• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Queries on licensed Anime..

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victor_tok

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:06 am Reply with quote
Hi All, I had wanted to ask this question on the net,

I bought 'Fruit Basket' and IT IS NOT DUBBED IN Japanese.
Well, thats the only version I can find in my area.
Now then, if I download the japanese-dud on the internet, can I be taken that I am an owner and I can freely download it?
Or is it different cause it is in different dud?

Anyway I am only asking this question out of curiousity. U know it is not goin to affect.....
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote
The licensed US/UK(?)/Australian/other English speaking parts- versions of Fruits Basket contain the Japanese audio. Can you tell us what region these discs are in, and what company made them? Photos would be good too.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Can you tell us what region these discs are in, and what company made them? Photos would be good too.

Didn't you see that victor_tok was from Singapore? Wink

The only legit Fruit Basket R3 release I know was released by now-defunct 翔群 (sorry, I don't even have its English name...) in Taiwan. New and unopened DVDs are extremely difficuly to be found now. For Singaporean releases, Chuang Yi (创艺) has the manga but I don't know who owns the anime license and I don't expect there is one, for Singaporean government cares more about the content of anime than piracy. Ken Hayashi is the person you should look for, but I don't see him around here lately....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Didn't you see that victor_tok was from Singapore? Wink

I seriously cannot read location bits for some odd reason. It keeps on happening. Please make it stop Sad
victor_tok

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:56 am Reply with quote
Thanks All for the replies.

The company that distributs is ODEX. I don't know why the h*** it didn't include the original Japanese audio into it? Is it that difficult...

Oh, by saying that I may be 'victim' with the 'purist movement' the other forums has been recently discussing. Haha....
DVDaholic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Was it on VCD or DVD? I didn't think ODEX had released a DVD version.
victor_tok

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:33 am Reply with quote
Hmm... yes it is in VCD. Does it affect whether it is legal to download the original dub version on th net? The question is whether the dubbed version is the same as the original version, in terms of licensening.......
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
There was one legitimate Region 1 Fruits Basket DVD that was dub-only: the preview DVD with the first two episodes and some video of the Funi voice actors just hanging out and promoting Dragonball GT.

Not that that one's likely to be sold in Singapore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm familiar with ODEX, and some of the less then stellar work they do with releases. In terms of legality, Singapore is a signer of the Berne Convention, which means you have no legal claims to download a fansub, lack of Japanese dub or not. In other words, yes, you can certainly download a fansub, but no, if for some reason government officals appeared at your doorstep, you couldn't go "but I have the official release!"
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
In other words, yes, you can certainly download a fansub, but no, if for some reason government officals appeared at your doorstep, you couldn't go "but I have the official release!"

As Ken Hayashi has mentioned before (you were there too, Kazuki-san), one doesn't have to worry about that in Singapore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:28 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

As Ken Hayashi has mentioned before (you were there too, Kazuki-san), one doesn't have to worry about that in Singapore.

Yes, I still remember that. It was merely a statement of fact rather then what would likely occur. Such a thing is not likely to happen here either, but there is infinitely less of a chance there.
victor_tok

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote
Thanks dormcat-san and Kazuki-san......

Guess I am really amateuristic about it......

Anyway, Kazuki-san...which Kazuki are u named after.....the one in Getbackers or Bleach??? (I guess can't be Bleach since it is new...just curious)....
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:56 am Reply with quote
victor_tok wrote:
Thanks dormcat-san and Kazuki-san......

Guess I am really amateuristic about it......

Anyway, Kazuki-san...which Kazuki are u named after.....the one in Getbackers or Bleach??? (I guess can't be Bleach since it is new...just curious)....

Could be Kazuki Sendo from Comic Party.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1