child home alone? And nearly wrecks the play they worked so hard on for this nonsense? Illogical angst much?), and I preferred Tomoya's interactions with any of the other girls over her. So I'm not sure how into AS I'd be, especially since all the other girls' roles (and Sunohara as well, I assume) are reduced from what I understand. On the other hand, Tomoya was a really strong protagonist, so if he goes through some good development that might make me want to go through with watching it.

I'll second the desire to see more of the cast of Kanon, definitely my favorite of the Key "trilogy" (I think Air might have been higher if it had been at least a few more episodes longer, some of the character arcs and plot elements were rushed. At least the ending was incredible).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6