• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The "Redline Effect"--have you ever gotten it?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Hello.

I've been noticing an...."effect", for lack of a better term. I name it the "Redline Effect", because it stems from that movie.

I just bought and watched the movie Redline a few days ago. It's an absolutely amazing movie, first of all. Every self-respecting anime fan (or even fan of animation in general) should see it. Seriously, it's that damn good.

However, after watching it, I noticed something: I cannot look at any normal anime without noticing the animation. The animation of Redline is so jaw-droppingly amazing, that I try to watch "normal" anime and the first thing I think is "Holy shit, this animation is terrible. Why are the backgrounds so detail-less?! Why are the characters barely moving!? Why is it so cheap-looking?!"

Redline has basically made it impossible for me to watch anime now. Or at least, I always have that "this animation is awful" thing niggling in the back of my mind. Now, it will probably go away after say, a few weeks, but still. So, I wonder: Have you ever felt the same way after watching an extremely well-animated movie/anime (any movie/anime, not just Redline)?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I've had the reverse Redline Effect (though not for Redline): Why did they spend so much time and money on this? They could have made a dozen shows, and gotten a dozen times the money from me, giving me 11x the entertainment (allowing a bit of value for the animation).
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Because those shows would been terrible anyway.

Might as well blow it all one one good movie than 12 shitty shows.

Also, production costs don't increase that smoothly.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I guess Michael Bay is your favorite director? If you've 'stopped enjoying anime' I guess you value flashy animation more than things like plot and music and characters and writing?

Though in all seriousness, that's not 'the Redline effect' that's 'the movie effect' Comparing movies to television shows is silly. You may as well call it 'The Arrietty Effect' or 'The Summer Wars Effect' for all the difference it makes.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I wanted more from Redline, but that doesn't change that it's one of my favorite movies.

I've shown the opening race to many friends that don't watch anime, simply due to its badassery.

I vividly remember Redline's style (even though I haven't watched it recently), but I don't bother comparing other anime's animation to it. I did want to find more movies like it, but I had already watched Tailenders.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Though in all seriousness, that's not 'the Redline effect' that's 'the movie effect' Comparing movies to television shows is silly. You may as well call it 'The Arrietty Effect' or 'The Summer Wars Effect' for all the difference it makes.

This.

I typically don't let the visuals of a movie change how I feel about how TV shows look because different budgets and schedule constraints mean a TV show won't be as polished as a movie.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I guess Michael Bay is your favorite director? If you've 'stopped enjoying anime' I guess you value flashy animation more than things like plot and music and characters and writing?

Two things:

1. I've never seen a Micheal Bay movie

2. My favorite movie of all time is GATTACA. That's a slow-moving movie about genetic engineering and the reprecussions of "designer babies" on society.

Next:

I never said it was rational. I just can't help but notice the sheer difference.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

2. My favorite movie of all time is GATTACA. That's a slow-moving movie about genetic engineering and the reprecussions of "designer babies" on society.

That was indeed a good movie.

You should watch more Michael Bay movies; it's like a normal movie, except all that matters are the explosions.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I guess Michael Bay is your favorite director?

If you think that Micheal Bay makes movies that actually look good then you're an idiot.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I kind of get where the OP is coming from even though I don't experience the phenomenon myself. What happens to me when I see something that is beautifully rendered (i.e. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust) I absolutely have multiple eye-gasms just looking at it and once it's over, I'm left with the great visual memories, but it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of less stellar visual works. Having said that, I definitely wouldn't want to do a VHD:B / Lady Death back-to-back viewing. That would be freakin' jarring.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Congradulations TitanXL.

You took a fan's honest, joyous expression, a kind of reawakening to why they came to love and hold dear anime in the first place...

...and you just crapped all over it in the most mean, condescending way possible.

Good for you, TitanXL...good for you.

Last edited by Shenl742 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
sadly no.. none of the movie stores have it in stock and paying 3.99 shipping is tad much for 24 dollar movie. Perhaps when I get some money saved up i will order from rightstuf and get free shipping lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I think it can even be expanded beyond visuals. It just depends on the subject and person. Like if someone said Pokemon makes them think no other "monster" type shows come close to matching how Pokemon does the monster type. Or how one show conveys VA in a real emotional way. Those types of things do happen like once in awhile, and does go away after a point.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Congradulations TitanXL.

You took a fan's honest, joyous expression, a kind of reawakening to why they came to love and hold dear anime in the first place...

...and you just crapped all over it in the most mean, condescending way possible.

Good for you, TitanXL...good for you.

Did we read the same post? He didn't say anything about "reawakening".

And I think anything resembling 'joyous' flew out the window the minute "any 12 shows they made would have been shitty" was said, along with "I can't enjoy anime anymore"
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, Redline DID re-awaken my love for anime.

After constant moeshit (and I like moe), harems, badly-written drama, and bland action shows, Redline gave me hope again, dammit. It gave me hope that Japan could actually create something pretty kickass on the animation front.

Of course, moeshit sells better, but a man can dream, can't he!?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4