• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Honorifics in Anime/Manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I thought I knew my Japanese honorifics pretty well, but I have run across a couple recently in anime and manga that I do not recognize and have had difficulty looking up.

Can someone well-versed in Japanese tell me what the following two mean:

-shama (used by a female character in reference to a female authority figure whom the speaker is in love with)

-rin (context on this one suggests it means "little sister" or something close to that)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gnollman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I thought I knew my Japanese honorifics pretty well, but I have run across a couple recently in anime and manga that I do not recognize and have had difficulty looking up.

Can someone well-versed in Japanese tell me what the following two mean:

-shama (used by a female character in reference to a female authority figure whom the speaker is in love with)

-rin (context on this one suggests it means "little sister" or something close to that)

-rin is a simple diminutive, similar to -chan, but is widely used by girls. It's also used by girls to irritate boys, as my officemate constantly uses it to irritate me when I'm feeling too full of myself.... It's a simple cute ending, very much like -pi, which is another suffix she uses to needle me....

-shama I've never heard, but I would guess that it would be the case that the speaker is simply trying to sound 'cute' when saying -sama. It's similar to baby talk.... in Japanese. Turning 's' sounds into 'sh' sounds is pretty common....
dgreater1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:43 pm Reply with quote
I think I heard the little (i mean really small, as small as a thumb) sidekick girl calling Shaolin, Shao-shama in Mamotte Shugogetten, so my guess is, it's just a cute way of saying -sama
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:29 am Reply with quote
gnollman wrote:
-rin is a simple diminutive, similar to -chan, but is widely used by girls. It's also used by girls to irritate boys, as my officemate constantly uses it to irritate me when I'm feeling too full of myself.... It's a simple cute ending, very much like -pi, which is another suffix she uses to needle me....

-shama I've never heard, but I would guess that it would be the case that the speaker is simply trying to sound 'cute' when saying -sama. It's similar to baby talk.... in Japanese. Turning 's' sounds into 'sh' sounds is pretty common....

That certainly makes sense, given the context in which it appeared. Thanks for the help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:

-rin is a simple diminutive, similar to -chan, but is widely used by girls.

It's also used constantly by Fai in Tsubasa (ie "Kurorin"), yeah, as the liner notes in that series show, the -rin" part is used kind of as a jab against the overly macho character, kind of like calling Rambo "Rambi-bear" or something.

Quote:

This was the case for Rishu in Shougo Getten. That's just how she talked.

Other notable "creative" honorifics,

Sanji from One Piece's "Robin-Chuwan!" and "Nami-Shuwan!" are both his exagerated French-esc variants on "chan".

Various characters notably Bason from Shaman King "Bo'chama!", a combination of the terms "Bo'chan" (kid) and "sama" (master), meaning "young master".

Japanese is a fun language.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Tina in Ai yori aoshi calls Chika "Chika-rin"--Tina comes up with some other cute names, like Natsuki > Nakki (changing the tsu to a small tsu, I guess) and Chizuru > Chizuru-chin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1