• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Quantum of Solace

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyrai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
Erin wrote:

The only character I didn't care for was Shamrock, a sort-of-FBI-like agent investigating the same mystery. In game, she's a 10-year-old gothic Lolita, but out of game she's a voluptuous office lady. I didn't care for her hollow characterization, but I liked Stephanie Young playing her in the dub.

Shamrock was a pretty weak point, and she came off as intended to be a "Hey, look, someone from the previous series is on screen right now!" so they just dumped any possible characterization for her to the curb and assumed you'd be familiar with her from spoiler[//GU or //Roots]
She's spoiler[Pi/Ender]
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:18 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
You mean like your obviously blatantly misogynistic and she's not by nature, is that it?

That was pretty uncalled for.
I was just saying that I felt differently than her about the show. There's no need to start labeling me a misogynist just because I like HLP.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
CardcaptorKitty wrote:
Hey, I just noticed that the "shelf obsessed" bit this week is the same as the Vanillia ICE one back on February the 13th. I thought those shelves looked familiar! Wink

I thought so too! I would probably never notice on any other collection but having physical copies of Umineko and Tomoyo After is a rather distinctive bit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:42 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
Then again, I believe that B Gata H Kei performed very poorly in Japan, so I have no idea.
I imagine the hardcore otaku were pissed that the voice of Nanoha Takamachi and Rika Furude was being "tainted" by expressing an interest in sex.

Actually, that's not that unbelievable a theory. I know I should be respectful to something that's part of my fandom, but honestly, isn't a bit creepy and weird to get possessive over people like that? I've never really understood the whole "idol" culture there, and "Perfect Blue" made me incredibly weary of it... :S
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
here-and-faraway wrote:
Quote:
Tomoki is constantly punished for his healthy adolescent interest in sex.

Thank you! That is one of the reasons why I have a difficult time with ecchi titles.

It bothers me in Love Hina when the protagonist gets punched and called a "pervert" for doing something that by definition isn't perverted, but rather, is something any heterosexual guy would be interested in. I mean I know that's the joke, or... I hope that's the joke? Maybe it used to be the joke, and it's not anymore.

Actually, in Love Hina, it was more "punch the guy who appeared to be spying on girls who were changing, bathing, etc.". There's nothing wrong with being showing an interest in women that way, but they still have a right to privacy. The problem is that it quickly became obvious amongst the female characters that Keitaro was just always "in the wrong place at the wrong time", had his hand out without looking so beast-groping was unintentional, etc. Naru, however, seemed to ignore and kept punching Keitaro constantly (maybe she has anger issues?), she even did once after she jumped into a bathtub he was already in and grabbed HIS unmentionables! Double standard much, Naru? It's why she's one of my least favorite anime characters of all time. The rest of the cast is good or tolerable, but Naru (the anime version anyway) just sucks. Thankfully Ken Akamatsu's next series Negima! had a much better female lead in Asuna.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
Quote:
Amagami SS is perhaps the most blatant dating simulation game adaptation I've ever seen.

This should mean automatic perishable, dunno why you refused to pull the flusher Erin. Mad
I've never seen anyone call an anime "the most blatant manga adaptation I've ever seen" or "the most blatant light novel adaptation I've ever seen" and dismiss it outright, so why should dating sim adaptations be treated any differently?

It's a dating sim. That should be reason enough.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:26 am Reply with quote
No real surprise there with Erin and HLP. I had a feeling that it would be in the perishable shelf.

I cannot really agree with Erin about HLP since I do like HLP though I did have a few issues with it, but nothing that makes it a bad series as a whole. I did not like the music in HLP as the OP and the ED's were only the good songs in the series. I was not about trying to mix comedy and drama as I felt it did not work that well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
It's kind of sad that a lot of shows exist with subservient women, or where women get to play second banana to the male protagonist.

I have no comments on HLP which I haven't seen, but a main character--male or female--should never get upstaged by supporting cast members for political or social reasons. Unless, of course, the gimmick of the show is that the protagonist constantly gets upstaged.
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:40 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
Quote:
Amagami SS is perhaps the most blatant dating simulation game adaptation I've ever seen.

This should mean automatic perishable, dunno why you refused to pull the flusher Erin. Mad
I've never seen anyone call an anime "the most blatant manga adaptation I've ever seen" or "the most blatant light novel adaptation I've ever seen" and dismiss it outright, so why should dating sim adaptations be treated any differently?

VNs and dating sims are not the same thing (though there is overlap). Persona 4 is a dating sim. Love Plus is a dating sim. I haven't played Amagami but I was under the impression that it's actually a VN, more like Fate/Stay Night, not a dating sim.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
Quote:

That's not a reason, that's a personal bias.
Feel free to try again if you'd like, why should dating sim adaptations be treated any differently?
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
Quote:

That's not a reason, that's a personal bias.
Feel free to try again if you'd like, why should dating sim adaptations be treated any differently?

The funniest part about this whole issue is that we're not even talking about a dating sim, we're talking about an anime. It's source medium should be completely irrelevant to any re/view of it.

On a related note: I'm genuinely curious how many female fans there are of Amagami SS? Any females care to speak up about the series one way or the other?
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
It's kind of sad that a lot of shows exist with subservient women, or where women get to play second banana to the male protagonist.

I have no comments on HLP which I haven't seen, but a main character--male or female--should never get upstaged by supporting cast members for political or social reasons. Unless, of course, the gimmick of the show is that the protagonist constantly gets upstaged.
You are correct, that's the point of them being secondary characters after all. I misspoke (mistyped?): there are too many shows where women are relegated to only being side characters, or shows where women are the protagonists yet constantly get stripped of power/outranked by secondary male characters. As a dude, it kind of upsets me seeing that, considering a good portion of my friends are women and they're equally as capable of holding their own academically and physically in different situations. Sorry for not clarifying my point a bit more, and I appreciate you calling my error. ;P

While sometimes I feel that Erin jumps the gun by calling something "sexist" or "pandering", I am in agreement that too many shows fall into this unfortunate pattern. If one looks at historical gender roles in Japanese culture (up until the past 100 or so years, really), it's plain to see clear distinction and discrimination against women, with an emphasis on them being servants to men. This disgusts me completely, and the fact that such an ugly, misguided mentality infests so much anime makes me mad.

A good example of a show that avoids this is "The Familiar of Zero", in which both Louise and Saito end up being equally as useful and useless given the situation. Despite some fairly cliche trappings and use of fan service to attract a core audience, that show is one of the best examples of gender equality I've seen in anime. Others include personal favorites such as "Slayers", "Seirei no Moribito" and "Eden of the East." Smile While I'm down for a dumb, fan-service title as much as anybody, sexist overtones sicken me. That's why "Love Hina" is one of my favorite series: plenty of eye candy, plenty of fun raunchiness, but never attempts to put the women in their "place."

Sorry for the rant ^^"
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I don't get how SnO is misogynistic. Tomoki has no interest in treating Ikoros and Nymph as slaves. he's very nice to both of them, in spite of the fact that he could order Ikaros to do ANYTHING and she would do it, no questions asked....
Ikoros' dead eyes are a plot point, for those to lazy to watch the show and just bash it after reading a review. [/list]

It would seem to me that a part of the misogynistic nature of the show is the fact that this perverted guy could order Ikaros to do ANYTHING and she would do it. The misogyny is not necessarily in the actions, but in the theme and/or set up. This is very similar, in my opinion, to the arguments made about misogyny in Chobits. You have the same kind of trope being used. An unbelievably beautiful, sexy girl "falling into" the hands of some "nice guy" who has the usual anime nice guy sexual repressions, and the girl is an absolute and unquestioning submissive to the guy. Whether or not the dead eyes are used as a plot point, they fit that same trope we've seen time and time again. As an author, you can keep using a popular misogynist trope and explain it away with clever plot points, but that likely doesn't change the fact that it is the same trope playing out again and again.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
bravetailor wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:

You are correct, that's the point of them being secondary characters after all. I misspoke (mistyped?): there are too many shows where women are relegated to only being side characters, or shows where women are the protagonists yet constantly get stripped of power/outranked by secondary male characters. As a dude, it kind of upsets me seeing that, considering a good portion of my friends are women and they're equally as capable of holding their own academically and physically in different situations. Sorry for not clarifying my point a bit more, and I appreciate you calling my error. ;P

No worries, I just felt I had to put it in this thread anyway, because I know there are some who would object to a male protagonist saving a female support because it's not "feminist." I have no problem with James Bond because his movies are about him and it's male fantasy anyway. That franchise knows who the target audience is and delivers exactly what they want. Nothing wrong with that.

But I completely agree with you when a female protagonist gets undercut by a supporting male character. Once or twice is okay, but if it happens regularly, it gets annoying. It's no wonder that the episodes Sailor Moon is best known for is when Tuxedo Kamen finally becomes weaker than Sailor Moon.

I had huge problems with Escaflowne because of how passive Hitomi was for the entire series. I know she's just a regular girl, but still...you'd think the writers would give her something to do. Twelve Kingdoms managed to sidestep Yoko's lack of real fighting ability with a minor fix without damaging her credibility, so something like that could have been done that with Hitomi too. After all, she's the friggin main character, she should do SOMETHING.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, I thought Hitomi was a real good character who did plenty of important things. Even if none of them involved swinging around a sword. Hell, her seer powers saved Van's ass plenty of times...she rescues him just as much as he rescued her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6