• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Discotek Media / Eastern Star Apr - Nov '12 Solicitations

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:25 am Reply with quote
via Discotek Facebook page
  • Panda! Go, Panda! - $19.95 - 4/17/12

• This will have both movies. Panda Go Panda and Rainy Day Circus
    • this will be better than the pioneer dvd
    • This will have the original credits

• The Fantastic Adventures of Unico - $19.95 - 5/15/12

• both Unico movies will have the english dub and japanese with english subs

• Unico: In the Island of Magic - $19.95 - 5/15/12

• both Unico movies will have the english dub and japanese with english subs

• Lupin the Third: The Complete First TV Series - $59.95 - 6/26/12

• Lupin 1st series will be English subtitled
    • There's no point doing Blu Ray. The Japanese release looks worse than the DVD version. We checked.
    • We're only going to do something on Blu Ray if its a significant improvement over the DVD. If not why bother?

• Golgo 13: The Professional - 7/24/12

• widescreen anamorphic, director commentary, etc.
    • subs will be revised

EDIT: LINK
Quote:
We wanted to do the GE 999 series, but we were in the middle of the FOTNS and didn't want to take on another 100+ episode series at that time. Fist was a huge undertaking. There will be other classic series announced later this year.
EDIT 2: LINK
Quote:
lots more classics to announce soon!
Quote:
We will be releasing another old CPM title with much better quality. Also we have some more never before released movies coming out. I should be able to name them shortly. We have more stuff from Toei coming also.
Quote:
We're kind of bummed that we had to pass on GE 999 TV. Toei asked us if we wanted it but we had to decline at the time due to the amount of episodes. We decided to go with shorter series and more movies instead. Those 100+ series are very expensive to produce and release.
Quote:
We're doing a Blu Ray later this year. We're only going to do them if it's a significant upgrade to the DVD version. It's a waste of money to just slap it on a disc. We would rather spend that money on more licenses.

Last edited by WTK on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:54 pm; edited 13 times in total
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
Wow, Lupin is a nice surprise. Interested to see episodes Miyazaki was involved with Smile.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
I'm very much interested in the first Lupin III series. It'll take some time for me to shake my concept of a Lupin who speaks English and sounds like Tony Oliver, but I think that I can manage and that it would be well worth it.

Quote:
We wanted to do the GE 999 series, but we were in the middle of the FOTNS and didn't want to take on another 100+ episode series at that time. Fist was a huge undertaking. There will be other classic series announced later this year.

Fortunately, somebody else is picking the slack up.

Quote:
lots more classics to announce soon!

Boss. DiscoTek has been high in my books because of its releases of Project A-Ko and Galaxy Express 999, so I really am looking forward to whatever else they might offer. Come on Dominion Tank Police! I have no idea how likely or feasible that is, but a man can dream. A man can dream...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
I recently bought a used copy of Dominion Tank Police for $10.

JEALOUS???

Wink
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Excellent. I'll have one of everything please.
Even of Panda Ko-Panda, which I have in the Pioneer DVD, to show my support.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I need to dump some serious money on Discotek at some point. I love the fact that they're taking the gamble on putting out old classics like this. Smile
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Unico? Well I do believe that's Osamu Tezuka, and my Tezuka shelf must have it! Well played!

Oh and Lupin is sweet news too!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I recently bought a used copy of Dominion Tank Police for $10.

JEALOUS???

Not at all. Not at all...

So, how quickly do the Toronto police normally respond to home invasions?

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I live close to a donut shop, so any nefarious activity would be ill-advised. If it's any consolation, I have the version with the less-salacious cover which seems to be less valuable - at least according to Amazon.com, whose judgment in these matters seems to be sound.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I live close to a donut shop, so any nefarious activity would be ill-advised. If it's any consolation, I have the version with the less-salacious cover which seems to be less valuable - at least according to Amazon.com, whose judgment in these matters seems to be sound.

A doghnut shop? Verdammt! Being half Pennsylvania Dutch, I would be unable to resist the fatal distraction of Canada's legendary fried dough.

Used copies do sometimes sneak onto Amazon.com for prices that might be reasonable, but given the sloppiness of the release described at the end of this Buried Treasures article, I'm reluctant to pay much more than what you did. So I'll keep dreaming that Demon City Shinjuku sets a promising precedent until a really cheap copy appears or I just can't resist buying some of my childhood.
WTK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:48 pm Reply with quote
LINK
Quote:
We will be releasing another old CPM title with much better quality. Also we have some more never before released movies coming out. I should be able to name them shortly. We have more stuff from Toei coming also.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
You can bet I'll be making space for that Lupin III set!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully DNA2 or the Project A-KO OVA's are the rescue.

As for Toei stuff, Cutey Honey would be awesome. Wouldn't it be hilarious if little ol' Discotek was the company to bring back Sailor Moon? I mean, I'd be disappointed because I'd like to see a new dub, but it'd still be pretty funny since EVERYONE thinks Funimaton is the company to get it.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, Lupin, now that I would get.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Release date & details for Golgo 13: The Professional announced.

Link!

The King of Harts wrote:
Hopefully DNA2 or the Project A-KO OVA's are the rescue.

This!

I know the OVAs aren't as well liked to most as the movie but i would buy just to complete the collection since i liked the movie so much.

Quote:
As for Toei stuff, Cutey Honey would be awesome.

This!

Quote:
Wouldn't it be hilarious if little ol' Discotek was the company to bring back Sailor Moon? I mean, I'd be disappointed because I'd like to see a new dub, but it'd still be pretty funny since EVERYONE thinks Funimaton is the company to get it.

I stopped caring for a new dub long ago so i wouldn't mind a resubbed release.

It would be cool if they also got Air Master & Interlude so that both shows can be given justice after the awful discs that Toei USA made years ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6