• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Steamboy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle Smyth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I was in my local video store and they had a DVD copy of Steamboy. I was wondering if it is a good anime and a good DVD to add to my collection?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Here is a very long post I made regarding my thoughts after seeing the movie for the first time. Hope it helps.
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote
A side from Tony's long post, no offense. I thought it was a well thought out movie that lead to a good/long ending. Plus, it leaves you wanting more with the ending credits because they show some what of the future (I won't say what because I do not want to spoil it for you). The animation is execellent and even the dubbing seemed to be the best dubbing ever heard/seen. The beginning is a bit long and boring for my taste but whence you get into the middle of the plot it picks up real quickly with a mysteriousness as to how the story will turnout. I would diffenently recommend it as a must have. For it to be made in ten years was a huge success in my opinion.

Sorry, if I didn't give much detail in explaining but it's hard too without spoiling it but I think I gave enough for you too reach a conclusion if other people post ( if they post in my favor).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah, sorry about my exceedingly lengthy post. It was the first anime I'd watched within the span of a two month hiatus and it just got me overly excited Anime catgrin.
tomatovisiontv

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a long post for Steamboy. I had the pleasure of watching Steamboy in my local theater in Chicago. It's the only way to watch Steamboy. I like the story,about the power source, Even though superpower steam seemed far out. I let that go because the animation is so good. I went overboard a bit now I have Steamboy as a screensaver. Plus the theater was giving away posters I got several, plus postcards. I know it's to much but that's Steamboy.
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote
This thread is almost a month old why are you bringing it up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Brining a thread like this isn't that bad. Its only been a month old so I don't think the mods will care much for it.

Anyways I did write a review of it in my "Personal Review" Thread so that should be a good way to see if its worth getting.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Steamboy is a bit like Wild Wild West, but without Will Smith to lighten it up a bit. In other words, yet another disastrous attempt at Steampunk. Michael Moorcock, the acknowledged inventor of the genre, pulled it off because of his flair for the arcane and the ironic. However, Steamboy displays neither of these attributes (calling a character "Scarlett O'Hara" isn't irony, it's plagiarism). Yes, in some ways the animation is very good indeed, but ultimately it's a triumph of steam over substance.

[Edit] D*mn, didn't notice it was sooooo old (that's sarcasm, not irony btw). However, in this case bringing it back up is probably fairly pointless as the original poster was about to make a buying decision. Nevertheless, I'll let my comments stand as I think Steamboy is vastly overrated and I don't want to miss an opportunity to say so Razz

Last edited by angel_lover on Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the film when I saw it in the theater durring it's limited release. Good animation, interesting story, creative technology, entertaining action etc. I bought it the first day it came out on DVD and would highly recomend it.
remember love

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:33 pm Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Brining a thread like this isn't that bad. Its only been a month old so I don't think the mods will care much for it.

Anyways I did write a review of it in my "Personal Review" Thread so that should be a good way to see if its worth getting.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90

Yeach you should probably look in that post it talks about it quite accurately.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:32 am Reply with quote
(Ah, I see how old this thread is, but what the hell?)

It's one of those movies I wanted to like more than I actually did.

It's probably one of those anime films that's good to own if you want to put in a DVD, press the button for RANDOM chapter selection to watch a minute or two of random landmark destruction by steampunk machinery, but pretty much the entire second hour of the film is an hour-long climax that's mostly "rising action" with very, very little "falling action" and that sounds cool in theory but gets really tiresome after a while in practice.

I'm definitely glad I only rented it. I admire the technical side of the production enough to not take it back to the store should I ever receive it as a gift, but it's nothing I'd personally buy for myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animonkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Good movie, but it's not akira.
tsukinoken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quote
animonkey wrote:
Good movie, but it's not akira.

What has that got to do with anything??? Its actually made by the same guys who made Akira.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I think that was his point, as it was made by him he was expecting another Akira class movie. Now to me I thought Steamboy was better than Akira and actually liked it alot. Of course, I didn't like Akira so I guess it makes sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I still think Akira is highly over rated. Compressing hundreds of chapters of manga into one movie just doesn't do it for me. Thats also the case for the Ghost In The Shell movie.

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2