• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Rosario + Vampire DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zatheus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the show. Then again I went into it not really expecting anything special or thinking this was going to be in any way over the top. Thought it would be mediocre and it was so I was not really disappointed.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Well,I can't really comment on the anime. I've only read the manga,so you'll have to wait for my view of this show. I liked the manga version of "Rosario + Vampire." It's a shame they didn't have a season three in which a couple of American students,a boy and girl,visit Yokai Academy. There is a problem with that though because they're both human and they don't know why they were invited. I'd have loved to have seen that.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I'll never forgive Gonzo for destroying one of my favorite mangas. Instead of adapting a great, supernatural action anime, they made a lousy, panty-laden fanservice anime with no consistent plot.

I know this will never happen but i hope one day, another studio will adapt Rosario + Vampire into an anime that is more faithful to the source.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I tried watching the first couple of episodes when it first came out, but I could never get past how utterly bland it was in every aspect, not to mention how every girl had that same blank, dead-behind-the-eyes, "expressionless" look to them (not that it wasn't far off from the manga…). It also didn't help that I found the succubus character to be so pathetic, and uncomfortably so, with the way she kept thrusting herself onto the male lead. I mean, she's a animated character for crying out loud--not real--and I felt embarassed for her! It was just too dumb a show to keep watching when there are much better ones out there.

Last edited by Sam Murai on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Well,I can't really comment on the anime. I've only read the manga,so you'll have to wait for my view of this show. I liked the manga version of "Rosario + Vampire." It's a shame they didn't have a season three in which a couple of American students,a boy and girl,visit Yokai Academy. There is a problem with that though because they're both human and they don't know why they were invited. I'd have loved to have seen that.

What? You can't be serious.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Meh. It's a mediocre show I blind bought only because it was an LE with a lenticular card and art book that caught my eye during a Funimation sale at TRSI. I actually only like the show because of the dub; I could listen to Brina and Monica bicker all day. Tia did a very nice job as Mizore and I loved Colleen's Inner Moka. Oh, and Ian as Ginei was very good as well.

Those are the exact same reasons that I bought it, though I haven't watched it yet. Great minds think alike, right? Wink I also do like me some fanservice from time to time. The show sounds like, to me, a decent way to pass some brainless time when I've got nothing better to do.

The King of Harts wrote:
Off the top of my head Sentai didn't do the songs for Angel Beats. ADV didn't do the karaoke scenes in Azumanga Daioh, either.

Then there's Bandai, who didn't dub the songs for K-ON in the show, though they did have them as extras. I also think there was a karaoke scene in Love Hina that didn't get dubbed, but it's been a few years since I've seen that, so I'm not sure. I'm sure I'm missing several, but those are all that come to me instantly.

Full Moon O Sagashite is another one. If I'm remembering correctly, Viz got flak for this. The K-ON one puzzles me. If they dubbed the songs, why not use them in the show?

ArsenicSteel wrote:
What? You can't be serious.

He most definetly is. The vast majority of his posts are along the lines of, "What about this show, but WITH AMERICA?!", which is getting really annoying. In fact, I do believe this counts as soapboxing. Excuse me while I report his post.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is a great line because it makes this a very useful review. I'm sure that there are plenty of people for whom this is alluring, but to me it loudly screeches, "STAY AWAY."

Which is exactly what I'm doing. I read the review out of curiosity, just to see what the reviewer thought, regardless of whether they agreed with me or not. But I can't stand harem shows, and Rosario+Vampire is no exception. Of course, part of it is that I have a friend, who's kind of an idiot, and he loves Rosario+Vampire, exactly for the fanservice, and for wishfulfillment. (He wants his own little harem. Rolling Eyes )That's one of the reasons I will stay well away from this.

I haven't read the manga, but it sounds like it is nothing like the anime. That's really...dumb. Why stray so far from the source material?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:40 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:

I haven't read the manga, but it sounds like it is nothing like the anime.

It's ABSOLUTELY nothing like the anime:

http://img2.lln.crunchyroll.com/i/spire4/03122008/9/d/c/f/9dcfdfe3de0a20_full.jpg

[EDIT: First two links were removed because they link to pics on scanlation sites, which is explicitly not allowed by forum rules. - Key]

Last edited by DmonHiro on Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:36 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
ADV didn't do the karaoke scenes in Azumanga Daioh, either.

Er, during the Christmas episode? Yes they did.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel said he didn't like my idea for a "Rosario + Vampire" third season. Might I ask him what was wrong with it? I don't see anything wrong with that idea. Hey,it might happen. Who knows?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
ArsenicSteel said he didn't like my idea for a "Rosario + Vampire" third season. Might I ask him what was wrong with it? I don't see anything wrong with that idea. Hey,it might happen. Who knows?

You're missing the entire point of the show. It's a harem series, and adding in extra American characters (as you proposed) would dilute the cast, thus upsetting the harem focus.

Oh, and don't underline series names if you're already putting them in italics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Todd Haberkorn proving once again why he's Funimation's go-to guy for wimpy male leads.

I spit my drink up laughing at this. Death the Kid wants a word with you.
Wink

Kidding aside, I'm glad I didn't make this my choice of purchase over the weekend. While I've nothing against fanservice (Strike Witches fan here), the harem and "pre-molded" girls is a major turn off. Not to say I won't see it sometime down the road, I decided to get Baka & Test and Spice & Wolf (season 1 bluray... didn't know it existed) instead.

Pretty bad I'm double-dipping before buying tired trope.

Just curious though: Does the fanservice in this series come close to Kanokan? The moment some chick decided to sit on a desk and spread her legs as my wife entered the room made for one awkward moment.

I could only say "Why don't you wear panties like that?"

Neutral
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just curious though: Does the fanservice in this series come close to Kanokan? The moment some chick decided to sit on a desk and spread her legs as my wife entered the room made for one awkward moment.

Not close. It's like most other harem's in the fanservice department with the panty shots and boob groping. There are some nipples, but it's only in the second season and they're probably on screen for a total of 30 seconds. You've seen Shuffle, so you can expect that kind. Well, there isn't a (Shuffle spoiler) spoiler[naked, crazy woman], but everything else is the same.

Nobuyuki wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
ADV didn't do the karaoke scenes in Azumanga Daioh, either.

Er, during the Christmas episode? Yes they did.

I just checked, and I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe I was thinking of the Love Hina episode again, because I'm pretty sure that one has undubbed karaoke.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just curious though: Does the fanservice in this series come close to Kanokan?

Season one has a lot of panty service but isn't as aggressive as Kanokan. There's only one character that has sweater-puppies that are big enough to jiggle but those puppies stay in her sweater most of the time. Season two cut down on a lot of the panty shots. I don't recall there being any full-frontal nudity in Rosario + Vampire.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Thanks you two for the head's up. Kanokon really set the bar on the fanservice, that's for sure. Now, I can't help think anything less than Kanokon is merely a non-issue anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3