• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Quantum of Solace

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to say that this is the second time, after it was referred to on The Daily Show a few weeks earlier, this month that I've see somebody refer to Leeroy Jenkins after years in dormancy.

It's nice to see that people still read the classics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Also, sorry, I gotta pull this one out of the meme bag. Not the title in question but still relevant: http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3894/1326608587870.jpg

dammit you made me lawl

Indeed... so what do you think of the term "galge"?
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a pretty safe catch-all
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
so what do you think of the term "galge"?

Hah, I was actually going to recommend 'galge' after reading that long syntactical debate on the page before this, but I figured that might be getting too technical.

Yes, 'galge'/'bishoujo game' (they're synonymous) or 'ren'ai game' fit well for Amagami.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Veers wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Also, sorry, I gotta pull this one out of the meme bag. Not the title in question but still relevant: http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3894/1326608587870.jpg

dammit you made me lawl

Indeed... so what do you think of the term "galge"?

Another term for bishoujo games or "gal games"... well is it more what i think of the titles?? Some of them are pretty bland and stupid or even just plain offensive "my step sister hitomi or cat girl alliance comes to mind" while other such as 11 eyes, fortune arterial, kanon, clannad are just wonderful. I don't have a problem if you use that if you really want to you are the reviewer after all and i enjoy reading what you write.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who says the CGI in .hack//SIGN is bad should watch Sakura Wars The Movie which came out the year before SIGN. The CG is clunky stiff and just a real eye sore. And that was by Production I.G.

SIGN's CGI was more limited to a few elements such as the barbell looking thing called "The Guardian" as well as some of the scenery. Not nearly as abused as any Gonzo show and blends quite seamlessly.

Quantum though certainly had some stellar animation thanks to greater leaps in technology the success of the franchise which allowed for greater budgets but I still found the CGI use pretty obvious and also a just a bit on the clunky side like the climax.

Even I gotta agree with how strange it is CC Corp keeps managing to dodge lawsuits or complete shut down. The time after .hack//SIGN and the first set of games there was a major fire at CC Corp which could explain how they managed to avoid being held responsible for the second network crisis that resulted during that story arc.

Quantum takes place long after .hack//Roots and .hack//G.U. and the Third Network Crisis from that era, so no idea how they got away with it twice that it can happen a fourth time. Maybe they have the entire Japanese Parliament in their pocket books? Laughing
rockman nes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:40 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:
Tomoki is constantly punished for his healthy adolescent interest in sex.

Thank you! That is one of the reasons why I have a difficult time with ecchi titles.

It bothers me in Love Hina when the protagonist gets punched and called a "pervert" for doing something that by definition isn't perverted, but rather, is something any heterosexual guy would be interested in. I mean I know that's the joke, or... I hope that's the joke? Maybe it used to be the joke, and it's not anymore.

I just wish that genre and it's more hardcore fans would disappear forever.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Anyone who says the CGI in .hack//SIGN is bad should watch Sakura Wars The Movie which came out the year before SIGN. The CG is clunky stiff and just a real eye sore. And that was by Production I.G.

Actually I did see at least the second half of the Sakura Wars movie once, at Otakon, possibly the 35mm print in 2002 or 2003. I don't remember the CG being bad, but I was also watching the movie close to when it was made...
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:04 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:
Tomoki is constantly punished for his healthy adolescent interest in sex.

Thank you! That is one of the reasons why I have a difficult time with ecchi titles.

It bothers me in Love Hina when the protagonist gets punched and called a "pervert" for doing something that by definition isn't perverted, but rather, is something any heterosexual guy would be interested in. I mean I know that's the joke, or... I hope that's the joke? Maybe it used to be the joke, and it's not anymore.

I just wish that genre and it's more hardcore fans would disappear forever.

I can probably write up a scholarly defence of Love Hina here, but as much as I'm one of the few around here who respect the show, it probably doesn't deserve it. I *will* say that Love Hina "gets" the idea of gender wars in a way other similar anime do not. The Looney Tunes/Itchy and Scratchy violence in LH really adds a lot to the show's overall "Love is War" theme, whereas other anime of the same genre are mostly just satisfied with slapping the main character and staying within the realm of realism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6