• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cowboy Bebop - REMIX First Impressions

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I got Vol 1 today, so I'll post what my first thoughts are about REMIX.

Video: To be honest, I haven't really been able to notice much, if any of a difference in video quality thus far. Perhaps colors are a bit sharper.. and perhaps not. I'll let you decide for yourself, with the helpful links to screencaps below.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Audio: Unfortunately my surround sound equipment is currently packed away, so I was unable to sample the new 5.1 mix. (I'll try to drag everything out for awhile this weekend) There is definately an improvment in the 2.0 mix, with SFX sounding crisper, and better defined in the stereo field.

Extras: The first disc contains an interview with Wendee Lee (Faye), episode 1 commentary by the Seiyuu for Spike and Jet, episode 5 commentary by Wendee Lee and ADR Producer Yutaka Maseba, US Bebop trailer collection (3 total), Bebop the Movie trailer, CN promo spots, Bandai trailers, and textless opening.

The interview with Wendee Lee was short, but fun to watch. The questions were rather general, but her responses were fairly in-depth.

The episode 1 commentary is really a treat to listen to. Not only do the seiyuu have a great deal of fun joking around with one another, but they also bring some insights into the initial creation and dubbing process, as well as insight into how they got a feel for their characters.

The episode 5 commentary starts with both Wendee and Yutaka singing the praises of Yokko Kanno as Tank! plays in the background. Unlike what we ended up with Eva Plat, where commentaries seemed to ramble on about nothing in particular, this commentary is very well done, with discussions about all aspects of the series and the people surrounding it. A very interesting listen.

Included Bandai trailers were for Mars Daybreak, Planetes, and Gundam SEED.

So, after watching the first disc, my initial impression is that this is most assuredly something to get if you are a few who doesn't already have the DVDs, or if you are a fan whose looking to learn more about the work to create and bring Bebop to us.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm really interested in how good the 5.1 mix sound on a 5.1 setup.
phoelixian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:07 am Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:

For a feasible trial, try and snatch a copy of CB: Best Sessions. That had 6 remixed episodes on it. Sounded great!
Starwind Amada

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:36 am Reply with quote
Are the CN promos from the old 2003 Saturday night AS or does it include the pool ones as well?

phoelixian wrote:
hagakure|returns wrote:

For a feasible trial, try and snatch a copy of CB: Best Sessions. That had 6 remixed episodes on it. Sounded great!

And if you've already seen Bebop and don't want to purchase Best Sessions, most rental places have it, as well as the movie.
patch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the first look Kazuki-san Smile

Definately looking forward to commentaries. Already heard the old 5.1 mix on the perfect sessions DVDs and they were great, and I know that Watanabe supervised the 5.1 mix, do you know if he was involved the audio mix for the remix verisions? Also as far as I know they didn't do a new video transfer for those discs, will be interesting to compare
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:55 pm Reply with quote
phoelixian wrote:
hagakure|returns wrote:

Many people on other forums said the Best Session had awful 5.1 mix with echo.

I would actually like first hand impression of the Bebop 5.1 mix, not the Best Session that was made a while back.
GrantM1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
patch wrote:
Thanks for the first look Kazuki-san Smile

Definately looking forward to commentaries. Already heard the old 5.1 mix on the perfect sessions DVDs and they were great, and I know that Watanabe supervised the 5.1 mix, do you know if he was involved the audio mix for the remix verisions? Also as far as I know they didn't do a new video transfer for those discs, will be interesting to compare

I see Bandai now do audio commentaries, I thought only ADV and Funimation did those
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:

I would actually like first hand impression of the Bebop 5.1 mix, not the Best Session that was made a while back.

I'll be dragging my surround sound equipment out tonight. So I'll let you know what my impression is of it.
patch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:53 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
Many people on other forums said the Best Session had awful 5.1 mix with echo.

Definately not. I think the 5.1 mixes are excellent on the Best Sessions disks, and it really adds to the Bebop experience. The surround effects aren't over done, but really add to the action sequences and there's nice clean seperation of dialog to the center channel.

If the REMIX is anything close, I'll be very very happy.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I was going to pick it up but with all the other stuff comming this month I think I'll either buy it later or wait for a set with all the volumes. Is there an artbox for this one?
mitora

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:52 pm Reply with quote
What disk is suppose to have the new animated scene on it? Thats what I want to see. Smile
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Is there an artbox for this one?

I haven't heard anything about an artbox. The volumes do come with individual slip-cases similar to Eva Plat.

Front, Back, DVD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1