• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Greetings and Suggestions?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChurchofVirus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Well I must admit it is about time I joined this community. I have found myself at this site many times the last year at the least.

I like a wide variety of anime though I tend to stay away (or never have the opportunity) to see many. I do not know many IRL that enjoy anime and the rental stores have a little selection. First I'd like to ask if anyone might suggets a way for me to easily see anime, new and old without having to drop 30 bucks for each dvd I see.

I'm also looking for a few suggestions pertaining to 'new' anime that may have came out within the last year or so. There is so much anime out there, the information they give on the back of a dvd box can sometimes be very misleading as can go with reviews, but when someone has an idea of my tastes they might be able to solve my plight. I havn't seen a ton but my *some* favorites are Neon Genisis Evangelion, The Twelve Kingdoms, Ghost in the Shell(Movies and Stand Alone Complex(I love Shirow's work)), Wolf's Rain, Record of Lodoss War, all Ghibli productions and Cowboy Bebop. Most material I'm able to rent is the a lot of the 'not worth mentioning' anime.

I tend to enjoy the more 'serious' animes that actually have developing characters and story. I just picked up my first new anime since I can only get an anime once or every other month and have been getting Wolf's Rain(finally finished!), which is Elfen Lied, which I must say dispite all the as you guys call it 'fanservice' I see this anime to hold a lot of potential. I'm also enjoying Paranoia Agent, Samurai Champloo currently being run on cartoon network.

I hope this made sense and I look forward to the responses, thanks for letting me join your community!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, well if you liked Cowboy Bebop my suggestion might be to give Samurai Champloo a look. They are from the same people although Champloo lacks the seriousness that Bebop had it is still a great series with similar storytelling.

Fullmetal Alchemist is another good one I'd suggest looking into. It's a pretty serious show with alot of depth, not to be confused with Full Metal Panic which is similar in name only.

One that some overlook that I really enjoy is Gunslinger Girl, not really the type of show the name implies. It's definetely a drama, but a very well done one with some pretty nice animation on top of that. It's only 13 episodes but that also means it'll be easy on the pocketbook when all is said and done as it will consist of only 3 DVD's.

At any rate, welcome the ANN forums. As far as viewing anime's without dropping money the best way would be through rentals. The rental stores themselves lack much of a selection, but online places such as Netflix are pretty good with their selection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:04 am Reply with quote
ChurchofVirus wrote:
First I'd like to ask if anyone might suggets a way for me to easily see anime, new and old without having to drop 30 bucks for each dvd I see.

Try Netflix it's about $20 a month. They have a good selection. I view an average of about 20 DVDs a month thru them.
Nirvana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
ChurchofVirus wrote:
First I'd like to ask if anyone might suggets a way for me to easily see anime, new and old without having to drop 30 bucks for each dvd I see.

Try Netflix it's about $20 a month. They have a good selection. I view an average of about 20 DVDs a month thru them.

Yup...

for newer animes, they dont really come out on DVD very early... if they do it'll be hard to find and more expensive since they'll probably be in Japan only... (I think)... uhhh if you want the newest ones that are coming out now in Japan... you can't buy/rent those and i shouldn't say how we get them because it's not allowed on the forums.
ChurchofVirus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies, I'll definatly have to check out Netflix.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Actually, there are a few anime rental sites out there too.

http://www.rentanime.com/
http://www.animeforest.com/
http://www.animetakeout.com/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1