• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
20 years from now, which manga will be considered classics?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dranxis

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:43 am Reply with quote
Just a question out of curiosity. Which contemporary titles do you think will go on to become classics twenty years from now? List reasons: what makes the manga good enough to sustain popularity for a long time? Which manga have had some impact or influence on the industry?
yaoi gurl00
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote
in the future mabe just mabe..fushigi yugi..it by yuu watase..it on dvd.u should watch it..or read the manga.(only 14 volumes are out there is 18 in all).so far its really really good!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Flatline

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Trigun..cause of its intense story-line, cowboy bebop for its animation and fast pased action and soundtrack, spirited away, simply put if you haven't seen this one thats a shame, maybe even ninja scroll simply for the fact that it set the tone for ninja action and for opening the eyes of many people to the world of anime. it was my first anime and I've been hooked ever since. of course those are just my opinions. later!
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
If Oh! My Goddess isn't a classic by now (c'mon folks, Bell and K1 are getting close to their 20th anniversary) then it will be in 20 years.

As for recent/modern titles, I do think Chobits will become a classic because when all was said and done, it was a fine story with lovable characters and fun artwork. Also, I'm of the opinion that we'll still be talking about the Hellsing manga 20 years from now as well as Battle Royale.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Craeyst Raygal about Oh My Goddess!, as it's not only an enjoyable manga with actual substance (something that many series in the comedy/romance genre lack), but it's also helped to popularize the "harem" genre despite not acutally being harem itself (I don't know if I'd call that a overall great thing though...). On the other hand I don't think Chobits is a classic. Well written and very enjoyable, and even with some interesting social commentary, but it does lack focus and is somewhat rushed at the end.

As for my picks, I'd go for Sexy Voice and Robo, as well as Nasu, both by Iou Kuroda. These are not only very well written and fun to read, but Kuroda really has some incredibly bold and experimental storytelling as well as art that's causing major waves in the industry. His innovative approch isn't what you'd expect from mainstreme manga, and I think he's having a real impact on fans.

As for more obvious classics, I have little doubt that things like Vagabond, Planetes, Fullmetal, Monster and Berserk will be considered classics for their sheer popularity and quality. I'd also rank Kare Kano and Blade of the Immortal as oneday classics. The first is one of the biggest shojo mangas out there and definitally one of the best. The second has not only acclaimed and popular in Japan, but it was also one of the first mangas (outside Lone Wolf and Akira) to win critical praise and awards, as well as become popular, in the US.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Flatline wrote:
Trigun..cause of its intense story-line, cowboy bebop for its animation and fast pased action and soundtrack, spirited away, simply put if you haven't seen this one thats a shame, maybe even ninja scroll simply for the fact that it set the tone for ninja action and for opening the eyes of many people to the world of anime. it was my first anime and I've been hooked ever since. of course those are just my opinions. later!

Hey you know you post in the wrong forum? This is asking for Manga, not anime.
integra_fan

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:59 am Reply with quote
I'd say Hellsing. Firstly, it's so action-packed. Secondly, it combines information and/or things that has happened in both the modern world and history. It will keep people's interests in it forever.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:36 am Reply with quote
integra_fan wrote:
I'd say Hellsing. Firstly, it's so action-packed. Secondly, it combines information and/or things that has happened in both the modern world and history. It will keep people's interests in it forever.

Yeah, just like Milli Vanilli's popularity was never going to fade out. Wink

All kidding aside, I would be wary of any title that is excessively "hip", like Hellsing (or Gantz or Bleach). They tend to fade when fashions change.

And be especially wary of yourself, when you hear your mouth (or your keyboard) spouting platitudes like "X is going to last forever".

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote
Apparenty something is a classic if you really like it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:

Yes, precisely. Hey, suum cuique and all that - but it's only a classic if a lot of people still return to it time and again, for decades after, and there's no such animal as an "instant classic".

Case in point: Disney has been marketing all of its productions - whatever they may be - as "Disney Classics". Now, I'll buy the use of the word "classic" for Snow White or Bambi. But marketing last year's semi-flopped OVA as a classic? Nahhh....

Of course, there are some manga/anime that are only a few years old, but which display all the traits of durability. It's fair to assume that these will become classics, in time - but they're not classics now. Sure, I like Hellsing and Gantz, and I'm crazy about Bleach - but I won't call them classics before their time. That time may never come.

Some of the hippest manga/anime right now, with fanboys and/or -girls gushing on every net forum about how great they are, will become as stale as yesterday's news, a decade from now. In fact, the more these fans gush about their craze, the more likely it is to die the death of media over-exposure. So all you Inu-Yasha and Naruto fans out there, for your own sake (and ours): put a sock in it.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps Inu-Yasha is certainly overrated, but at the same time, it's fair enough to say that Takahashi has made her mark on history. I am, and forever will be, a fan of Maison Ikkoku. It's my favorite title. It's been nearly 25 years since the first chapter of that was written. Even prior to that, she started Urusei Yatsura.

Every long series she's done has had a strong fanbase... UY, MI, Ranma, Inu-Yasha... and all has had its share of loyal, die-hard readers. While I'm not as big a fan of Inu-Yasha as some of her other work, I can't help but recognize its potential. Is it destined to become a classic alongside her other works? I suspect it will. Sure, there will be those who get tired of it, and the craze will die down a bit. But even so, the die-hard ones will remain, and they will retain a strong presence in fandom.

By the way Abunai, for what it's worth, I think Bleach is one of the best titles to come out in quite some time, given the strength of its characters and storyline. I really enjoy how it keeps on twisting and turning. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I think Inu Yasha, even though it is a successful Rumiko Takahashi series, isn't going to be a classic in the way Urasei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, and Maison Ikkoku have become classics as it shares a bit too much in common with other recent popular series.

Let's be honest, there've been a veritable ton of "regular modern girl surrounded by pretty guys from another era" series since Fushigi Yugi hit it big. Inu Yasha is simply one of the more successful variants on the theme.

I agree that Hellsing has hype and a letdown of a television series holding it back. However, I believe that its mix of audacious attitude, striking art, and instantly memorable characters will give it staying power

And, quite frankly, off the top of my head it's the only series out there right now that offers quality pandering to the Masamune Shirow/Kenichi Sonoda fanbase.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:

Well, I'll agree that BotI and Kare Kano are more of personal favorites, and Fullmetal and Planetes are certainly arguable, but I can't see people 20 years from now just casually remembering Monster and Vagabond (not that they're better than the series above, just that they get more recognition within the industry and are so popular). Also while Iou's works may not be blockbusters, they certianly get alot of attention from critics and a core fanbase. In anycase he has brought alot of innovation to mainstream manga, and hopefully Sexy Voice will take off stateside among indie comic readers and some manga fans looking for something diffrent.
As for Hellsing (as well as Gantz and Bleach, which I think is a bit overhyped at the moment), I'll compare it to Gunsmith Cats: disposable fun that does have staying power. It may not end up being a classic (nor does it deserve to be) but people will still probobly be reading in ten years, like they are with GSC. There are indeed alot of fans who hype things to be instant classics (Death Note fangirls, I'm looking at you), and only time will really tell which ones are classics.
That said, I will add one more manga that I think will become a classic (one that I somehow forgot until looking at abunai's post): Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. It certainly isn't a "flavor of the week" series, and it's proven to have lasting power, with more than a decade under its belt. More importantly, I think that unlike so many stories today it really has something more to offer than a quick fix of fun. I was impressed when I first read it, but it took a couple of volumes before I really "got" what makes the series so special; before I really fell in love with it. It certainly deserves to be remembered as a classic, and I'd be suprised if it one day wasn't.
milcor1

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Dare I say it..... Dragonball? Lol! No seriously.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote
milcor1 wrote:
Dare I say it..... Dragonball? Lol! No seriously.

Isn't this already a classic? It's like the one of the original shonen title that people have remember and loved or hate. I could even add ranma 1/2 too.

Aaron White wrote:

I don't know. I can say something like "Captain Sailor Man" is a classic because I really like it, but if nobody else even heard of it, than nobody else is going to take you seriously.

I think it takes more to be a classic. It has to be something memorable by the majority of fandoms.

Kagemusha wrote:
Aaron White wrote:

As for Hellsing (as well as Gantz and Bleach, which I think is a bit overhyped at the moment), I'll compare it to Gunsmith Cats: disposable fun that does have staying power.

Bleach? Hellsing, Hell no jackalopes....it's been done.

As for GANTZ, if it ever come over here, I will say it could be a classic over "here" in the U.S. You can say that it's overplayed because of the violence, nudity, and popularity, but looking at the whole american manga market and what it have given us. Berserk? Parasyte? Battle Royale?

I don't think many come close to Gantz's art/story, not even planetes. Well there are certainly a lot more manga in japan that are more extreme, they're just not well recognize to stand the test of time.

Last edited by darkhunter on Wed May 25, 2005 11:19 pm; edited 9 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3