• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kids on the Slope (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Botan24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
It's the finale folks! I kinda guessed that spoiler[Sentaro would end up a priest, after I saw him give up his rosary.] Sometimes it takes a big shock to send people running to their true calling. Anyway, I'm happy to see religion portrayed positively without it being over-the-top.

Why is itspoiler[ when guys make a move the girl immediately freezes and goes, "No, stop it!". Ugh, Ritsuko invited Kaoru up to her room after all (and no one was home on top of it). What did she think was going to happen? *sigh* Her character was the biggest letdown for me. Although, I'm happy to see that she and Kaoru will have a chance to reconcile. I wonder who sent her that postcard? Yurika?]

And spoiler[we get one last jam session.] Perhaps it is cheesy, but I love it! Just as good spoiler[as the school festival one.] This show proves over and over how communicating through music is special.

A triumph - it gets an excellent rating in my book.
supercreep

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
Well, if I had to pick the biggest disappointment from this series, it would be the ending. It could have used just one more episode, or even just an entire episode dedicated to what happens spoiler[eight years later.] I didn't like how it was stuffed in here, and yes, it was spoiler[cheesy as hell]. But not intolerable. The show did not get the ending that it deserved.

That aside, it certainly deserves an excellent. I honestly loved it, so much so that I imported the soundtrack. A truly excellent series.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:58 am Reply with quote
I found to be a decent show, one of the better titles from this season, but it could have used more jazz exploration and less angst. I'll probably forget about it soon though, so I don't think I'll be revisiting it any time soon.
tlsmith63

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:23 am Reply with quote
Loved the ending. Nice to find out what happened to everyone later on. I think I will be buying this show.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
Oh well...
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
This one will stand the test of time. Years down the road, people will still be talking about and recommending "Kids on the Slope" by Watanabe and Kanno. It's only a shame they only had 12 episodes to work with, I bet these pacing issues you guys are complaining about would be completely eliminated.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
amazing show. i liked the somehow comfy happy ending since i simply loved the characters. can't even talk about this in objective terms.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:02 pm Reply with quote
What an awesome show. I didn't feel that the ending was rushed. I think things had gone on long enough and those things just reached their boiling points. I like that everything was resolved, even the minor items on the agenda. They did a great job working everything into the package without slapping you in the face with it all.

I liked the spoiler[ years later ] approach as well. Kept me on the edge of my seat. I kept wondering if the ending would be happy or sad. And, damn is spoiler[ Kaoru a total hottie when he's older! *swoon* ]

Loved the spoiler[ jam session at the end with them running down the slope away from someone "moanin" at them.] How nostalgic. Smile

I'd say this has crept its way into the #2 spot on my anime list, right behind CCS. It's a classic that I'm going to cherish forever and ever.

Dragging my husband into the living room now. He's GOING TO WATCH THIS!!!!! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:
And, damn is spoiler[ Kaoru a total hottie when he's older! *swoon* ]

spoiler[Heh, he grew up to be Dr. Tenma. Very Happy]
Quote:
Dragging my husband into the living room now. He's GOING TO WATCH THIS!!!!! Twisted Evil

Please report back on how that goes. Wink
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:01 pm Reply with quote
The eleventh episode was brilliant, and it definitely hit right in the heart. One moment I was happily singing along with "My Favorite Things" the next spoiler[I was practically in tears. When the truck ran into Sentarou's bike, I was worried that they might kill him off. Then, Ritsuko said he was in the hospital, and I was relieved, but still panicking right along with Kaoru. Then the twist Sachiko was nearly killed and they got me. *That's even worse!* I'm very sensitive to survivor's guilt, and that scene on the roof...just damn!]

I guess that's why I enjoyed the final episode but was still disappointed by aspects of it. First, there was the scene of Ritsuko inviting Kaoru over spoiler[I can understand why she was upset--he got too physical too fast (she probably would've been okay if he hadn't tried to pin her down seconds after their first kiss in who knows how many months), and then he made it clear that it was *all about him* by making a crass (and offensive to Riko) comment about how Sentarou's leaving opened the door up for more alone time between them. His comment made it clear that he wasn't overcome with his feelings for Riko atm, he was still nursing the wound of losing his best friend. Which is awkward and painful for Riko, I get that. But I thought Kaoru was being too hard on himself afterward, as usual--until he literally had to yell out an apology/goodbye to Riko from the street because she refused to get out of her room to see him, or even talk to him at school...what the heck?
The train scene was sweet, but kind of lame, since once again they didn't actually talk to each other (although she did make him lunch, and just like the boys communicated through music, Riko tended to communicate through her food. ]
This episode brought out how wonderfully the show depicted Riko's father as a character and his relationship with the kids, especially Kaoru. Made me wish that he had gotten more screentime during the series.

The second half of the series spoiler[was a not unexpected time jump. My first thought at seeing Kaoru eight years into the future was "wow, he grew out his hair!" LOL! Made sense that he'd become a doctor. That was cute.

I call BS on Yurika and Jun staying together for nine years. Once again, it highlighted the fact that the show did not show the relationship that the mangaka had in mind.

The final reunion was sooo sweet, though. Every moment was perfectly played out-the church being on top of the slope, Sentarou raising orphans as a priest-in-training, Moanin' in a chapel played on an organ (!!!), runnin' down the slope again...and meeting Ritsuko at the bottom. It was so beautiful that I can almost forgive the show for the dangling plotline that's bothering the heck out of me-the lack of resolution, any type of resolution, with Sentarou's family.

At the end of ep 11, Sentarou runs away just as Sachiko woke up, and the survivor's guilt switched places. Poor young Sachiko blamed herself for "causing" her big brother to run away. In ep 12, Ritsuko comments that Kaoru must be the one most affected by Sentarou's disappearance. Was I the only one who thought: "no, his mom and Sachiko are suffering most"? Seriously, throughout the series they highlighted how important Sentarou's family, especially his younger siblings, meant to him, and then he just abandons them. Even though I know the show's focus was our main threesome and their friendship, I just can't shake how horrible it is that they didn't show us any resolution between Sentarou and his family.

That said, the final moment was heartfelt and beautiful, and it led to an immediate fanfic/head cannon moment for me imagining Ritsuko and Kaoru getting married with Sentarou officiating. I just want those crazy kids to be happy!]

I will now always think happily of Kids on the Slope whenever I hear Moanin'. I don't recall if I ever heard the Jazz piece before I saw this anime, but now I think they'll be forever linked in my mind!
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, this left me in a confused state. Not about what happened (even though I didn't have a clue about the meaning of rosaries, really, don't laugh), but about my feelings. Even though spoiler[Sentarou leaving] wasn't that unpredictable, the ending is kind of sour. Theý spoiler[finally meet each other... after seven years!! Okay, I should be happy because they actually see each other again ]and it was kind of realistic in that way, but hey - I've been brought up with Disney endings Wink. I'm sure if I give it time, I'll make peace with my feelings.

Agreed with Kirkdawg that this show will stand the test of time. They did the best they could with the pacing, when you only have 12 episodes.
Not sure if I should give it an Excellent or Masterpiece rating. I give high ratings quite often and a show can be a masterpiece even when it has some minor flaws. Nothing can be perfect... (sorry if that is a contradiction)
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:20 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
Well, if I had to pick the biggest disappointment from this series, it would be the ending. It could have used just one more episode, or even just an entire episode dedicated to what happens spoiler[eight years later.] I didn't like how it was stuffed in here, and yes, it was spoiler[cheesy as hell]. But not intolerable. The show did not get the ending that it deserved.

I'm willing to let them cram in that ending for no other reason than it was supposed to be a coming-of-age show. I would go so far as to suggest that spoiler[it needs its own spin-off about 20-somethings in the mid-1970s]. Now that would be a nice way to continue on with such a great title. Still, I'll take the good ending that I got.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
Thought the ending was decent. Not bad, not a masterpiece, just decent. Predictable and a little corny, but I only had two real problems with it:
1)spoiler[That Yurika and Jun ended up happy together. I was okay with them running off together because it was so well-executed and I honestly didn't think the show was giving an opinion on whether it was right or wrong. It was just presenting an event that happened to two of the characters in the show, and it felt very realistic. But still together and happy after eight years? I doubt it!] Makes me wonder if it was handled the same way in the manga. I'll definitely have to go find it and read it when I get the chance. Smile
And 2)spoiler[Why no drums allowed in church? D= I know why, of course: It's Japan, and it's forty years ago. But it still makes me a bit sad. Alas, what could have been... (I'm Catholic, and although traditional music has its place and its advantages, I prefer to hear some more contemporary music in church as well.) I did like to see him as a priest-in-training, however. It was unexpected, but very fitting! And Kaoru as a doctor is perfect too^^]

The last episode did feel a bit rushed, but at least they gave it an ending! So many other anime that are adaptations of manga or novels these days don't even get proper endings. They just...stop. It's nice to have a conclusion of some sort, and it fit, and it certainly wasn't a bad ending. Just kind of "decent". The Yurika thing is honestly a nitpick, in my opinion. Overall, I rated the series as 'Excellent', because that's what it was. I had high hopes for this series going into it, and it blew even those perhaps unfairly high expectations out of the water. It was a very visceral and emotional experience, and I adore all of the characters. (Even Yurika, in an "I know people like you, but I kind of wish I didn't" kind of way.) I'm going to have to read the manga now, but I'll definitely miss the epic music sessions from the TV show! Yoko Kanno, you are amazing!
Riddley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote
I really loved this series from start to finish. I agree with others that it could have done for a few more episodes, but I still think the pacing was done really well. It got a Masterpiece from me and I'm sparing with that.

It's animes like this that, I think, are the future of the genre. I get that in Japan anime is often still relegated to the youngsters, I think as the anime generations grow older and it becomes more popular in the west it's going to be serious dramas like this one that become the ones new anime have to meet and exceed.

I REALLY like how Catholicism was portrayed positively here. Not just that, it was portrayed as no big deal, and I loved that.

If I had one criticism, it would be spoiler[the lack of real closure around Kaoru & Riko. He just sort of ran off and they didn't capitulate their feelings. I agree with a previous poster that having Riko deny him in the bedroom was really poor. Why invite him up then? Why kiss him before? Again, that's down to cultural difference between East and West (we move quicker here) but I still think it should have gone farther than her immediately acting innocent. But especially, why have a relationship that goes that far and then leave it when he moves to Tokyo? I really thought that was done poorly]

Having said that, it's more a matter of opinion really. Others probably found that to be satisfying Smile

Overall I think it needs to be in the top 10 best.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't think spoiler[Riko kicking Kaoru to the curb in the bedroom has anything to do with cultural differences. Her Catholicism might have been a factor, but I think it was more about Kaoru making it obvious that he was still getting over Sentarou, and wanted to use her to forget about him-it wasn't coming out of love, or even desire for her. What he said was pretty disgusting, bitter and selfish. She told him to stop, and he wouldn't.

Now, why it took eight friggin' years for her to get over it is another story. Kaoru probably just didn't contact her while he was in Tokyo because he was afraid of being rejected again (in character for him), and she was traditional, never the type of girl to make a first move (in character for her). That combination kept them apart for an unnecessarily long time.

Total BS on Yurika & Jun, but again, I chuck it up to the finer points of their relationship lost in adaptation.]

Portraying Catholicism in a positive, non-judgmental and, as far as I can tell (as a Jew who's never been inside a Catholic church) realistic manner is refreshing. I don't need to remind people that even anime and manga that try to portray monotheistic religions in a positive light aren't always realistic.

Question for Catholic viewers: what was Ritsuko wearing on her head at church?

Anyway, I felt the pacing and some of the mid-series relationship focus in the story was a bit off, so I think I'll rate this series as "Very Good."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 20