• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - S-E-X-X-I-S-M

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
@Zac

lol, this could very well be pot meeting kettle as I doubt your snarky potshots and attacks on a few posters comes from any humble intent either.

The point I bring it up is because everyone, except for Vantos it seems, is throwing the term sexist around without even stating why. The assumed (alternative second M-W) definition does not itself state how to judge something as sexist as the definition itself defers actual judgement to society. People state how, but they aren't stating exactly why one type of depiction vs another type of depiction is sexist. And if people disagree, if it's ever relative to any externalities outside the medium, then I am pointing that anything then can be declared sexist (if not using the more objective first definition) So I am trying to invite--ok, trying to goad people--to try to actually make a case why!
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Yamada's First time - B Gata H Kei intrigues me. I had written it off because of what it looked like, or rather the people that it seemed to want to appeal to, and the harsh treatment that it got from some of the previews (especially by Zac and JesuOtaku), but then I read Botan42's rather approving opinion of it, yielded after having watched it with her husband. I watched the first two episodes myself and did like some of it, but felt uncomfortably ambivalent (Just the final paragraph, after a lot of groaning about Baldr Force EXE). It's also of note that the mangaka who created it is a woman, although I don't know how the anime might have changed from the manga.

I liked Yamada herself, I didn't interpret her as stupid, but as strangely naïve and misguided with wrongheaded ideas about sexuality.

Well, first of all, it's a comedy. You have to give leeway to exaggerated behaviours in this genre too. I wouldn't presume to describe her ideas about sexuality naive, as there are plenty of mature women around with perhaps the same mentality as Yamada to a certain degree. Although obviously her indecisiveness about what to DO WITH IT obviously is borne out of sexual inexperience. I think to belittle Yamada's sexual aggressiveness and motivations would do her character a disservice since we don't belittle Ataru Moroboshi for being a lech, we just accept it as part of his comedic persona. So, I just accept Yamada's motivations as just the story's eye-catching hook, rather than being a deep psychological insight into her persona. The show really doesn't care why the characters are here, it wants to simply talk about sex, baby. (From a teenage standpoint, that is)

What struck me about B Gata H Kei was how strongly focused it was on Yamada's thoughts and feelings during sexual situations. Being a guy, I can't judge for sure its authenticity to female thoughts (and one must also take into account that there is no such thing as "common" female thoughts as every person is different), but the things Yamada was feeling or thinking about when with Kosuda struck me as authentic enough to make me conclude that it was either written by a very empathetic guy, or a woman. Guys don't think about awkwardness when writing sex--at least, not awkwardness from both points of view. They'll often focus more of the man's awkwardness. In B Gata H Kei, the show devotes a lot of sensitivity to the awkwardness of both characters, even during the steamiest situations.

And I can tell you one thing they definitely got right: Yamada tends to get annoyed when Kosuda can't read what she wants when they're attempting to paw at each other late in the series. When Yamada goes on her "Move there--no that's not right--urgh, you have no idea what I want," thought tangents, I had to smile sheepishly in acknowledgement.

Because I've been in situations like that, and the ladies in question would gently chide me afterwards in the exact same way as Yamada does in the examples above. Embarassed

And as someone mentioned, I later find out the source material was indeed written by a woman and I'm glad my instincts were correct.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
When shoujo authors like good ol' Mayu Shinjo show that the girl is to be subservient to the boy

Yes, yes, heaven forbid a guy like submissive chicks, CLEARLY HE IS AN INSTRUMENT OF THE PATRIARCHY.

I think the point was about women writing this stuff, and her perspective on it. And on a personal note, I would never let a guy like that near me and warn off any of my friends.

But you have to remember that a lot of guys think that is hawt, especially if it is against the woman's will.

Japan, I think, has a different ideology about crime prevention. They approach these kind of things by feeding the potential sex-offenders plenty of fantasy fodder in hopes of keeping them in their hidey-holes, where here in the Western countries the prevalent ideology is that the fantasy fodder will result in the escalation of their behavior to RL victims.

Last edited by tuxedocat on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
When shoujo authors like good ol' Mayu Shinjo show that the girl is to be subservient to the boy

Yes, yes, heaven forbid a guy like submissive chicks, CLEARLY HE IS AN INSTRUMENT OF THE PATRIARCHY.

YEAH MAN YOU SHOW THOSE FEMINISTS
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Not quite what I was getting at. Smile

What I was talking about was that the heroines in those situations are often portrayed as only getting the man when they are subservient, not that men who prefer submissive women are the evil ones. If the girl is taught to repress herself in order to fulfill the goal of getting the guy, that's not good. If the girl is naturally submissive - and in some cases with Shinjo and like authors, that is not the case - fine. But she shouldn't have to be.
nhat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Examples of strong females

Olivier Mira Armstrong, Riza Hawkeye, and Izumi Curtis from Fullmetal Alchemist, most of the cast of My-Otome, the females in SRW OG (though this is a video game property), Renaise from GGG Final, various Gundam females (Emma Sheen, Christina Mckenzie, Rain Mikamura, and Allenby Beardsly).

Wow you're missing Moribito also. I would say she is a prime example more than Olivier Mira Armstrong
NotintheMood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Spotlesseden wrote:
I don't think the guy who stated about how men should protect women is sexist.

By saying men is stronger than women is not sexism, that's just biology. Men were hunters dating back to 20000 and they protected women. That was what I learned in college. Biologist agreed that natural wanted to build men stronger to protect their offspring. Men has shorter life because they are not needed once their passed their gene

There are season why women are not allow to play in the NBA, NFL and there is women world cup.

Biology isn't destiny. It might create tendencies, but those aren't absolute and they're also not somehow 'right' or somehow coercive, especially when dealing with entertaining fantasies like much anime.

The vagaries of sexual dimorphism aren't strictly deterministic. The female spotted hyena is larger than the male and in nature, they tend to be socially dominant, yet in a pack raised in captivity in California, that pattern has not prevailed.

I found that in an essay that cast significant doubt on the relationship between testosterone and violence, which I have not been able to locate for present purposes. Instead, for now I can only point attention to this article suggesting that violence is a byproduct of power, not gender and hormones, which might mean that as the relatively social power of women rises, they might become more violent.

Thank you for saying this and I just wanted to add that: Biology is variable.

Hormone levels, muscle mass and even the number of interconnections in the brain all vary from person to person. This is why when you get a blood test, the results always show a normal range and not an exact number.

Just as there are differences between individuals there are differences between male and female brain chemistry. But these differences are normal and minor.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
On a different side of sexism i went digging through my 100000 of anime pics and finally dug up something that's both a little sexist and deranged at the same time. Mind you i can relate a bit to this MC that is about to be featured below but still... I can not help but laugh at the person that thought of doing this in photo-shop.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
There's a great metaphor about damaged manhood and using protection in here somewhere...
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
NotintheMood wrote:
Panty shots always irritate me.

It’s not just the creepy camera angle, or that it’s pandering or the reminder that I am not the intended audience.

It’s that it’s deliberate.

It’s that someone animated that. It wasn’t accidental. It wasn’t the wind or missed in the editing room.

Someone planned out and storyboarded it to happen. And then someone drew it, animated it and colored it in.

If you get that weird out by a simple panty shot, then I'm honestly not sure how you can watch anime at all. Even kids stuff like Pocket Monsters and Digimon have panty shots occasionally. Get into a little older and you get full on nude girl playtime like Naruto's sexy jutsu, bouncy booby beach episodes with tentacle monsters in Bleach, Nami's soap battle with Kalifa and Nami fanservice in general. Then go into the older and you get pull on harem/fanservice like Aikikan and such, then at the extreme end, short of hentai, you got your Seikon no Qwasers and Queens Blade. Then again, there's also the opposite. How many fangirls lavish over Gray's running joke over stripping his clothes off? Or Zoro and Sanji being shirtless all the time, or the plethora of Sasuke smut.

Maybe I'm an outlier because all my friends in high school and college were girls, out of the 6 of us, I was the only guy. They loved Tenchi just as much as I did growing up, they thought Ryoko and Kiyone were awesome, and an episode dedicated to them being peeped on in the hot springs or posing in skimpy swim suits for a competition didn't 'ruin and rob them of their strong characteristics' All they did was say stuff like 'damn girl' and 'she got it going on' and so forth. They admired them just as much, and found some of it hilarious like Nagi's swimsuit. They though the scene when Asuka teases Shinji in a towel in the Evangelion manga was hilarious, and so forth.

That's why all the comments like 'only loser virgins with no girlfriend like fanservice/I'm not their target demographic' make me facepalm. Fanservice is such a common thing in anime. You can have a girlfriend or a normal sex life but still enjoy seeing that stuff, and they can enjoy it as well. Sometimes it can even help set the mood for couples.

(Aside, the fact Winry kept getting left out of the 'strong female character' list for FMA pretty much shows when people say 'strong female character' they mean in the literal sense, not in terms of character growth or good writing, because in that regard Winry trounces every other woman in that series. That kind of mindset is why video games still try to shove Lara Croft in everyone's faces as a good female role model, because 'kicking ass' is more important than actually being a good, well written character)
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
NotintheMood wrote:
Panty shots always irritate me.

It’s not just the creepy camera angle, or that it’s pandering or the reminder that I am not the intended audience.

It’s that it’s deliberate.

It’s that someone animated that. It wasn’t accidental. It wasn’t the wind or missed in the editing room.

Someone planned out and storyboarded it to happen. And then someone drew it, animated it and colored it in.

If you get that weird out by a simple panty shot, then I'm honestly not sure how you can watch anime at all. Even kids stuff like Pocket Monsters and Digimon have panty shots occasionally. Get into a little older and you get full on nude girl playtime like Naruto's sexy jutsu, bouncy booby beach episodes with tentacle monsters in Bleach, Nami's soap battle with Kalifa and Nami fanservice in general. Then go into the older and you get pull on harem/fanservice like Aikikan and such, then at the extreme end, short of hentai, you got your Seikon no Qwasers and Queens Blade. Then again, there's also the opposite. How many fangirls lavish over Gray's running joke over stripping his clothes off? Or Zoro and Sanji being shirtless all the time, or the plethora of Sasuke smut.

You're seeing things really black and white here, and you're REALLY underestimating how open minded people can be.. People can tolerate fanservice just fine, though they still don't have to like it. And as long a series has more going for it then just panties and boobs, then all the better. And if it doesn't? Then screw it. I mean,

I'm a gay man. Got Vandread on my shelf. It's a guilty pleasure of mine. Don't really feel too guilty about liking it at all.

Got Rin: Daugthers of Mnemosyne on my shelf. Thought it was crap and went way too far. Though it just pushed it way too far.

As you can see, there's no real "if X then Y" here.

Criticizing some stuff doesn't automatically mean they're some kind of puritan windbag. You seem to find the idea very strange that some people can have standard. Complex standards, but standards none the less.

And you keep pulling the, "You're an anime fan, and yet you don't like fanservice? You're a hypocrite" card is very silly in my opinion

Quote:
That's why all the comments like 'only loser virgins with no girlfriend like fanservice/I'm not their target demographic' make me facepalm.

No one's saying likeing fanservicy stuff automatically makes you a loser virgin...Theron likes tons of fansevicy stuff and he's definately not a loser in my opinion. I think it's when someone tries when a show is something it isn't is when eyebrows start to be raised.

Quote:
Fanservice is such a common thing in anime.

Doesn't meen we have to like it.

Quote:
You can have a girlfriend or a normal sex life but still enjoy seeing that stuff, and they can enjoy it as well.

Sure, I won't deny that.

Quote:
Sometimes it can even help set the mood for couples.

That...I'll just take you're word for it.
[/quote]

Last edited by Shenl742 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
And you keep pulling the, "You're an anime fan, and yet you don't like fanservice? You're a hypocrite" card is very silly in my opinion

I would have to agree with Titan here. Fanservice and cute girls has always been a large part of anime, even in the past. It wasn't fansubbed or dubbed so much in the past, but looking at any old anime chart shows that nearly half the anime even in the 80s and 90s have cute girls (though it was more the OVA market back then which became the late night market).

I find it kinda silly to feel connected to a fandom yet refuse to acknowledge and enjoy one of the cornerstones of it. Plus people here seem to hate anime as it is now, so why even go to an anime website if you can't stand it? Is it just to mope around about the good old days (which actually wasn't any better, since there was like 2 big anime a year in the 90s) or something?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

I would have to agree with Titan here. Fanservice and cute girls has always been a large part of anime, even in the past. It wasn't fansubbed or dubbed so much in the past, but looking at any old anime chart shows that nearly half the anime even in the 80s and 90s have cute girls (though it was more the OVA market back then which became the late night market).

I find it kinda silly to feel connected to a fandom yet refuse to acknowledge and enjoy one of the cornerstones of it. Plus people here seem to hate anime as it is now, so why even go to an anime website if you can't stand it? Is it just to mope around about the good old days (which actually wasn't any better, since there was like 2 big anime a year in the 90s) or something?

But there's TONS of anime I like which have very minimal to no fanservice at all. There's still some coming out every year for me! It's not impossible to be a hardcore anime fan who doesn't wallow or take a vested interest in fanservicy stuff.

And once again: gay here. I'm intrinsically unable to enjoy stuff where boobs and panties are the main feature, except maybe on an ironic level.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I consider myself a feminist, but I enjoy many moe and fanservice (i.e. panty shots / giant boobs) shows. I wanted to step in to defend Yamada's First Time. Yes, there is, of course, sexism to be found and it does pander a bit to male fantasies, but I actually found the entire experience watching it to be rather refreshing in regards to recent anime trends.

It isn't really a fanservice show. It's definitely a romantic comedy, and it is actually very, VERY funny.

Yamada is not an idiot or even a ditz. I'm pretty sure she's even decent at school and she's observant and has a normal life / friends. However, she is, as every horny teenager with no sexual/romantic experience, completely clueless about sex and relationships.

When I was in middle school / Jr. High I was very much like Yamada (although less exaggerated, of course). Obsessed with sex / sexuality, without ever having been kissed ... looking up dirty words, asking friends ridiculous questions, plotting to "hook up" with/date guys, having stupid misconceptions about sex, etc.

I think what's great about the show is so many of the inner-dialogues are so honest and realistic and easy to relate to (if you recall back to being a clueless and embarrassed teenager). That made the show so hilarious and enjoyable to watch.

I'd recommend anyone who enjoys "sexual comedies" to give it a go. It's nice to see an anime portray a female character who is very interested in sex without turning it into something ridiculous (i.e. the teacher in DearS).
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I consider myself a feminist, but I enjoy many moe and fanservice (i.e. panty shots / giant boobs) shows. I wanted to step in to defend Yamada's First Time. Yes, there is, of course, sexism to be found and it does pander a bit to male fantasies, but I actually found the entire experience watching it to be rather refreshing in regards to recent anime trends.

It isn't really a fanservice show. It's definitely a romantic comedy, and it is actually very, VERY funny.

Yamada is not an idiot or even a ditz. I'm pretty sure she's even decent at school and she's observant and has a normal life / friends. However, she is, as every horny teenager with no sexual/romantic experience, completely clueless about sex and relationships.

When I was in middle school / Jr. High I was very much like Yamada (although less exaggerated, of course). Obsessed with sex / sexuality, without ever having been kissed ... looking up dirty words, asking friends ridiculous questions, plotting to "hook up" with/date guys, having stupid misconceptions about sex, etc.

I think what's great about the show is so many of the inner-dialogues are so honest and realistic and easy to relate to (if you recall back to being a clueless and embarrassed teenager). That made the show so hilarious and enjoyable to watch.

This. The one thing that I am glad the show does is that it at least has the characters thinking about using protection instead of just bare backing and taking a chance to the wind on being lucky. I did not really remember noticing that when I watched the show back in 2010 but when I watched the BD's I noticed this time around.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 18