• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica English-Dubbed Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I've honestly never heard of this show until now...

Bullshit. You can't spend more than 5 minutes on an anime site without Madoka coming up in some way. Hell, there's ALWAYS a Madoka news/interest feed or two on the front page right here at ANN. To say you've never even heard of it is ridiculous and shows that you are incredibly out of touch with anime.

And in case you missed it, Evangelion has some new movies currently being made and there's a new Gundam.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
So the trailer is lying to me and there's more to the show than it. So, how was I supposed to know until you tell me? That means whoever sees this trailer that isn't already familiar with the show will just think it's generic and not watch it, so how is that good advertising?

Who is going to want to watch the show based on that trailer? Nobody.

The King of Harts wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Bullshit. You can't spend more than 5 minutes on an anime site without Madoka coming up in some way. Hell, there's ALWAYS a Madoka news/interest feed or two on the front page right here at ANN. To say you've never even heard of it is ridiculous and shows that you are incredibly out of touch with anime.

And in case you missed it, Evangelion has some new movies currently being made and there's a new Gundam.

Sorry I haven't heard of every little anime that gets released every season. It's not like the show is a massive phenomenon like Haruhi.

Right now I'm rather enjoying Mawaru Penguindrum, though, so I'm not entirely behind the times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
The Coffee God wrote:
504NOSON2 wrote:
So, after 100+ posts on its trailer's thread, a median user rating of "excellent"(lol), and somewhat accurate claims regarding its commercial success, I felt compelled to watch a couple of episodes of this; what a waste of a perfectly good hour that turned out to be.

To be honest, if you're going to give this series a good fair try, you need to watch at least past ep. 03.
Though it's probably good to get to at least ep. 06 to get a viable opinion of the series.

Since many of you insist that I'm truly doing myself a disservice(and the visuals aren't bad), I may give this one a little more time. There could be more than meets the eye.

Well, at least most of you didn't get your frilly lolicon panties in a bunch, and take my observation about this cartoon *personally*. Rolling Eyes

You sound like a clueless dolt, because the show gets darker later on. It's a parody/deconstruction of the mahou shoujo genre. This is why it's not wise to have strong "opinions" on things you know nothing about.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sorry I haven't heard of every little anime that gets released every season. It's not like the show is a massive phenomenon like Haruhi.

Yes it is. As dtm42 pointed out earlier, it's one of the top selling anime of all time, even more so than Haruhi on a per volume basis.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Actually, the show is a massive phenomenon. The ratings for it were huge, and it's bordering on mainstream in Japan. Being out of the loop is fine, but then again you shouldn't be saying a show isn't that "big" when you're out of the loop. You then come across as clueless or arrogant like you are here.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
So the trailer is lying to me and there's more to the show than it. So, how was I supposed to know until you tell me? That means whoever sees this trailer that isn't already familiar with the show will just think it's generic and not watch it, so how is that good advertising?

The King of Harts wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Right now I'm rather enjoying Mawaru Penguindrum, though, so I'm not entirely behind the times.

Uh, it IS a massive phenomenon like Haruhi! Hell, it's MORE popular!

Harts is right, in order to not have heard of this show till now, you would have had to isolate yourself FROM THE ENTIRE INTERNET for the past year.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
So the trailer is lying to me and there's more to the show than it. So, how was I supposed to know until you tell me?

And yet, we did tell you, and you still posted as though you didn't understand the trailer was trolling you.

As I told someone else, read the thread before butting in.

penguintruth wrote:
That means whoever sees this trailer that isn't already familiar with the show will just think it's generic and not watch it, so how is that good advertising?

Nobody, that's right. And it's their loss. But besides, the Anime is so popular and well-known that I believe (and obviously Aniplex believes) that most people who will buy the series already knows that the show has more depth than meets the eye.

Basically, Aniplex doesn't need to advertise, except to say the discs are ready to pre-order, come get them before they conceivably sell out.

penguintruth wrote:

So you somehow have not heard of the highest selling Anime of the year as well as the show with the most fan buzz? It has easily outsold any of the Haruhi seasons and is currently more talked-about than Haruhi by a country mile. Where have you been for the past eleven months?
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Guess they should have a retirement home for cranky old fans or something. This would be like, "What's this Avatar movie you're talking about? This couldn't have made any money, because I haven't heard about it! Get off my grass, you whipper snappers!"
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I've honestly not heard a word about this show from anywhere outside of this thread and 4chan. To say it's bigger than Haruhi is ludicrous, Haruhi was everywhere for a year. I watch Japanese television frequently and have never seen so much as an ad for it.

Even 4chan didn't talk that much about it. I've seen more threads about Penguindrum.

And dtm42, the job of a trailer is to convince people to watch it. If all it's doing is lying to the consumer nobody is going to want to watch it except the people already in the know. It's awful marketing.

The purpose of marketing is to actually get as many people to watch as possible. By snubbing those not in the know, they've effectively cut out two thirds of the potential audience.

Last edited by penguintruth on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
You sound like a clueless dolt, because the show gets darker later on. It's a parody/deconstruction of the mahou shoujo genre. This is why it's not wise to have strong "opinions" on things you know nothing about.

I don't wish to engage in a festival of hurling insults with someone, whom I assume is a grown man, that's already been banned for being a rude, abhorrent, childish troll. But, how do I "know nothing about" the show, when I've watched two episodes? And how are my "opinions strong", when I decided to actually watch a show within a genre I generally detest, concluded the show was perishable, was later sold on it, and then decided to continue? Maybe another time-out is needed for you, mister. It isn't that serious. I suspect there's more going on here than just an extremely weird obsession with this show.

And spare me the "deconstruction" manure. As if this show is some complex psychoanalysation of its genre, with deep symbolic meaning. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by 504NOSON2 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't call it bigger than Haruhi, we have yet to see a religion being made out of it. But it is bigger than Haruhi is at the moment, even with The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya being released. It has sold more discs than any of the Haruhi series have, although the latter almost certainly has sold far more in merchandise sales. And I would easily state that it is better than Haruhi too, though I have not yet watched the Haruhi movie (I do own it though).

But anyway, PMMM has had many articles here at ANN, I question how you've managed to somehow avoid all of them until now. Also, many of the major Anime blogs and podcasts (even Colony Drop) were covering this show when it was being aired, and there were many YouTube videos too.

penguintruth wrote:
And dtm42, the job of a trailer is to convince people to watch it. If all it's doing is lying to the consumer nobody is going to want to watch it except the people already in the know. It's awful marketing.

The purpose of marketing is to actually get as many people to watch as possible. By snubbing those not in the know, they've effectively cut out two thirds of the potential audience.

Awful marketing? HAVE YOU NOT READ THE PART WHERE I STATE THAT THIS IS THE FOURTH HIGHEST-SELLING ANIME SHOW EVER (yes, I was initially wrong with saying it was number two)?

Yeah, the marketing strategy was really horrible and the show barely sold at all . . . . . .

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't recall hearing anyone at AWO or on the ANNCast discuss it.

I'm not insulting the show or anything, I've just honestly not heard much about it, and the trailer doesn't make it seem great. That's my entire point in this thread, that the trailer is a bad one if it's misleading.

Maybe I'll give it a shot.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't recall hearing anyone at AWO or on the ANNCast discuss it.

animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2011-05-05

Google. Learn to use it.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:

I don't wish to engage in a festival of hurling insults with someone, whom I assume is a grown man, that's already been banned for being a rude, abhorrent, childish troll. But, how do I "know nothing about" the show, when I've watched two episodes? And how are my "opinions strong", when I decided to actually watch a show within a genre I generally detest, concluded the show was perishable, was later sold on it, and then decided to continue? Maybe another time-out is needed for you, mister. It isn't that serious. I suspect there's more going on here than just an extremely weird obsession with this show.

And spare me the "deconstruction" manure. As if this show is some complex, psychoanalysation of its genre, with deep symbolic meaning. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Except

You know

It IS a complex psychoanalyzation of its genre with a ton of symbolism. From what I've heard, it's near Bokurano levels of depressing and tragic
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The Coffee God wrote:

The general consensus of almost everyone that has watched it is "Yes".
Interestingly enough, if that's how you felt about viewing the trailer, then it did its job.

A trailer's job is to convince me to watch a show or movie. This trailer has convinced me NOT to.

I think what he meant was the original Japanese trailer, which is the trailer the english dub one is derived from was to make people believe this was your ordinary mahou shoujo fare. That worked in Japan, albeit just from people recognizing some standout seiyuu in the trailer and watching the show on that alone, as has been noted in the thread that same method won't work here as for many of the english VAs aren't as lauded as their seiyuu counterparts and many people will in effect be turned off by how run of the mill magical girl the trailer plays the series off as. It's a double edged sword mostly, but due to the very good word of mouth and the already built in fan base, this show isn't having trouble winning people over so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 14