• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kids on the Slope (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
What's interested about those of us who don't like Yurika, is that I don't think the creators of the show intended for people not to like her. I could be wrong about that, but I think we are expected to be rooting for her and Jun. It could be a situation of a character getting away from its creators.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
No comments about Sen spoiler[supposedly moving out and leaving the other two? I was pretty surprised since it came out of left field. His Dad is probably involved, asking him to move back with him to where ever he lives now. ]

And Kaoru spoiler[went full man mode but for some reason can't move an inch forward now that he's not sick? Standard anime MC behavior I guess, but it's believable. ]
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow... I never thought I'd see so many people bitch about a show having realistic, human characters. Check out "Mingus: Triumph of the Underdog," "Let's Get Lost" (on Chet Baker), and "The Miles Davis Story" for a glimpse at the personalities of some of the most innovative musicians out there. I'm not sure of a good documentary on Bird, but I do know he struggled with heroin.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:
Wow... I never thought I'd see so many people bitch about a show having realistic, human characters. Check out "Mingus: Triumph of the Underdog," "Let's Get Lost" (on Chet Baker), and "The Miles Davis Story" for a glimpse at the personalities of some of the most innovative musicians out there. I'm not sure of a good documentary on Bird, but I do know he struggled with heroin.

An appropriate analog. I recall that Charlie Mingus had a violent streak and once smashed a pianists fingers with the piano's key cover. I think that Jackie McLean also once stabbed Mingus because MacLean thought that Mingus was going to kill him.

I think my own dense indifference and ignorance regarding romance has made it tricky for me to catch all of the dynamics that are cheesing some people off. For a series like this, my enjoyment and sympathy don't depend upon the characters doing the right thing so much as their doing the human thing.

What this show really needs is a Billy Tipton character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:

I just wish those two characters had been skipped or reduced in favor of time spent on the music.

Episode 10 felt rushed to me. The only musical reference being spoiler[a discussion of a playlist]. Rushed resolutions and a slightly awkward time skip. None of those electrifying jazz scenes which got me hooked on the series through episode 7. Not to say this wasn't an interesting slice-of-life, but I feel like the show has lost much of its focus in recent episodes.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
So unless there's a riveting musicgasm every episode then Kids on the Slope has "lost it's focus"?
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
So unless there's a riveting musicgasm every episode then Kids on the Slope has "lost it's focus"?

Yes, and it spent two episodes away from the central characters, forcing a rushed narrative when it got back to the main theme.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Svidrigailov wrote:

Who is bitching about there being realistic, human characters? Ugh, that's my least favourite discussion gambit: using a frame of reference that applies to absolutely nobody in this thread. If somebody acts petty and shallow in real life, of course I'm not going to like them. Why should it be any different for a fictional character who acts petty and shallow. Sure, that is a realistic, human trait, but so what?
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I think Jun agreeing to take Yurika with him is implausible and unrealistic. (Her impuslveness might be a realistic portrayal of a headstrong love-sick seventeen-year-old girl, but Jun never seemed especially impulsive nor especially head-over-heels in love with Yurika.) I think Kaoru and Ritsuko not moving forward for weeks after the scene in front of his house is implausible and unrealistic. YMMV.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Loved this episode! You know what this show needed?spoiler[ A good snowball fight!] And to lose Jun and Yurika. Unfortunately, their characters feel like dead weight now.

But on with the good stuff: spoiler[Yes, a lot went down, but I enjoyed it all so much that none of it seemed rushed. Sen was remarkably graceful in his good-bye to Yurika('s painting). Kaoru made sure his best friend didn't flunk out of high school. Ritsuko walked in on Kaoru in the bath, which was a laugh out loud moment for me! Laughing not to mention the awkward conversation that followed, or Kaoru's "Dead Man Walking" act the next day.] To quote a commentor on Crunchyroll:
Quote:
Japanese Colds: The most debilitating illness known to man
. Couldn't have said it better myself, ARX8! spoiler[(At least it gave Kaoru's nosy cousin something to talk about).]

spoiler[After the break, we learn that Kaoru and Ri'ko haven't been building up their relationship over spring break (are they still not dating?) There's another school festival coming up, and Sen's disapproving step-dad is coming home...And Sen is thinking of running away instead of confronting him head-on. (Not telling Kaoru what he's feeling is definitely "catching stupid!) Great set-up for next week, and the hope of a happy, jazz-filled ending!

Best line of the episode:
Kaoru: "[Sentarou's] so handsome, he even takes my breath away sometimes." LOL, if that's not a shout-out to fujoshi fan girls, nothing is! Razz Twisted Evil]
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:37 am Reply with quote
I have job training for one week and this thread just explodes... Laughing

Try to keep this short: (never happens with me, I know)
Regarding Jun x Yurika: She's a girl who gets what she wants. She wants to be with Jun because it's rebellious, but I really don't think she knows what she's getting into. Her parents are totally overbearing and she wants to escape from that - this part has nothing to do with money I think. I think they're both going to have a really rough life together and she's going to find out what the "real world" is like. Maybe even make some art for the "cause" Jun supports. Yes, she's wrong for what she did to Sen, but I'll stand by my earlier opinion of "that's a real reaction". I find her character to be very real still. Sen's reaction to the spoiler[ rumors, painting being removed, and Kaoru's friendship through that time period shows that he's definitely the most mature person in this show.]

Yes! This show did need a spoiler[ snowball fight]! I loved that scene! I loved it even more since they were playing my favorite chart: Satin Doll. *swoon* Also spoiler[Kaoru protecting Ri-Chan from the snowball while wearing her gloves... such a nice detail.]

This episode had me giggling, laughing so hard my gut hurt, and crying right there at the end.

I'm honestly surprised only one other person has mentioned that spoiler[Sen appears to be running away]. This seems like a parallel to what happened with spoiler[Yurika] but with different stressors. Maybe that situation actually had something to do with his decision as well. Either way, I don't like where this is headed... I seriously lost it at the end of the episode. The ending theme's lyrics make a lot more sense if spoiler[Sen actually leaves.] I sat there, alone in the living room with my strawberry parfait crying my eyes out as all of these scenarios raced through my head. Although, I really hope that's not the way the show turns out. Yes, it would be realistic and pretty grounded, but it would become a show that I would love and cherish but could rarely ever watch. It's like scrolling through all of those bittersweet memories of my school year days. Last night, I even dreamed about all of my old friends. I think I'm getting way too invested in this show. But it keeps pulling me in.

I loved some of the stereotypical scenes in this latest episode. Like the spoiler[ bath scene ] Seems like a lot of shows have one of those moments, but this one was so endearing and appropriately awkward. You could just tell that spoiler[Ri-chan] didn't want to just run away or anything. spoiler[She lingers there, talking to Kaoru. Almost like she wanted to go back in and take another look. ] Smile

I also loved spoiler[Kaoru's sick screaming confession]. That had me laughing so hard! I love where he's spoiler[ screaming that he loves her and he doesn't care who hears it.] That whole "Let them hear" moment was just awesome. spoiler[Although, the near kiss left me totally hanging in wait!!!]

In regard to the closing symbols... I had not noticed that they were changing. Although... Common Time is primarily associated with pop music now. So, that leaves me with the taste that we're going to see a lot more of rock and roll and a lot less of jazz. Or maybe it implies that their lives are just falling into a steady pace, less hectic, more normal and "square". Although, that would certainly be changing with what's heavily implied by spoiler[Sen's scene at the end of the episode.] Although, I notice that they have not presented a time signature yet. Maybe this is symbolic of them just playing and playing and playing and now things are starting to be pieced together. After all, it's a little tough to play if you don't know the time signature. Maybe that's their way of telling us "it's time to bring this to a close".

Can't wait for the next episode! Wish my husband would watch this with me, but he refuses. *grumble grumble*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist: He also temporarily screwed up trombonist Jimmy Knepper's embouchure with a punch to the mouth. Also blew his lid at the audience on a number of occasions.

Blood-: It's mainly how a few people are complaining about Yurika and Jun's characters, namely Tuxedocat (who's been so good as to be obverse about his/her dissatisfaction). And to be frank, no one pointedly said, "Gee, I'm mad as hell that these characters are realistic." In jazz, many artists will suggest the line by playing notes around it. I try to avoid straw man arguments if at all possible.

Bento-Box: Re the symbols, I hadn't thought about the rock/pop angle which, if the immanent festival is to serve as a clue, would certainly make sense.

On another note (D, actually), the little avant title music (at like 2:12-2:18 of the last episode) sounds quite a bit like the first few chords of the chorus to Blue in Green.

Last edited by Svidrigailov on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
@ Svidrigailov - yeah, I knew what you were doing, but I just found your formulation to be unfairly condescending/patronizing to those of us who were having some problems with some of the decisions made by the characters.

I'd still be fascinated to know if the creators meant for us to have an unfavourable impression of Yurika. As I say, I could be totally wrong, but I get the sense we are supposed to be cheering her. I think the show wants us to think, "yeah, you go girl - shake off your family's imprisoning expectations of you and do what you want." And actually, I do sympathize with the first bit - it's just I wish she had treated Sentaro with a bit more humanity.
Svidrigailov

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
I wasn't trying to be, but the first sentence does read that way, doesn't it. My apologies.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
I’m a bit surprised at the reactions to Jun and Yurika and all the assumptions about their personalities and motives. Almost all of their relationship went on “behind closed doors” so we don’t really know what they’re like with each other but I just don’t see their feelings as superficial and shallow.

Jun may have a reputation as a playerspoiler[ (mainly heard from a couple students who may be good guys but obviously aren’t his close friends)], but we don’t actually see that. He also has a reputation as spoiler[a firebrand communist agitator and we are at least shown that he is a reluctant participant who is supporting and not wanting to disappoint his friend, the real radical. Jun seems to be more of a moderate force who wants to change the system but was never fully behind the violent stuff.] He’s also a guy who pushes away and doesn’t involve other people if he has a choice, that’s actually pretty respectable when you consider that he’s involved in some pretty sensitive stuff that could get people in trouble if they are too closely associated with him. Being disowned may even be the best for his family- who can safely disassociate themselves from “the dangerous radical.”
As for Yurika, is she completely likable? No, but she’s not too hard to understand and I can see why she is genuinely attracted to Jun. Her spoiler[running away from home and eloping] and other actions doesn’t have to be “childish” rebellious action, she doesn’t have to be imagining some imaginary “life of the artist, if she is genuinely a rebellious person and really wants to live “the life of an artist.” You can see she’s genuinely unhappy with her life and the path set out for her, but I think you can also see from her initial reaction to Jun that she doesn’t appreciate superficial and shallow “coolness” either. She only likes him when he shows real character by diffusing that difficult situation in the bar and probably because she can see that he truly cares for his “art.”
Jun in turn, as a guy who is typically idolized by others probably initially liked her because of her disdain for him and when he came back he probably came to truly appreciate her as someone who can see his bad traits and still like him, unlike other college girls who idolized him as a heroic student protestor. It's also obvious thatspoiler[ by being disowned and pushing away those he cares about he really needed someone to support him.]
The only thing I don’t really understand is why Yurika would be so disrespectful of her friends, kept her feelings from them and confided in no one. Jun’s actions in this case are understandable, hers not so much.

And it does seem like people are forgetting that this is a Japanese period piece and that period had more going on in it than American Jazz. Modern and western notions of romantic and familial relationships can’t be used. Yurika and Jun are representations of an important counter-culture. One even more revolutionary than the counter-culture of the U.S. when you consider the role that tradition and family honor hold in Japanese society even now. You can’t just treat these characters as spoiled hippy teenagers of the American 60's. It really is scandalous stuff that they can’t return from. Yurika better be committed to Jun because there’s no turning back to her family and if Jun is a noble person at all (and there’s plenty evidence that he is) he’ll definitely do right by her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 20