• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Anime-Related Figures Thread.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
DAYUM that Rias figure is hot. I wish I had a job and didn't have to rely on my parents for everything. But I don't even have a place to put figures anyway.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen To Love Ru, but I've heard rumblings about it. One tihng's for sure, this young lady makes me want to watch it just for her.

That is a strikingly damn good looking pose. Embarassed
The Naked Beast

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I've never seen To Love Ru, but I've heard rumblings about it. One tihng's for sure, this young lady makes me want to watch it just for her.

To Love-Ru has some really pretty girls in it and Yui Kotegawa is definitely one of them. Though, her face does not look right in that figure.

Does any one know if OtakuFuel is legitimate? I heard about them through the Retail boards. It is the only place where I can still pre-order Alter's Gertrud Barkhorn from Strike Witches. I want to order as soon as possible but would like to know if it is good to order from them.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
@ The King of Harts

Its not the end of the world, I ran into that squishy boob thing over a year ago when I got a couple of Evangelion figures with that feature. It may have been the cause of our earthquake though.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

That is a strikingly damn good looking pose. Embarassed

Always made me shake my head how the complete ecchi shows always get the best looking figures. Not that I'm that upset mind you, just saying.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote
It may be moot, but...
Oh, The King of Harts, here's a present for pre-order ready for you.
Twisted Evil

For everyone else: it's Alter's version of Stocking.

Score. Now if only they'd do the other versions.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
Oh yea, that got preordered immediately when I woke up this morning. Now I just need to wait for Panty to come in stock somewhere so I can get her, wait for Scanty to get made, and hope no one else (especially GSC) does anymore scaled figures.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
...and hope no one else (especially GSC) does anymore scaled figures.

*crushes that hope.

I want the other versions in scale, not these angel forms, thank you very much.
Razz
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote
That's the problem - I want them too! But I have so many already! I like money, Eve, but I wont have any if they keep making figures. Maybe once I actually have the show in late May/early July, my desire to have ALL the figures will lessen. Hopefully. Doubtfully.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Yoink! Just preordered the Alter Panty from HLJ. It's about $9 more than what it would've cost from AmiAmi, but I guess that's my punishment for not caving in sooner. I'm not sure if my life would've been better or worse if this show never got made.

Question: How many places do shipping estimates? I know Big in Japan and Otacute do, but if they don't have a product in-stock then you can't get an estimate. Is there another way to get estimates? It's just that I'm always battling between SAL and EMS and sometimes EMS is only a few dollars more, but sometimes it's double digits more and if I could have estimates beforehand it'd be a much simpler decision.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:39 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
That's the problem - I want them too! But I have so many already! I like money, Eve, but I wont have any if they keep making figures.

You must have temporarily forgotten who you're conversing with, newcomer. Wink

One of the most difficult (and hated) things about this hobby is passing on figures I want, and no matter what justification I give myself, there's always the "regret", especially when, next year, you submit your pictures to Shelf Life and the two Angels grace one of your shelves. That's when I say to myself "Sumbich, those look nice. Should have picked them up".

Curse you fans and your damn pictures. Wink

Quote:
Is there another way to get estimates?

Most sites will offer the weight of the package. Take this weight to the SAL/EMS websites and run a cost there.

Though, I'm curious: has your shipping rates fluctuated to the point they're really so far off? I know SAL goes by dimensions and has a few more scales in weight, but both places have a charts you can quickly look up to see where the package falls.

At any rate, Japan Post has a pretty good reference to compare all three shipping types. I would recommend padding 800 grams (just a hair under 2 lbs) to the total, as I've found this compensates certain box and packaging weights accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Biscotti was the last holdout in my pre-orders for May, and she just showed up yesterday. HS wasted no time in sending me a Paypal request, which I just paid. On Monday, I'll have 3 new figures gracing my shelves, including Barkhorn, another fantastic collection item to my Strike Witches shelf (and yes, there's a dedicated shelf for Alter's figures in this franchise).

Because of the above conversation, this was shipped for about $57 via EMS for all three figures. If they had shipped separately, it would have been $105.

Just a casual reminder to bulk ship whenever possible. That's why I hate it when pre-orders are delayed. Evil or Very Mad

Well, thanks for reading. Have a great day, kids. Razz
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You must have temporarily forgotten who you're conversing with, newcomer.

My deepest apologies, Eve-sensei.
Quote:
...you submit your pictures to Shelf Life and the two Angels grace one of your shelves.

As long as Erin does Shelf Life, you will never, ever see my pictures on there. Never. Though I may finally do a thread in the Spotlight once Stocking comes out. Wink

Quote:
Most sites will offer the weight of the package.

If it's in-stock. I do mostly preorders, and those don't have weights listed. I assume BiJ and Otacute do estimations based on figures of similar size (figma to figma, 1/6 to 1/6, etc) and leave any adding/subtracting for props or whatever to us. However, you can only do that if you add it to your cart, but you can't add it if it's not in-stock.

Now that I think about, I guess a good way to do it would be to look at other, released figures of the same ilk of what I'm preordering and make a guess from there using the EMS chart. I do the same thing when I import DVDs, so I don't know why that didn't cross my mind.

Quote:
Though, I'm curious: has your shipping rates fluctuated to the point they're really so far off? I know SAL goes by dimensions and has a few more scales in weight, but both places have a charts you can quickly look up to see where the package falls.

I don't know if it's fluctuating as much as it's always inconsistent since sometimes I get one figure, sometimes I get three, and they're all different sizes, making it hard to predict. For example: I have an order on the docket for July that contains a figma with lots of big pieces, a 1/10 Beach Queen, and a 1/8 Alter figure, so guessing the weight would be difficult. I just wish there was a list or something that says:

1/6 typically weigh X
1/7 typically weigh Z
Beach Queen's typically weigh B
Nendos typically weigh Q
Cold Cast typically weigh R
etc...
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
As long as Erin does Shelf Life, you will never, ever see my pictures on there. Never.

LOL! Maybe you can slip them in when Bamboo fills in... or... *looks at Collection thread in Subscriber forum. I'd like to see your collection, honestly. You're very... passionate for how your collection looks.

Quote:
I don't know if it's fluctuating as much as it's always inconsistent since sometimes I get one figure, sometimes I get three, and they're all different sizes, making it hard to predict.

Ah, understand now. I was under the impression you were getting quotes all over on similarly-sized packages.

But yeah, I can definitely find your situation frustrating. Ugh. Why can't Japan offer us free shipping. It's not like we're cheapskates when it comes to buying figures.
Razz
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Can you believe I just today got around to opening up the alluded-to item from my last post in this thread? Where are my priorities, right? (No, wait, new eps of Rooftop Prince take priority over everything including sleep right now). But I digress...

From AmiAmi, we have the Togainu no Chi ES Series Akira 1/8 figure by Kotobukiya:

I think I've mentioned this before but I've actually never played the TnC BL game (frankly, given the choice I'd rather play Nitro+Chiral's Lamento with all its bishonen catboys & demons). I also tapped out around ep.08 of the anime, though being so close to the end I do plan to go back and just finish it one of these days. Regardless, Akira here was just too attractive for me to pass up. He looks a lot better than the older (2006) Akira figure I have too. (And his boyfriend Shiki is on his way to me as we speak.)

In other news, also preordered/prepaid today at Big in Japan: The Tiger & Bunny Ivan Karelin Figuarts Zero Tamashii Web Shouten exclusive:
(Is it possible to photobomb a picture of oneself?)
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:30 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I'd like to see your collection, honestly. You're very... passionate for how your collection looks.

While I do love and take great pride in my collection, I'd be the first to admit it's not all that special. Aside from a few imports, there's nothing in there that you can't find on Rukiia's or Sailor S's shelves, and there's are also about three times bigger. The actual shelves that I built are probably the most special thing, but I've already showed those off. That's why I haven't done a Spotlight, though I have been considering doing one lately. Maybe once my newest shipment of figures arrive in about two weeks I'll do one.

@Poonk
Better, though he's still a little too feminine for my tastes. Laughing Also, look what MFC has as one of the Pics of the Day. I just found it to be an amusing coincidence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 58 of 111