• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Violent

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Some random guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:11 am Reply with quote
Hey,
I never liked anime untill one day I discovered it can be more violent than anything your ever gonna see on TV (in north america). I have watched Elfen lied, Rurouni Kenshin OVA although I didn't much care for the TV series, Ninja Scroll (Halfway through the TV series), Ninja Ressurection, Halfway through Ikkitousen and a few others I didn't like such as Trigun and Kite (I WAS NOT PROPERLEY INFORMED OF THE CONTENT).
I look around everywhere for something as violent as these but I cant seem to find anything. Does anything know of something that can match up to these in gore and violence? (also noir was boring as hell)
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:04 am Reply with quote
Well you have hit some really really violent stuff already.

Gantz is pretty violent, so is berserk. Problem is they are both manga(Berserk with anime counterpart, but not nearly as violent).
Super Arrow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:51 am Reply with quote
Pretty much anything Directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino made during the late 70s-early 90s should fit this bill.
Neclord516

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:11 am Reply with quote
I agree that if you want a violent anime then you have to check out Gantz. It also has a good story and well developed characters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:40 am Reply with quote
The Ninja Scroll movie is one of the most graphically violent anime ever made. Much stronger than the series, as I understand it.

Gantz and Texhnolyze, as mentioned above, are also pretty extreme.

Wicked City, a movie, is another good choice, though it also has graphic sexual elements to it. (Not as extreme as Kite, but still pretty strong.) Other extremely violent movie choices include Biohunter (monster-hunting), Perfect Blue (mind-bending thriller), and Spriggan (action).

Among series, New Getter Robo has lots of squishy content if you go for mecha, while 3x3 Eyes is a good choice if you like more supernatural tales. Fist of the North Star is an oldie but also one of the most extreme fighting anime ever made.

And I would be remiss if I didn't mentioned Apocalypse Zero. Not one of the higher-quality OVA series out there, but that one is guaranteed to make your jaw drop - I don't care what you're normally used to watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote
One of the most violent, and disturbing things I have seen is Ichi The Killer: Episode Zero. I am warning you though, this is not something to watch if you have morals or anything of the like. Also, never let anyone under 17 watch this. It's just too disturbing.
Some random guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:42 pm Reply with quote
hmmm
thanks for the replies thusfar
It all sounds good but where do you find this stuff?
I get all my anime off of limewire and bittorrent but im having trouble finding stuff like itchy the killer. Do you buy these? Rent these Question
Well in the meantime I'll dl what I can. Thxs
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I completely forgot to mention Ichi The Killer: Episode Zero. That one is not only very violent but also very depraved.

Some random guy wrote:
hmmm
I get all my anime off of limewire and bittorrent but im having trouble finding stuff like itchy the killer. Do you buy these? Rent these Question

We can't recommend or discuss any download sites since that's against forum rules (since that's all technically illegal). I have seen a couple of the above titles on cable TV but own most of the others. Some may be carried by local video rental places, depending on where you live. I am also told that Netflix has a healthy selection of anime for rent, so that might be an option if you're limited on funds but at least have some.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:42 pm Reply with quote
You can buy Ichi the Killer (live action) at Best Buy (yes, unrated). They also sell Gozu and Ichi-1 there. I got ITK: 0 from Netflix and watched it from there. For pushing the boundaries on weirdness, check out films by Takasi Miike. I know its live action, but he's very good.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Some random guy wrote:
hmmm

Netflix has Ichi the Killer.
Some random guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info
Unfortunatley though netflix doesnt extend its service to canada. Ill give bestbuy a look but im completely poor so might there be a cheaper way to get it?
sts9

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Some random guy wrote:
Thanks for the info
Unfortunatley though netflix doesnt extend its service to canada. Ill give bestbuy a look but im completely poor so might there be a cheaper way to get it?
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4605

Check that topic for online rentals. You can also check your yellow pages (especially if you live in a metro area). Advice, if you find something you really like, don't be a cheap ass and support the hard working individuals creating it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Texhnolyze is pretty damn violent. there's a lot of gang wars where people get shot, burned, decapitated, etc.

EDIT weird. what happend to the post i made earlier?

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:26 pm Reply with quote
These movies are usually in the $10-$15 range, so you're not completely busting your wallet on this.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Heh...I too was a bit...er...surprised when I saw Kite.

Gantz is what you're looking for. In terms of pure violence and gore, it blows all of those mentioned away.

Hellsing is very violent, also...as is Berserk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4