• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I, My, Me! Strawberry Eggs questions

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aflimmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching this decent little anime last night, and I have a couple of questions that I hope somone can answer for me.

What is the difference between a sensei and a kyoshi? Some characters referred to Hibiki as sensei and some referred to him/her as Kyoshi. Do the two words mean the same thing, or does sensei have more stature than kyoshi, or what?

Where in the world does the title come from? "I, My, Me! Strawberry Eggs"?

Is it not uncommon for teachers and students to...uh..."mingle" outside of class in Japan. I have seen many anime where a teacher and a student do some things that here would get some serious jail-time, but it seems like they just get a warning and a slap on the wrist over there. Just wondering.

Thanks.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quote
aflimmer wrote:
What is the difference between a sensei and a kyoshi? Some characters referred to Hibiki as sensei and some referred to him/her as Kyoshi. Do the two words mean the same thing, or does sensei have more stature than kyoshi, or what?

教師 (kyoushi) is sort of a generic term for a teacher - the kind you find in a school classroom or P.E. class. It's related to 教室 (kyoushitsu), meaning "classroom". Think of kyoushi as meaning "(school)teacher".

先生 (sensei) is a broader term. While it also means "teacher", it is a term of deeper respect, and is used in a broader sense to refer to not only teachers but also authors, martial arts experts, etc. As an example, every crop of new students in the course for exchange students that I teach in, here in Copenhagen, will contain some Japanese students, and these will occasionally refer to me as "-san" and occasionally as "-sensei". But when they learn that I'm a published author, they invariably switch to "-sensei". It takes some getting used to, by the way - I don't feel like a "sensei"... Embarassed

In other words, these are two overlapping terms. A kyoushi need not be addressed as sensei, and a sensei isn't necessarily a kyoushi.

aflimmer wrote:
Where in the world does the title come from? "I, My, Me! Strawberry Eggs"?

It's a beautifully absurd piece of Engrish. I don't think it really means anything, but do note that there's a pun inherent in the title. "Strawberry" in Japanese is 苺 (ichigo), and "egg(s)" is 卵 (tamago), so the "Strawberry Eggs" translates into ichigo tamago.

aflimmer wrote:
Is it not uncommon for teachers and students to...uh..."mingle" outside of class in Japan. I have seen many anime where a teacher and a student do some things that here would get some serious jail-time, but it seems like they just get a warning and a slap on the wrist over there. Just wondering.

Keep wondering.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
aflimmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Great reply! Thanks for clearing those up for me abunai-sensei!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I've also heard that "kyoushi" is a more humble term for "teacher"; since "sensei" carries some connotations of "honorable master," "kyoushi" is a word that you can use in talking about yourself. That's what I do when talking about myself in Japanese and I want to say that I teach Spanish--using "sensei" on yourself when you're not an "established" master of something could sound arrogant. It's the same idea as not using -san or any other titles on yourself and using different words for your own family members vs. other people's families. There's a whole array of language issues between "self and in-group" vs. "other people and out-group" in Japanese. (Using kureru/kudasaru to express "give" for "He gave X to me" vs. ageru/sashiageru for "I gave X to him," to cite one example.)
aflimmer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Like tú versus Usted right?

I am currently taking Spanish at Auburn. I have always been facinated with luanguages and linguistics, and It has long been a desire to learn some other tounges. I want to learn Japanese as well, but I decided to start with Spanish as I already have a general knowledge of the luanguage and the culture (Soy de San Antonio, TX).

The odd thing about the class is, the professor is a Russian woman from Moscow with degrees in English, French, and Italian, and she's teaching the Spanish class...

Oh well, so far so good.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:02 am Reply with quote
hey if she can speak russian try that out...hmmm free sentence structure...from what I've heard anyway.
aflimmer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quote
Well, I don't foresee the need to learn Russian. Anyone that lives in the southern US will find a knowledge of Spanish an asset, and I guess I just want to learn Japanese for personal fulfillment.

I remember her speaking about Russian a few weeks back when we were working on sentence structure. She said that Russian is very fluid when it comes to structuring sentences and your object, action, and the subject could be in any order and still mean the same thing. Like "The dog bit the man" if you swap the subject "dog" with the object "man" around in English the man has bitten the dog, but the way Russian works, the dog has still bitten the man.

She didn't go into any real detail, but it sounds odd to my native English ears.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing that Russian has case declensions. . .special endings on words to indicate their subject or object status in a sentence. Spanish can do something similar: El perro mordió al hombre / El hombre lo mordió el perro, though the second way is far less common. (Okay, this is probably the most O/T post I've ever made here.)
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:27 pm Reply with quote
aflimmer wrote:
Well, I don't foresee the need to learn Russian. Anyone that lives in the southern US will find a knowledge of Spanish an asset, and I guess I just want to learn Japanese for personal fulfillment.

I remember her speaking about Russian a few weeks back when we were working on sentence structure. She said that Russian is very fluid when it comes to structuring sentences and your object, action, and the subject could be in any order and still mean the same thing. Like "The dog bit the man" if you swap the subject "dog" with the object "man" around in English the man has bitten the dog, but the way Russian works, the dog has still bitten the man.

She didn't go into any real detail, but it sounds odd to my native English ears.

I believe that the sentence is still dictated by how you stress the words, I also like how they do genders, its so simple.

ends in a consonant, masculine
ending in an a or a backwards R(cyrillic) are female
ending in o or e are neutral

you can actually work out which one you need to use which makes a healthy change from things like french and german in which you have to know beforehand.

well lets hope that she's a 'kharoshee oocheetyelneesta'

I do like russain words...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1