• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Seals In Naruto

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
After watching tonight's episode I was wondering, where did the idea for the hand seals come from? Were they made up or do they actually have some sort of mythological backing to them? Zabuza and Kakashi also chant so I was curious about it. Also it seems like other symbols and markings are used throughout the show spoiler[like Jiraiya's 5 point seal breaker he uses to free Naruto from Orochimaru's sealing of the nine-tails.] So does any of this come from anywhere or is it just a neat made-up gimmick?
msi435

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:04 am Reply with quote
I would assume the ideas for the hand seals came from the real art of ninjutsu. I have a book that out lines a lot of hand seals used in ninjutsu for meditation; it's pretty cool Anime smallmouth. I don't think Naruto uses the exact hand seals use in ninjutsu, but I believe the basic idea comes from that. I don't know where the other seals and symbols derived from.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:29 am Reply with quote
well... i'm not sure.. but do you mean the hand gestures? they're based off the chinese zodiac right? it's cool how they said them in japanese!
i had the captions on (which strangly was different than the actual dialogue being said was different) and it had "hitsugi, nee, ushi, etc."
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:53 am Reply with quote
Hand seals are a part of both Japanese and Chinese mythological magic, in various styles. You'll also notice Miroku using simple hand seals on Inu Yasha, as well as some minor characters in shows like Yu Yu Hakusho. I believe that the exact symbols that Kishimoto-san used are real historical hand signs, although I doubt the order he put them in came from anywhere. As the series goes on they stop calling out what the exact signs used are, so it's possible he stopped bothering and just started using whatever hand formations he thought looked cool. Wink
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:57 am Reply with quote
Kudos to Steve Blum and Dave Wittenberg on those chants. That was awesome.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Since this has to do with hand seals/gestures would it also be the same case in Flame Of Recca or is it something entirely different?

"Believe it!"

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
Kudos to Steve Blum and Dave Wittenberg on those chants. That was awesome.

I was actually wondering whether or not they were going to keep the original or have the English VA say all that; although, it would be strange to have the Japanese VA in the English dub version on CN. I also thought they would translate the entire thing into: "Horse, tiger, bird..." I agree, they did a very good job.

IchigoK90 wrote:
"Believe it!"

Stop it! Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote
All i know about the hand signs are that they're based on the animals of the chinese zodiac. But, i imagine that in the series, the different sing represent different elemental forces. as for the real world, i really don't know. and i congragulate the Dub for keeping the names in japanese.

and yes, do stop it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1