• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - True Fans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
After that whole.... what do you call it summer preview guide/anime expo/otaku ANN war BS a few weeks ago, I've gotten completely annoyed with the people arguing true fans requirements and otaku qualifications. If being an anime fan AT ALL somehow means it's absolutely mandatory for me to watch a lot more than what was nostalgic to me, or to accept and unconditionally praise moe and fanservice, regardless of what it does creatively to the industry, bash american animation and comics, watch things only in Japanese with subtitles, or having to express it as some kind of hobby, if being an anime means I HAVE to specifically meet all of those requirements, then I'd just rather not be an anime fan.

Look, I know when I like Japanese animation, why exactly I like it, how I like to watch it and what I look for in Japanese animated stories. I don't need some random fan with a different mentality telling me how I have to think or labelling what I really am. To the people who seriously argue what's required to be a true fan, for the love of god, spare me all the debates and bs! Just... spare me!

Oh, I missed this.

Please point out where anyone said you had to do these things. I'm pretty sure the most anyone has said is "don't insult people for liking things you don't" and "quit whining that Japan doesn't make shows you like". And the latter is only because it gets really repetitive and annoying to hear the same complaints over and over again.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
Not a fan if you like the "EDITED" dub? please, Having seen all of English Yu-gi-oh and its Japanese original, the dub actually stepped it up and made it better,

I can't tell if you're joking or trolling. Probably the latter since you sound so serious and lack of smiley emoticons.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
I have yet to see any American comic with a half decent romance story, or high end humor. All they really have right now are super-hero comics.

I don't know about that - sure, if you only read stories put out by DC and Marvel about their major properties, you're only going to get the superhero basics (although Jodi Picoult wrote a pretty great Wonder Woman). But branch out a bit and there is some pretty terrific stuff. For example, Mark Crilley's Miki Falls* is a great romance and Reina Telgemeier's Smile has as much if not more relateable emotion than a good shoujo manga. Joe Hill's Locke & Key is very effective horror, and horror mangaka could probably pick up a trick or two from his villain.

*Yes, Miki Falls is set in Japan and drawn in a vaguely manga-like style, but it's worlds away from what we usually classify as OEL. Or I'm shamelessly defending a favorite series. Your choice. I still think it's romantic. Smile

I remember seeing Miki Falls in Borders ages ago and thinking it might be interesting. I'll add it to ye olde Amazon wish list, thanks!
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

The only time it seems fit to use the 'true fan' thing is when referring to dubs. If all you've seen is some edited 4Kids TV dub, then no, you can't say you're a 'One Peice/Yu-Gi-Oh/Ojamajo Doremi/whatever" fan, since you haven't actually seen the real version of that show, only some macabre abomination. For most people this is common knowledge, but you do get the occasional blissfully ignorant "Eh, I'm sure it's a perfectly fine adaption and I can judge it from this alone" guy.

Rolling Eyes

Pokemon and Digimon are edited dubs, yet I feel Digimon dub surpasses its original. I tried watching the original. It was boring.

Does that not make me a true Digimon fan because I watched the "edited" dub? ....Get off your high horse.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Oh, I missed this.

Please point out where anyone said you had to do these things. I'm pretty sure the most anyone has said is "don't insult people for liking things you don't" and "quit whining that Japan doesn't make shows you like". And the latter is only because it gets really repetitive and annoying to hear the same complaints over and over again.

I think I said something like "You can at least try to find an anime you like out the 30 new shows airing." It feels like people find excuses to blanket the entire anime market and dislike every single property. Don't like Tari Tari? Well, did you try Jinrui, Sword Art Online, Natsuyuki Rendezvous? There's options here, and people are just unwilling to acknowledge it. This happens every season.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Rolling Eyes

Pokemon and Digimon are edited dubs, yet I feel Digimon dub surpasses its original. I tried watching the original. It was boring.

Does that not make me a true Digimon fan because I watched the "edited" dub? ....Get off your high horse.

I'll give you Pokemon. Original or dubbed, pretty much the same thing.

Can't give you all of Digimon though. Adventure was OK, exepct the really over did it with the puns. 02 was slightly worse then the first one, dub wise... but so was the sub... and the characters... and the show itself...

The Tamers dub was excellent. Sure I prefer the original, but the English dub was spot on. Well, with one exception: whoever thought it was a good idea to give the megas THOSE voices should be shot.
Skipped Frontier... and so should everyone. Data Squad has an average dub... not very good, not very bad... it was OK.

PS: I am amazed how little editing Digimon Tamers got, considering how much nightmare fuel it had. D-Reaper Jerry still haunts my nightmares.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Please point out where anyone said you had to do these things.

Fencedude, just be quiet! I'm really not in the mood to argue with you or hear how you have the right to correct people in an asshole-lish manner.

Me expressing how annoying it is seeing people argue what makes true fans and what doesn't is all I needed to point out to you. I don't care how those arguments even started or who was acting like the jerk first about whatever the hell it is. When I see anyone state what makes an anime fan and what doesn't, it bugs me, period. And that whole event in the forums that happened a few weeks ago was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Not my problem if you don't get that.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
Rolling Eyes

I'll give you Pokemon. Original or dubbed, pretty much the same thing.

Can't give you all of Digimon though. Adventure was OK, exepct the really over did it with the puns. 02 was slightly worse then the first one, dub wise... but so was the sub... and the characters... and the show itself...

The Tamers dub was excellent. Sure I prefer the original, but the English dub was spot on. Well, with one exception: whoever thought it was a good idea to give the megas THOSE voices should be shot.
Skipped Frontier... and so should everyone. Data Squad has an average dub... not very good, not very bad... it was OK.

PS: I am amazed how little editing Digimon Tamers got, considering how much nightmare fuel it had. D-Reaper Jerry still haunts my nightmares.

I could easily call out you're not a true Digimon fan if you skipped over Frontier...and saying everyone should? Yeah, right. Frontier is my favorite season, thanks for the insult.

And it's Jeri, not Jerry.

As for 02, the dub made it better. Sure, Davis was stupid, but hell, most goggleheads are, minus Takato. Overall that season is the second worst season of all, only before Savers/Data Squad. That was the worst.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
Check out ElfQuest.

I remember meeting Wendy and Richard at a comic book convention in San Diego through a girlfriend who turned me onto this comic book.

When we moved to Indiana, I had lost track because Indiana sucks ass as I couldn't find it anywhere. You have to remember, this was the early 80s and life was different then. I remember the flak this comic received because everyone was hating on D&D. Good times.
Very Happy

It looks like I've 30+ years to catch up on. This link just went into my favorites.

Thanks for posting it. I'm going to cry now, because I'm so old to have forgotten it and because I'm happy it's still around.
Anime cry Very Happy

PS: I concur. As a true fan, I think many will like it.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the true fan thing. Twisted Evil
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
When I see anyone state what makes an anime fan and what doesn't, it bugs me, period. And that whole event in the forums that happened a few weeks ago was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Not my problem if you don't get that.

And I want you to point out where that happened.

Getting upset over imagined insults is very annoying. As opposed to those of us who have been specifically insulted in editorial material posted on this site. So you know, I'd like to see you back it up.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:

Actually, it's Juri. They changed that to Jery in the dub because...it sounded too much like Julie and the didn't like that name? I have no idea. And I skipped Frontier because the human/digimon dynamic was gone, and that's what entertained me. Also, yes, you could say I'm not a true Digimon fan, and you'd be technically right, as I am not a fan of Digimon in gerenal. I am a fan of Digimon Adventure, Digimon Adventure 02, Digimon Tamers and Digimon Savers. I am not a fan of the whole franchise, I do not like Frontier, Xcross, or the video games, I only like those series.

Truth be told, there's no such thing as a "true fan". By the very definition of the term, you cannot be a bigger fan then someone else. "Fan" does not actually have degrees or ranks, you're either a fan or you're not.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:

Actually, it's Juri. They changed that to Jery in the dub because... I have no idea. And I skipped Frontier because the human/digimon dynamic was gone, and that's what entertained me. Also, yes, you could say I'm not a true Digimon fan, and you'd be technically right, as I am not a fan of Digimon in gerenal.
I am a fan of Digimon Adventure, Digimon Adventure 02, Digimon Tamers and Digimon Savers. I am not a fan of the whole franchise, I do not like Frontier, Xcross, or the video games, I only like those series.

If we were talking in dub terms, it's spelled Jeri. Not Jerry. I know her name is Juri. I may not watch the original, but I know all the original names and whatnot.

And honestly, to me, Digimon isnt about the partnership. It's about how the kids grow and interact with each other and realize their on faults as they journey together. They develop and realize their faults and learn to care about each other. You're missing out on a great season just for that petty reason. Frontier had the best character develop of all because they had no partners. Heck, in Adventure, Matt/Yamoto and Mimi barely talked to each other in the entire series.

Savers was the "Masaru Show", all about Masaru, which to me, is not Digimon. It's a story about a unlikable street kid who wants to fight and doesn't develop whatsoever.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Pokemon and Digimon are edited dubs, yet I feel Digimon dub surpasses its original. I tried watching the original. It was boring. Does that not make me a true Digimon fan because I watched the "edited" dub?

How anyone could prefer repeating the title of the show over and over again over Braveheart, Break Up, EVO, or With the Will is beyond me. I'll just chalk it up to nostalgia for my own sanity.

Otherwise, pretty much. The Digimon dubs aren't really the shows at all. Ignoring things like taste and quality, It doesn't matter if you like it or not; it's different. You haven't actually watched the actual version of Digimon Adventure and beyond. You can say you're a fan of the dub, but not the actual original show itself. Or if you have seen it, and didn't like it, then no, you're not a fan of it apparently.

Personally, this just makes me glad Digimon is dead in the US. No more people who can watch some hackjob and then say they know everything about a show. Xros Wars would be destroyed by a dub/censors.. at least anyone who watches it has to judge it based on it's actual version and not some massacre of a dub. If only more anime was so lucky.

Last edited by TitanXL on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I'm so glad, neocloud9! It really is one of my favorites, and one I've seen a lot of people pass over because of the OEL taint. His new series, Brody's Ghost is currently being published by Dark Horse, and while it isn't as good, it's still a good read.

@Mesonoxian Eve
When I saw someone cosplaying as Leeta at Japan Expo, it kind of made my day. I still cry when I reread "Little Patch" from the short story collection. I have a few of Wendy Pini's prints (one signed!) and am very jealous that you met them. Smile
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
And I want you to point out where that happened.

Why don't you just look for examples yourself? No, really, why don't you? And it's not even a matter of me saying it's your responsibility to do that. If you were there during all the threads about Qwaser of the Stigmata, the ANN preview guide, anything about 4Kids, and all of that other crap, (and I know you threw your 2 cents in at least some of those arguments), you should get an idea of what I'm talking about. It's not in my head, it all happened where everyone else can see it.

I don't understand why you think I would waste my time trying to prove jack to you by sending links or getting into heavy debates about it. What, do you want to be challenged on whether or not you can be proven right or wrong about something? I know what happened and I know it bothered me. You want proof, look for it yourself because it's not hard to find. Heck, you look in this thread itself! There's already someone going back and forth how you haven't really watched something if you watched it a certain way. Just get out of the arguementative, "well prove me wrong or else you're wrong according to only me" mindeset for once in your life and look around you for a moment.

Actually now that I think of it, I don't see the value in trying to prove anything to you that you can look for yourself if you already made up your mind and have your own opinion that you're sticking to about the subject. There's no value. Whatever I say that you disagree with in your head, you just think I'm wrong and that I better have a good explanation that could make you change your opinion. That's ALL you're really telling me.

Last edited by Hypeathon on Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12