• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hunter X Hunter (TV 2011).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
a proper talkback thread was opened since this one. Just a little down the page:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=908002

[EDIT: Merged the 2 threads, albeit with some out-of-order chronology. -TK]

[Edit by me: Nice! I knew this originally could have been the talkback thread if it had only only included the proper name and first page link- SP]

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
How things go now?

Does anyone watch the new series?

Are you satisfied with the shortcuts?

As a longtime fan of HxH, I think that it's been fantastic. What shortcuts are you referring to?
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing he's referring to cutting some parts of the anime to save time(since it's a remake of an anime everyone's seen already afterall).

I'm still a bit worried that they didn't introduce Kaito yet...he's quite an important character due to later events.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
I'm guessing he's referring to cutting some parts of the anime to save time(since it's a remake of an anime everyone's seen already afterall).

I'm still a bit worried that they didn't introduce Kaito yet...he's quite an important character due to later events.

well it was said that awhile back that they just moved it to later on.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
I want to use this thread to also discuss something interesting regarding the series up to this point.

When first watching this version of Hunter x Hunter, opening theme included, how did you view the characters?

I disliked the opening at first because of how childish and generic it made all of the characters/series seem. And then I loved it for that very reason. The tone of the opening theme sort of matches the same light-hearted feel present in the first six volume covers and some of the chapter covers:

(Hint: This last image is actually really important to understanding another thing that Togashi tries to do with Gon's character. Try to figure it out; although I'll make a topic about it eventually.)

The characters initially seem two-dimensional or shallow; based upon familiar archetypes that are present in most shonen series. The stalwart, determined underdog of a protagonist. His dark and troubled anti-hero best friend. The noble sole survivor of a warrior clan. The shirker of a big-brother to the group whom typically mostly exists for comic relief. And a creepy, deadly villain.

However, as the writing progresses, Togashi will start to develop his characters in unconventional ways. The 2011 series has already started to illustrate some of the ways in which Gon, Killua, Leorio, and Hisoka might be thoroughly deeper than those surface descriptions.

Gon's differences aren't entirely apparent yet, and so I won't go into those. But I will mention that his choice to use Leorio and Kurapika as bait was something that Togashi wanted perceptive readers to pick up on, whereas people reading fast won't take it into consideration. Thus far, there have been at least seven episodes in the 2011 series that have foreshadowed immense things regarding Gon's character--but they're very subtle.

Leorio has already proved that despite his missteps, he is actually resourceful, kind, and determined. He might even be the first person in the series to show depth that readers might not have initially perceived. Originally seen as a selfish, useless man whom only cares about money. But his true goal is to become a licensed Hunter in order to gain the money required of becoming philanthropic doctor.

Hisoka is strange because viewers at this point still don't fully understand his motives/personality. What does he really want?

Killua's is a bit more complex, yet it's only starting in motion. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that he's probably been the most impressive character in the Hunter Exam, in terms of things that we've seen on-screen. Viewers see him as cool and dangerous/mysterious, but also a potential threat due to the extreme acts of violence we've seen him commit.¹

In this episode, viewers are given agency to his true desires for the first time. Killua lies a lot during the Hunter Exam. He isn't typically an open book; Killua hides his actual wants through his charm (as stated in episode 7).

Before episode 20, I don't think it would be a stretch to assume that most viewers thought of Killua to mostly be a cool, strong assassin. But against Illumi, he states that he "[wants] to be friends with Gon. [Killua is] fed up with killing. [He] wants to live a normal life."

Isn't that interesting? Killua, initially conceived to be the dark anti-hero best friend (which I should mention is a very common and popular personality-type in anime/manga), wishes to renounce that very same identity. He's almost directly stating to readers that he doesn't want to follow their expectations. Despite the fact that readers like Killua for his darker traits (and young kids might even want to be like him because of that coolness), he would rather live a life akin to the reader's own.

As you watch this series, I would suggest that you pay close attention to the things all of the characters say. In Hunter x Hunter, you need to take the characters' actions seriously. Always think to yourself "if I saw this occurring in real life, how would I feel about the situation?"

--
References:
1. "This was damned good fun. Not a single episode went by where I didn't gasp out loud at least once. Especially once the series started focusing on Killua, everyone's (read: my) favorite assassin. Even after almost 20 episodes, it's still hard to believe that some skateboarding punk can be such a fearless and ruthless killer. Every time he gets screen time, I get excited, because I know something crazy will happen." - Bamboo Dong; Animenewsnetwork
ayben-24

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:26 am Reply with quote
1- Graphic: worse than the first anime. even if it's with HD quality the graphic is no good. it's not faithful to the old série.

2- OST : we don't have OST in the new Anime!!!! Oh my god!!!!!! it's too bad and worse!!!!!!! we only lesten to the personnages talking all the anime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!but the first anime of hunter x hunter is full of pretty OST.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
My god, just from those covers alone, HxH sure changed a lot.

As for this anime, definitely not a fan of the background music and OP theme of the new anime. Though to be fair, I wasn't that big a fan of the OP until they get to York Shin city anyways.

But I sure miss this sweet-ass background music. I miss it so so much. It was probably one of the most distinctive bgm I've ever heard. Crying or Very sad

Quote:
However, as the writing progresses, Togashi will start to develop his characters in unconventional ways. The 2011 series has already started to illustrate some of the ways in which Gon, Killua, Leorio, and Hisoka might be thoroughly deeper than those surface descriptions.

If I were to take a guess, I would say what sets Togashi's characters apart from typical shonen characters is pragmatism.

Rather than doing everything heroically and right, almost every major character in this show is actually quite a pragmatist. There are plenty of examples shown later on. But as a good examle I can think of that's shown so far, try to remember how Gon managed to take Hisoka's tag. In order to get it, he did something that would be considered outright villainous if it were a more typical shonen series.

I find it funny how the villains have quite a few heroic qualities though.

Anyways, new episode. Huh, haven't seen the anime for so long, I completely forgot that the spoiler[Exam arc] isn't technically over until a long time from now.
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
My god, just from those covers alone, HxH sure changed a lot.

As for this anime, definitely not a fan of the background music and OP theme of the new anime. Though to be fair, I wasn't that big a fan of the OP until they get to York Shin city anyways.

But I sure miss this sweet-ass background music. I miss it so so much. It was probably one of the most distinctive bgm I've ever heard. Crying or Very sad

Quote:

If I were to take a guess, I would say what sets Togashi's characters apart from typical shonen characters is pragmatism.

Rather than doing everything heroically and right, almost every major character in this show is actually quite a pragmatist. There are plenty of examples shown later on. But as a good examle I can think of that's shown so far, try to remember how Gon managed to take Hisoka's tag. In order to get it, he did something that would be considered outright villainous if it were a more typical shonen series.

I find it funny how the villains have quite a few heroic qualities though.

Anyways, new episode. Huh, haven't seen the anime for so long, I completely forgot that the spoiler[Exam arc] isn't technically over until a long time from now.

I understand what you are trying to say, but regardless if you dislike the op and background music the ending song is very good in my opinion.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
At first the OP bothered me a bit but it has grown on me a lot. It really sets the tone of the beginning of the series too. Also a fan of the ending as I am a metal head and always like when I see it in my anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
So is anyone familiar with the japanese market? I'm curious, but how well is this HunterxHunter doing both commercially and critically(among viewers)?

I'm hoping it's doing well enough to warrant more seasons so they can animate later chapters. On the other hand...it's a tad risky to remake the entire season from the very start.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
So is anyone familiar with the japanese market? I'm curious, but how well is this HunterxHunter doing both commercially and critically(among viewers)?

I'm hoping it's doing well enough to warrant more seasons so they can animate later chapters. On the other hand...it's a tad risky to remake the entire season from the very start.

It gets pretty consistent ratings and considering a movie was recently announced its safe to say it should have no issues getting renewed
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
There are a few things that I want to mention in regard to the newest episode.

I think that the scene in the beginning of the episode showing what Gon is thinking about in regard to Killua is very well placed. We don't know too much about how deeply Gon feels about certain situations until after he's had time to wind down. Case in point, his conversation with Kurapika at the end of the Fourth Phase: this is the first time in which we see Gon cry in the series.

But this episode pointed towards something different. I don't think it will be much of a spoiler for me to say that this is the last time in which we'll see Mike during the arc (and possibly the last time in the entire series).

Viewers of the old HxH might remember Gon coming face-to-face with the beast in a second confrontation and having to run from him in a chase sequence. That won't happen at all in this version. So my question to you is the following: what purpose did this scene serve in the larger narrative?

Backing up a bit, Gon had been angered by the Zoldyck butler's comments about Killua not having any friends (the same as Illumi, actually).

This is the second time in which Gon has gotten angry thus far in Hunter x Hunter--the first time being the last few minutes of episode 16. But the way in which he reacts isn't exactly...normal.

He decides to climb the Testing Gate. Despite seeing two men being killed by the Zoldyck guard dog earlier in the day, Gon throws caution to the wind and makes his way up. Despite the fact that he's breaking and entering onto the property of the world's most dangerous and notorious family of assassins, he still goes forth and fully intends to climb it--Gon gets several feet off the ground before he decides to stop.

Some would call this courageous. The song playing during this scene is actually called "Boys Be Courageous!" and has thus far mostly played during moments of great valor. But Hunter x Hunter doesn't want you to think of this action as such. How do we know?

The fear. We see Gon's confidence shattered in front of him.

This is the second time in which we've seen Gon genuinely afraid in the entire series as well. The first time was ALSO in episode 16, during that mysterious night with Hisoka. Pay attention to the things that Zebro says to Gon. What is Zebro trying to teach the boy through showing him Mike in person? What does Gon see in the abyss of Mike's eyes?

Come to think about it, how many times thus far have we seen Gon's confidence in himself being shattered in the series? You can already count several occasions in which it happened throughout the Hunter Exam--episode 5, episode 16, episode 19. Gon will be praised for his abilities in one episode and then be completely destroyed by someone else in the next (i.e. Netero praises Gon for his speed in episode 7 and Sedokan does so in episode 9--in episode 19, Gon can't even take a single step without being completely outclassed).

Keep watching for more. The next episode covers one of my favorite chapters in the early parts of HxH.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
it's a tad risky to remake the entire season from the very start.

well the original anime wrapped up 10 years ago. not sure how long you are supposed to wait before doing a remake but that seems long enough. so no point in rushing when you got a whole new audience to work with.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The fear. We see Gon's confidence shattered in front of him.

I completely forgot about these episodes from previous anime except the barest information. But I don't remember Gon being as afraid of Mike as he was in this one.

Aanyways, episode 23. I actually kinda liked it.

Did they make the 50 kg door joke in the previous anime? They also gave Killua's mother quite a bit more lines and personality. They actually had her showing an obvious favouritism towards Killua, unlike the previous anime where it's just mentioned, that's certainly a welcome change. Another difference is only Gon went up against that girl, whereas she actually fought all 3 of them in the old anime.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But I don't remember Gon being as afraid of Mike as he was in this one.

Well he was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 52