• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chihayafuru (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
So according to this episode, spoiler[the former queen Yumi Yamamoto met the current queen Shinobu Wakamiya and got annihilated. And not only that, Chihaya loses her 2nd match in the tournament. Oh dear, now that rematch against Shinobu just went straight to hell. Unless, ofc they meet again someday.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Gods, why do I foresee a bloody Saki ending to this? At least the ending of Princess Nine was... something.... This appears to be doomed to a limbo nonconclusion.]

And thus, I remember why I hate sports anime.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
What happened to this show? Seriously.

This was one of the best shows I was watching and it just (as of episode 22) turned into the most sub-par piece of garbage I've seen in the past year. Ok, maybe that's a bit melodramatic. But, screw it. What kind of show leads you on and then just destroys everything going for it 3 episodes before the "supposed" end? (I say supposed because we never knew how many episodes of this there were at the beginning. For all we know it goes on 10 more seasons.)

Rant incoming...

I understand trials. I understand showing the main character losing spoiler[- even as much as Chihaya did. But did they really THINK that the show would continue being good when they beat the main character down so much? This was supposed to be a feel good, motivational type show (that was the impression I got anyways) and it's turned into "watch Chihaya get her butt kicked repeatedly".] That wears on people. Seriously.

I was interested in this show for the good feelings. And that's just been completely sucked out of it.

And, furthermore... spoiler[episodes end with Arata and then he never shows up in the next one.] It's freaking exhausting. I understand showing strife when characters are separated. I'm one of those people who believes that absence makes the heart grow fonder (worked for me and my husband) and that paths will inevitably cross again - especially if you're working toward the same goal. But spoiler[where the heck is he? He's a freaking main character who never shows up!] It's downright annoying. spoiler[I thought that he would surely show up at this point in the show, but it's still the same introspective garbage from him that's been going on since like episode 12.] The best part of the entire show was when she and Taichi spoiler[went and saw Arata]. That was like episode 4, maybe as late as 6. Each episode had something nice to offer and then, after like episode 15 it just got stupid. There. I said it. It got stupid.

After that massive recap, they just ruined the whole thing. The recap not only interrupted the pacing, but it practically divides the series into the "good part" and the "bad part". I could have stopped watching when she spoiler[lost to the Queen] and been much happier. Back then, I was ok with spoiler[her losing] but all of this back and forth with winning and losing and just dragging the storyline through pointless, for lack of a better word, dirt is just outright stupid.

They've gone from building characters to introducing and dismissing them like a monster of the week show. Even the main characters' stories are starting to stagnate at this point. Sure, they have realizations. But Taichi and everyone else were just sideline characters that game. Providing commentary, like all sports or card shows. It doesn't have to be that way. The show can still be about overcoming hardships and feel good.

If you're going to make a show about personal growth, then make it at least feel good. Think about the freaking audience for once and stop thinking about how to make things even more twisted and dramatic. That's where things just get all messed up.

At this point, I hope the series finds a way to revive itself. But I don't see that happening unless there's some other type of rule that the viewer doesn't know about yet because the writer saved that for this drastic moment.

And one more thing... spoiler[they can contest cards? And no one has done that yet? Really? That just seems like a big pile of bull. It also seems like cheating. What a lack luster episode.]

I'm done with this show at episode 25. If they make a second season, there is absolutely no way I'm watching it.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just so annoyed with what has become of this show. It had so much going for it and now it's just a bore to watch. All the excitement and good feelings have just dwindled into nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:55 pm Reply with quote
@ Bento-box: Aww, I imagined your emotional face while reading your post (Not that I know what you look like). If there's anything we can do to make you feel better...

As for my thoughts: they are probably just going to make the series stop, but I'd rather have that than an unfitting ending, made up just because it otherwise wouldn't have one. The show's slated for 24 episodes, but that is probably not because it should've been that long - it didn't have any guarantee that it would bring up the money that was put in the project. Aside from the recap, I think the show's one of the best in characterisation, development, animation, art, music, drama and comedy.

It is actually a lot more realistic that spoiler[Chihaya fails again.] Sure, it's a disappointment - but a lot of shounen heroes can take lessons spoiler[from her later in what it truly means to have worked hard for your dream.] Even if this episode was quite a downer for the audience, who spoiler[wanted Chihaya to win, the previous queen sure was easy to relate to. She had worked so hard all her life and struggled with high expectations.]

(This week's episode has been the only one to provoke discussion, that's weird Wink )
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:

And one more thing... spoiler[they can contest cards? And no one has done that yet? Really? That just seems like a big pile of bull. It also seems like cheating. What a lack luster episode.]

Actually, this has occurred at least 2 times that I can recall. spoiler[Tsukue-kun contested a card during a team match. And I believe the Queen briefly contested a card against Chihaya (it might have been someone else, but this wasn't the first time that one of Chihaya's opponents contested a card against her).]

Personally, I love never knowing if spoiler[Chihaya will win or lose]. I haven't been quite as amped the last few episodes (felt like the energy level dropped a bit), but I do love how unpredictable everything is.

Also, the idea of Kana spoiler[becoming a reader] has me so excited. How perfect for her.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Bento-Box wrote:

Actually, this has occurred at least 2 times that I can recall. spoiler[Tsukue-kun contested a card during a team match. And I believe the Queen briefly contested a card against Chihaya (it might have been someone else, but this wasn't the first time that one of Chihaya's opponents contested a card against her).]

Ah, the other times seemed more plausible than this episode's ones. Maybe that's why they didn't stand out. But, this girl was being spoiler[incredibly loud and disruptive about it and it wasn't like she was right either. She was just doing it to, well, get under Chihaya's skin and to win. Sounds an awful lot like cheating to me.]

Quote:
Personally, I love never knowing if spoiler[Chihaya will win or lose]. I haven't been quite as amped the last few episodes (felt like the energy level dropped a bit), but I do love how unpredictable everything is.

I used to like that about the show but it has gotten old. And, with the final episodes coming up... I'm just not feeling it anymore.

Quote:
Also, the idea of Kana spoiler[becoming a reader] has me so excited. How perfect for her.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Best thing to happen this episode.

@ A Mystery - LOL Yes, I was very emotional. And, I'll be posting a pic of myself here soon. Prolly make it my profile pic. Anyways... I agree with you on shonen characters could learn a lot from her. I just think there are better ways to get a point across and show hardship, struggle, and loss. I think this show did a great job of that early on but it's losing its edge and is starting to be rather boring.

There are several reasons this episode is sparking so much discussion.
1. This was the last chance to qualify.
2. Plot has been building up to a Chihaya win to push her to the finals against the Queen spoiler[which didn't happen]
3. Rival Karuta Societies were facing off in this match, although you didn't know about that until the start of the episode. So there's a sub plot.
4. Only a few episodes left - people are expecting SOMETHING to happen.

Personally, I'm ready for the conclusion. I'm tired of this post-recap lull. In the words of Monty Python: "Get on with it already!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Of course, the big question... spoiler[Will she shave her head?]
Rolling Eyes <--- Not rolling eyes, it's Chihaya, looking up.

I figure if the show/season didn't end like this then the criticism would be the opposite, that it was all too easy. And it would have been a valid criticism.

Not to say the current problem isn't valid. We want to see them spoiler[win, we want the show to end on a good point], but I prefer to let it match the story it is adapting and hope for a continuation further down the road.

But then, I had realistic expectations that this would probably not end with a resolved plot, not with an adaptation of an unfinished source... and it looks like the current episode only reaches half of what is currently published.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Considering that Chihaya went from losing to Shinobu by 15+ cards spoiler[to losing to Yumin by 4 cards (they would have been practically even if not for that double fault), I'd say that this episode showed that her growth as a player in not just relying on her natural born talent (her hearing and quickness) has made vast improvements over a very short time period. Heck, the main reason why she lost was that she got too cocky. She actually thought that she could hold the former Queen from taking a single card from her. She overestimated her own strength, and then when Yumin started challenging her when it came to taking cards on Yumin's side, all that overconfidence was the cause of Chihaya's downfall. And by the way the episode ended, it seems that (most likely Taichi) someone will have to help Chihaya pick herself back up in the next episode]

For those who expected this to wrap up neatly in the 25 episodes, it was never going to happen. We're only around halfway in terms of existing manga content, and new manga chapters are written every week! Pretty much just enjoy whatever it is we get and show gratitude that the anime even got this far, because josei anime adaptations are not common at all, and the amount of effort Madhouse has put into this show despite knowing that this isn't a show that will sell a lot of BD/DVDs is stunning.

Chihayafuru remains my favorite currently airing show, and the latest episode only strengthened that feeling. If this was any lesser show, the main character would have just steamrolled the former Queen like she wasn't any competition at all.
333dulucia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Bento-Box wrote:

There are several reasons this episode is sparking so much discussion.
1. This was the last chance to qualify.
2. Plot has been building up to a Chihaya win to push her to the finals against the Queen spoiler[which didn't happen]
3. Rival Karuta Societies were facing off in this match, although you didn't know about that until the start of the episode. So there's a sub plot.
4. Only a few episodes left - people are expecting SOMETHING to happen.

Personally, I'm ready for the conclusion. I'm tired of this post-recap lull. In the words of Monty Python: "Get on with it already!"

I agree with that. I have been watching this series since the beginning and this episode was just depressing. Mostly because there are only 2/3 episodes left till the ending. I really hope it will get an ending!

There is also a manga and from what I have read the anime closely follows the storyline of the manga and the manga is still not finished (correct me if I'm wrong). So there is a big possibility that the anime will get more seasons or an unsatisfactory ending.

A thing I noticed from the series is that every episode has a "highlight" even if Chihaya lost there was always something to make up for it. In this episode there was only the match which she lost miserably and nothing more (only a very depressing Chihaya at the end). Maybe that's why it feels worse than all the other cases.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

For those who expected this to wrap up neatly in the 25 episodes, it was never going to happen. We're only around halfway in terms of existing manga content, and new manga chapters are written every week!

jinx!

Quote:
Pretty much just enjoy whatever it is we get and show gratitude that the anime even got this far, because josei anime adaptations are not common at all, and the amount of effort Madhouse has put into this show despite knowing that this isn't a show that will sell a lot of BD/DVDs is stunning.

IDK, it's an award winning shojo manga (no one's pregnant, dead, been cheated on, anorexic, etc.) with a humor that promises cross-over appeal, I think it has a good chance to continue.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Read up on the the magazine Chihayafuru is serialized in.

If it were shoujo then there would be all that terrible (for me, good for some) romantic tension that is always in shoujo series. And since romance isn't the main attraction, heck, it's barely a blip on the radar, this is much more josei.

I'll remind you that nobody was pregnant, dead, had been cheated on, or anorexic in Nodame Cantabile. It was just one person who desperately wanted to accomplish his dreams (Chiaki) and a girl who was so infatuated with Chiaki that she simply stuck with him, eventually developing her own passion for what she wanted to do. Sounds kind of like Chihayafuru with a swap of the genders, no?
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Sounds kind of like Chihayafuru with a swap of the genders, no?

Hahahaha Very Happy What would Taichi think if he discovered he's being compared to Nodame...

I'll secretly hope the series will one day continue.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
The more time since watching this episode, the more annoyed I have become.
Going from memory, starting with the trip to Nationals, Chihaya has gone spoiler[1 and 5 in official matches and matches not against club members, with the only win against a gradeschool girl who she made cry.] Not very impressive. If she is spoiler[thrown for a loop that easy by events not going her way, how in the world did she ever get to A status]? Was it a fluke?
Add in that the manner of her spoiler[loss in the latest episode was triggered by outside interference, and such a big point was made about the King/Queen qualifier that there could be NO interference to the point that air conditioning would be turned off], and there is little to be excited about.
I guess sspoiler[he could be awarded the match due to the other team's rules violation, but then advancing in such a manner would be so unsatisfying, and she would get smoked in the next match anyway].

And that is the state where this show appears it will end.

I could be wrong, but with just 3 episodes left, it appears they have left little chance for an enjoyable conclusion given spoiler[Chihaya's utter devastation at the end of the match].
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
She won two matches at Nationals before facing Shinobu. They just weren't really shown.

She got A-rank status because beating B-rank players is completely different than beating A-rank players. There are a lot of baseball hitters who absolutely destroy minor league pitching for instance, but once they reach the majors they can barely get on base. Major league pitching is completely different. Same with B-rank and A-rank karuta. There is a wide skill gap.
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who likes the fact that this is how real top-level competition would be? Chihaya's been skating by on her physical abilities for six years, which works against standard opponents, but now she's facing essentially world-class players where the gap in physical ability can be overcome with other skills. She's never bothered to develop other weapons, and now she's paying for it.
Megiddo wrote:
Considering that Chihaya went from losing to Shinobu by 15+ cards spoiler[to losing to Yumin by 4 cards (they would have been practically even if not for that double fault), I'd say that this episode showed that her growth as a player in not just relying on her natural born talent (her hearing and quickness) has made vast improvements over a very short time period. Heck, the main reason why she lost was that she got too cocky. She actually thought that she could hold the former Queen from taking a single card from her. She overestimated her own strength, and then when Yumin started challenging her when it came to taking cards on Yumin's side, all that overconfidence was the cause of Chihaya's downfall. And by the way the episode ended, it seems that (most likely Taichi) someone will have to help Chihaya pick herself back up in the next episode]
spoiler[Yumi basically gave herself something like a 10 card handicap though. Chihaya realized that she was being arrogant fairly quickly, I think, but let herself get rattled. Her inexperience is showing; she doesn't have a lot of practice against people who are on her level or that will try to pressure her mentally. She's surprisingly fragile in the latter regard.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16