• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
thin-poliboxes are better case for anime dvd?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BRUSCO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:18 pm Reply with quote
thin-poliboxes are better case for anime dvd?
the thinpak cd cases with sleeve are very pretty and compact, but the manufacturers don´t use them.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:22 pm Reply with quote
simply throwing in the word anime a few times doesn't make the thread relevant nor anime specific. Could you please, for the sake of everyone here, STOP POSTING THREADS ALL OF THE TIME.
Klampo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I like them better than the plastic multidisk cases Bandai has and a few other companies have been using.

Their soo cheap. They break way too easily. Had my Boogiepop Phantom case broken on arrival, same with my Please Teacher collection
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Klampo wrote:
I like them better than the plastic multidisk cases Bandai has and a few other companies have been using.

Their soo cheap. They break way too easily. Had my Boogiepop Phantom case broken on arrival, same with my Please Teacher collection

Yeah, I just started watching Crest of the Stars and noticed how weird it felt to hold that really thick case with so little space actually taken up. It's almost like holding an empty box.

I wish Bandai would make better box sets, either like the normal boxes with the individual keep cases (and for some, having dual disc holder inside, a la Outlaw Star or Saber Marionette) or the boxes with the super thin cases like Gundam Zeta.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I like the thin boxes better. My anime shelves are running out of room meaning I will soon have to create another shelf for my DVDs. If however, companies would use the thinner cases I could easily double my anime title density. The only DVD's I own in the smaller boxes are the Arrested Developement season one box and the Home Movies box. Sad
matticans

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Ya i got Family Guy Season One box set and it is a little bigger than one anime dvd case. I too have the big problem of shelve space. My shelf has become a sort of castle, because I am having to stack my box sets on top of the book case I have. On top of that I seriously do not think I have enough room for another book case. (If I ever get a digital camera I will take a pic and post it in the Show us your shelves thread)

That is why I really hope more anime comes in smaller cases. Not individuals so much as sets. Like the Steel Angel Kurumi box set. It is really compact and has like 7 discs in it. Not only was that box set smaller, but it also cost me barely any money. I guess that might be one of the reasons companies like releasing those huge box sets that cost you an arm and a leg. But as long as people keep buying those expensive box sets, because i know i probably will, the companies will keep making them.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps I should elaborate. I do have a few of the "perfect collection" boxsets such as Orphen which do help save shelf space, but what I want is more of the slim individual boxes. Smile
deathbringer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather see boxes with regular size DVD cases. While thinpacks may save space, I've always thought they looked like crap.
Lupin_333

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I like the slim-line cases. I have no shelf space, so they work better, plus it looks really wierd when you have a Demon Lord Dante DVD Artbox that's bigger than seasons 1 & 2 of Ren and Stimpy & Family Guy combined.

- R3x
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:39 pm Reply with quote
From a marketing point of view I can easily see why manufacturers wouldn't want to use thinpacks. Since you're cutting the spine down by half you're also losing half of your visual presence. If people can't see your disc then they aren't going to buy it. Could you imagine how bland video stores would look if all you saw were row after row of flat cases with very little art or titles showing to tell them apart?

I'm pretty happy with the current formal, they're just big enough. Personally I'd like to see them go with a CD type case, only still as wide as a DVD case, that way you can double your space by using a smaller CD shelf rather than thinning them out.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1