• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking for a serious, badass Heroine. Suggest me an Anime!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Federated

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:09 am Reply with quote
I'm looking for a good anime, movie or series, or even a manga, containing a serious, badass, butt-kicking Heroine. Doesn't have to be the protagonist, just one of the main characters.

These are the things I'm looking for in this anime:
-No comedy!
-No school uniforms!!
-High quality animation.
-Serious storyline/drama

Examples I've already seen:
-GITS(Movies, series)
-Bubblegum crisis
-Ninja Scroll
-Vampire D: Bloodlust
-Shadow Skill

Either futurisitic or past setting, doesn't matter. Though I'm really looking around for a cool Samurai/Ninja chick. Something like a female Rurouni Kenshin.

Why am I asking this?
Well, I just saw the first couple of episodes of Jubei Chan the Ninja Girl..... I had to cringe thru all that "comedy" and school uniforms/setting to see her finally change into that badass ninja, kicking ass with great animation. I love that character she is for those brief moments, but the other 95% of the episode is unbearable. I would pay to see an anime based just on that character.

Surely there is something out there that resembles this. Please suggest one. please list titles I might enjoy. Thanks! Smile
final sage of fantas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:52 am Reply with quote
I'm going to say Dot Hack sign, but if I say more i'll spoil it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:24 am Reply with quote
Federated wrote:
I'm looking for a good anime, movie or series, or even a manga, containing a serious, badass, butt-kicking Heroine. Doesn't have to be the protagonist, just one of the main characters.

These are the things I'm looking for in this anime:
-No comedy!
-No school uniforms!!
-High quality animation.
-Serious storyline/drama

I think Juuni Kokki/The Twelve Kingdoms would be perfect for you. It contains all 4 of the things you are looking for, and features a serious heroine as well. First episode takes place partially at school, but that's the only school uniforms you’ll see for the rest of the series. I can't see anyone not enjoying this anime, but you should really like it; it's exactly what you're looking for.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:14 am Reply with quote
I'd have to recommend Read or Die - the TV, since the central cast of characters is largely female and more than sufficiently competent in the field of "butt-kicking". You will be exposed to the occasional school uniform, but I can guarantee that these are incidental to the story.

As it happens, the female cast member (Sumiregawa Nenene) that I personally think is the coolest does almost no "butt-kicking" at all, but she comes across as quietly determined and pesuasively cool.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Federated

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:23 am Reply with quote
Hmm, Juuni Kokki/The Twelve Kingdoms. I remember eyeing that title. Think I'll check it out...thanks!
crion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:34 am Reply with quote
A few titles fit this request pretty well:

Armitage III (I recommend the OVA)
Iria OVA
Gunsmith Cats: Bulletproof OVA

For a great female samurai lead, I would recommend Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran, although I think you may want to rent the first disc or pick it up cheap. Tsukikage Ran is a comedy and it's directed by Akitaro Daichi, who also directed Jubei Chan. That being said, I couldn't stand the comedy of Jubei chan, yet loved Tsukikage Ran. I definetely recommend you give it a try.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:56 am Reply with quote
I agree that Armitage III and Iria: Zeiram the Animation are excellent choices in this category. Gunsmith Cats mostly fits the bill, but it is a much more light-hearted action series.

Juuni Kokki/12 Kingdoms is a wonderful series and a personal favorite, but placing it in this category comes with a couple of caveats. Though it has a good amount of action, it is much more a dramatic fantasy series focusing on world-building and character development than an action fantasy story. Also, its primary heroine Yoko doesn't exactly fit the bill as a "bad-ass" heroine. She does get to do a lot of fighting in the first story arc and towards the end of the third, and these fight scenes are impressively executed, but "confident," "bold," and "brassy" are not terms you could associate with her. Most of the series is about her (and other characters) learning to adapt, mature, and grow as they confront inner doubts and demons. It is one of the best series out there in this regard, however.

Other recommendations:
Bambi and Her Pink Gun: Very recent hyper-violent manga release about a psychopathic teenage girl. Not top-quality artistically, but it certainly fits the bill.
Battle Angel/Battle Angel Alita: Only two OVA episodes of this cyberpunk series were ever made (and good luck finding them, since they've been pulled from the American market), so you might be better off picking up the manga here - whose original series is currently being rereleased, BTW. Features very detailed, high-quality artistry loaded with extreme graphic content and action scenes. Its title character is one of the ultimate bad-ass anime/manga heroines.
Blue Gender: Very serious mecha series with horror overtones. Marlene, one of the two main characters, is an adult professional soldier who kicks considerable butt.
Hellsing: Sera Victoria kicks a lot of butt in action scenes, and Sir Integra Hellsing is one of the ultimate bad-ass non-action-oriented heroines.
Kiddy Grade: A bit lighter-hearted in the early going but more serious later on. Substantial doses of bad-ass heroine behavior.
Kite: Extremely graphic and gory - but also highly dynamic - action featuring a female assassin. The Director's Cut version is better, but it's also hentai.
Noir and Madlax: Very similar series about female assassins. Neither is particularly graphic, but both have lots of good action. Only the first couple of volumes of Madlax are currently out.
Princess Mononoke: Qualifies in this category, but you should see it anyway if you haven't.

I hesitate to recommend this one, but you might also check out Gunslinger Girls, a well-made series about preteen girls augmented and conditioned as killers. If seeing 10-12-year-old girls gunning down bad guys with automatic weapons or sniper rifles intrigues you, that series is worth a look. Some (including me) do find it conceptually detestable, however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
totalgeek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the new Appleseed movie. I have it on DVD and the animation is superb, the storyline is a little slow in parts (similar to the GITS movies), but the lead female, Deunan Knute, is a one person killing machine. The action sequences are incredibly well done and well worth the price of the DVD.
Federated

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:09 pm Reply with quote
thanks for the suggestions Key. I've seen a few of those, but I will try to check some of those others out.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I second Appleseed (2004), Noir, and Madlax, and recomend Scrapped Princess. While it may have comedy there's a very dark and serious overtone through the whole series. It's a science fiction/fantasy series about a girl named Pacifica Casul who, from birth, was prophesized to destroy the world once she turns 16. The main character isn't really badass in fact she's kind of weak, but there is a good serious storyline, with lots of drama and excellent annimation especially the magical effects.

I think you may also like Elfen Lied as well.
msi435

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm the kind of guy who will always push his favorite series so…. I think you should pick up Saikano. It matches all of your criteria except the fact that it dose have some school girl uniforms in it (those all go away eventually…). Other than that, it has a very serious/depressing story line that will ruin your life for a few days (yes it's that depressing). Personally i think it’s a big step up from the anime you have seen. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Nausicaa: of the valy of the wind. She isn't really "badass" but she was, and I quote a review from this site, "one of the all-time-great anime heroines"

I own it, and I love it. I definatly recomend picking up a copy.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I was going to recommend Scrapped Princess too (because I too like to push my favorite series), but Kruszer beat me to it. Even though the main character is on the weak side, her sister Raquel uses magic and kicks butt. She isn't exactly a "bad-ass" personality, and there is some comedy in the early episodes, but trust us, the storyline gets serious.

Read or Die (series and OVA) is another good choice, and if you skip the first two episodes, Rosette in Chrno Crusade is pretty good. No school uniforms there, just nuns with guns!

Just remembered, after writing the next paragraph--Now and Then, Here and There--the second in command of the fascist army is a woman, and she's pretty frickin' bad-ass. Plus, I don't think I've ever seen a more comedy-devoid series than NTHT, except perhaps Key the Metal Idol.

However, it's pretty hard to find a series without comedy. . .most series like to throw some comedy in the early episodes to draw in viewers, and then turn serious later on. (Trigun, Scrapped Princess, Chrno Crusade, Samurai Champloo, I'm looking in your direction Twisted Evil )
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I think you may also like Elfen Lied as well.
Lucy seems to fit the profile as a "badass" pretty well except for the fact that spoiler[she is a sadist and doesn't seem to mind torturing and killing anyone who gets in her way even if they are somewhat innocent(Nana)]. She's definitely not a heroine though.

Last edited by SnowfairyX on Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Much as I personally like and respect Scrapped Princess, Saikano, and Now and Then, Here and There, saying that any of them has a truly bad-ass heroine is really stretching the definition. Being a bad-ass is about more than just kicking butt; confidence and attitude are also major components.

I agree that Chrono Crusade is worth considering, however. I skipped mentioning it because it does have heavy comedic elements in its early going, though those gradually bleed away over the course of the series. (By vol. 6, which I just finished watching, the series is absolutely grim.)

Appleseed just completely slipped my mind. That is another solid pick.

Elfen Lied? Well, I suppose that one fits the bill. Witch Hunter Robin might also, though whether or not you can truly consider Robin to be a "bad-ass" is debatable.

And I can't believe I'm forgetting Blood: The Last Vampire. Definitely fits this category.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2