• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
japanese language question

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoygetsfireD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
one often hears the word "no" in anime/manga titles, and also in songs.
what does it mean?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
AnimeLord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:52 pm Reply with quote
what does san means

ex. Hughs-san, what is san suppose to mean
JustinSane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:54 pm Reply with quote
BoygetsfireD wrote:
one often hears the word "no" in anime/manga titles, and also in songs.
what does it mean?

I'm not a expert but I believe it's to show ownership.

ex. Midori no Hibi - Midori's Day

Not 100% sure though...
Dranxis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure it means 'of.' For example, a character in Yu-gi-oh is commonly refered to as 'Yami no Bakura,' or the darkness of Bakura. In this case it indicates the darker side of Bakura's split personality, the Egyptian spirit that occasionally possesses him.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
what does san means

ex. Hughs-san, what is san suppose to mean

It's an honorific showing respect and or reverence to the person.
coldfusion5050

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
The particle "no" has a lot of uses.

It is used in possession: "Watashi/Boku no" means my: my dog, my movie.

It can come after some adjectives: Hagane no Renkin Jutsushi translated as Full Metal Alchemist (or, more literal Full Metal's Alchemist).

It also takes the place of the preposition "of": Kaze no Tani no Nausicaä means literally Wind's Valley's Nausicaä; in English however, do to certain differences in Japanese and English syntax, a situation like this is more properly expressed in English as Prepositional phrases leading to Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind.

There are A LOT more uses but many of them are more grammtical and I think these are the main ones.

Last edited by coldfusion5050 on Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
pythos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
~san is the equivalent of Mr./Ms./Mrs./Miss in English. It's also used in reference to some mountains in Japan (Fujisan, Gassan, etc.).

You'll also here the endings ~kun, ~chan, ~sama, ~ue, etc. Their usage depends upon the relationship of the speaker to the person they're refering or speaking to. They convey the degree of respect or familiarity within the relationship.

I'm not good at conveying their various and appropriate usages, so I'll leave that to someone else.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
The Lexicon has a great entry concerning honorifics (-san, -chan, etc...).
zaphdash

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:31 am Reply with quote
coldfusion5050 wrote:
It can come after some adjectives: Hagane no Renkin Jutsushi translated as Full Metal Alchemist (or, more literal Full Metal's Alchemist).

It also takes the place of the preposition "of": Kaze no Tani no Nausicaä means literally Wind's Valley's Nausicaä; in English however, do to certain differences in Japanese and English syntax, a situation like this is more properly expressed in English as Prepositional phrases leading to Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind.

It actually comes after a noun, not an adjective. The particle "no," among other functions, is used to join two nouns. In your example using Nausicaa, it wouldn't really be "Wind's Valley's Nausicaa," but Wind Valley Nausicaa. That's because all three words are nouns that are modifying each other, but none of them "possess" each other. Translating "no" phrases does not necessarily require a possessive construction, and in cases like that, such a construction is actually pretty inappropriate. The title "Castle in the Sky" -- Tenkuu no Shiro -- is another good example. You could just as easily translate it Sky Castle (or Castle of the Sky, since, as you said, "no" can often translate as the English "of"), but you probably wouldn't want to translate it Sky's Castle, because that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. In translating "no" phrases, the possessive construction should be reserved for possessive phrases, which many "no" phrases are not.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote
cardcaptormanda wrote:
The Lexicon has a great entry concerning honorifics (-san, -chan, etc...).

Actually, the Lexicon lookup on honorifics is pretty sketchy - but fear not, I am working on a completely disproportionate and monstrously overblown rewrite. When that is done, you'll be able to look up everything from -san to -pi to -ue, and many more honorifics that you've never heard of and probably never will. Wink

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Some of the japanese romaji verbs/nouns and a few honorifics stump me such as: Kenyou, arryo??, Byakuya(name of an anime character)-dono , and when Naruto ends his sentences with Dattebayo does that mean anything??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nani?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote
no on it's own is like an 's or of, denoting ownership. For example,

Kaze no Yojimbo= The Wind's (Kaze=Wind) bodyguard (Yojimbo=Bodyguard) or Bodyguard of the Wind.

Ayashi no Ceres= Ceres's Legend (often, not always, word order does not matter in Japanese) or, just as legitmately Legend of Ceres eventually leading to an Offical English Translation of the title, Ceres:The Celestial Legend.

NO is also a Syllabal (Excuse sp, limited time) so when you hear a word like Kanojo (Female/girl) or dono (close to lady or lord) it's just part of a word, no more or less important then the Ka or JO in KA-NO-JO.

All the Best,

Nani?
Nani?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Notable to anime fans.

NO is common in the name of Japanese deities, most often with "no kami" or "no Mikoto".

for example, Susanno-o no Mikoto, Susano-o= Swift Imptetuous Male Of Sinceriety or The sincerly (as in essence) of Swift Imptetuous Maledom.

or

Ame(or Ama) no Uzume= Uzume of the heavenly(Ame) dieties (one of the two main divisions of Shinto deites, the other being Kuni or earthly).

Anyway if you meet a person who introduces himself as "no Mikoto" or "no Kami" they are either --

A) A crazy person
B) A Japanese diety

In either case it's a good idea to be polite.

All the Best,

Nani?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1